Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2016, 03:12 PM

102,213 posts, read 107,931,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Last Native Californian was Ishi.

Ishi
'Mutt, sorry, I gotta call on this--CA still has plenty of Native Californians. I know you know that, but I gotta do what I gotta do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2016, 03:16 PM

21,741 posts, read 16,356,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
'Mutt, sorry, I gotta call on this--CA still has plenty of Native Californians. I know you know that, but I gotta do what I gotta do.
Yeah, you're right. But he's still my hero for the real unadulterated deal.

Old 07-10-2016, 05:29 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,294,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrontierMan View Post
I don't hate California, I love it! It's the people I can't stand.
People in CA are passive-aggressive. It's very effeminate. If you have something to say, say it like a man. Don't play coy like a girl. People in CA are self-centered. CA has an entitlement mentality that rivals nowhere else on earth. People in CA are very materialistic. I thought you people were supposed to be laid back?
CA is a poster child for liberal America. It's an ugly thing.
you have issues.

Old 07-10-2016, 05:38 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,294,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obrienlester View Post
The snobbiness of native Californians. I work at a major Airport in Texas, anytime that I get a flight in my section from Los Angeles, or San Fransisco I always tend to meet some person that has an Entitlement complex, when I tell them that they need to move over to the smoking area (when they're obviously smoking in the non smoking area) they want to complain about moving there or give some sort of attitude.
The two major airports in Texas are DFW and IAH, both are smoke free. What major airport in Texas do you work at that allows smoking.

Old 07-11-2016, 07:22 AM

8 posts, read 6,532 times
I've lived all over the country, including California and other desirable places, and my issue is more about the naivete people have about CA. First, there are those from California who think it's the best because everyone wants to move there but they themselves haven't lived anywhere else, California is the center of their world. Then there are those who haven't lived there, maybe just visited, but talk it up as if it's the best place ever. Often times these same people are coming from an undesirable place and see CA as the only option, and nothing else. I see the naivete personally sometimes, where people ask where I've lived and I mention California, they get all excited, ask why I even left and how they want to move there someday, when they actually don't know much about the place.

Old 07-11-2016, 07:26 AM

4,369 posts, read 3,724,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddie911 View Post
I've lived all over the country, including California and other desirable places, and I think my issue is more about the naivete people have about CA. First, there are those from California who think it's the best because everyone wants to move there but they themselves haven't lived anywhere else, California is the center of their world. Then there are those who haven't lived there, maybe just visited, but talk it up as if it's the best place ever. Often times these same people are coming from an undesirable place and see CA as the only option, and nothing else. I see the naivete personally sometimes, where people ask where I've lived and I mention California, they get all excited, ask why I even left and how they want to move there someday, when they actually don't know much about the place.
The movie industry is why people want to live there so much, they think it's some flawless place.

Old 07-11-2016, 08:29 AM

1,199 posts, read 1,649,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perma Bear View Post
The movie industry is why people want to live there so much, they think it's some flawless place.
Yep, One big back lot movie set....CALIFORNIA | Visit California
//www.city-data.com/forum/calif...er-living.html

Last edited by sourdough; 07-11-2016 at 08:38 AM..

Old 07-11-2016, 01:27 PM

1,204 posts, read 1,976,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddie911 View Post
I've lived all over the country, including California and other desirable places, and my issue is more about the naivete people have about CA. First, there are those from California who think it's the best because everyone wants to move there but they themselves haven't lived anywhere else, California is the center of their world. Then there are those who haven't lived there, maybe just visited, but talk it up as if it's the best place ever. Often times these same people are coming from an undesirable place and see CA as the only option, and nothing else. I see the naivete personally sometimes, where people ask where I've lived and I mention California, they get all excited, ask why I even left and how they want to move there someday, when they actually don't know much about the place.
I and most of my good friends that I grew up with in Santa Barbara are long gone from California. Crime, traffic, and the high cost of living were all contributing factors. For me I got tired of "beach monsters", the sun and surf party like nothing else matters crowd, but that was more my issue than theirs. None of us who left that I still keep in contact miss California. However the few friends that I do have that stayed have done very well in California, love it, and are happy.

I think the above post by fasteddie911 sums things up. California is a beautiful place to live and depending on your interest and circumstances you can live a high quality of life in California. But the same can be said elsewhere. The weather on the California coast is hard to beat, but that is only one factor in building a decent life for yourself.

Old 07-12-2016, 06:48 PM

430 posts, read 290,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
California is surprisingly clean and nice compared to what people from texas have told me. Also has a lower poverty rate.

Old 07-13-2016, 10:09 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,273,163 times
Wasn't sure if I was going to reply to this thread, but then again why not?

Do I hate California? Hate is a strong word and no I don't hate her, she raised me up into me early 20's. I canvassed her neighborhoods, back then you knew your neighbors and most likely spent enough time in each others homes, you knew each other's floor plans as well. I was able to enjoy her lakes and mountains and play in her ocean with my family.

She also drove me out of the Central Valley and the state entirely as I could no longer stomach the endless traffic jams, smog, stagnant heat (except for Winter with the tule fog), the entitlement vibe and the enormous population.

Does that the describe the state and her people as a whole? No, never even came close to saying that.

Situations, circumstances and over population is what cemented the notion of my husband and I leaving there.

Could we eventually see all or some those again in Idaho (we arrived in 1991), I'm thinking that it could be possible, but hopefully not during our lifetime. See, as many like to point out, not sure if it's a jab since we see it as a compliment, Idaho is a tad behind "the times" and well if it's like "the times" we left behind then we're pleased

Do we visit? Yes, mostly family though not the touristy venues. In fact, I was in Fresno in mid May, not a vacation destination, but did spend a few days at a friend's home so i could catch up with she and other friends and some family members as well.

So for those who enjoy living there, carry on, there's nothing wrong if you enjoy it. For a few of you who've I read posts on this thread, if you don't enjoy it, you can leave if you want to, of yo're not making the effort, I'm not thinking you truly want to leave.

Meanwhile, I'm going to sit back and enjoy my 52* morning with the windows open and the birds singing and other simple pleasures like going to DMV sans appointment on a Friday during the Noon hour and taking care of business in less than 15 minutes. Yeah, things are set up to do some things online, but then I couldn't know whether or not Jen's son got into the college he wanted and if Rob's first grandbaby arrived healthy last week
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California