Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2016, 05:05 PM

1,187 posts, read 1,328,918 times

Advertisements

Why is it that people, even some of my relatives seem to hate California? If they don't live here, and we aren't bothering them, what's the big deal?

They sure like to vacation here I know that
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2016, 05:11 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,090,570 times
A combination of butthurt and an inferiority complex, I suspect.

There is also the fact that California often leads the nation with more restrictive laws, which I am sure many other states resent.

But what I have found is that a criticism of California will be met, by many Californians, with a "meh," while the identical criticism of another state will be met with massive amounts of denial and butthurt. I think California has a lot less to prove--it is a destination state, with an abundance of beauty and many attractions. So what if someone from West Hooterville doesn't like it? I sure don't care. It's no skin off my nose.

However, other states feel the sting sometimes of being thought of as too boring, too stinky, too drab (to some) and are always trying to "prove" something. Which I don't think they should do. I think it's normal to love the state you're from, and every state of the union has something wonderful going for it--which may or may not be evident to outsiders, but which should be obvious to those who choose to make that state their home. So why the butthurt? Oh well, it is what it is.

Old 07-07-2016, 05:21 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,041,876 times
Envy

Old 07-07-2016, 09:09 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,545,216 times
If you don't like CA, don't move here. Simple.

Old 07-07-2016, 09:12 PM

2,986 posts, read 4,576,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvira310 View Post
A combination of butthurt and an inferiority complex, I suspect.

There is also the fact that California often leads the nation with more restrictive laws, which I am sure many other states resent.

But what I have found is that a criticism of California will be met, by many Californians, with a "meh," while the identical criticism of another state will be met with massive amounts of denial and butthurt. I think California has a lot less to prove--it is a destination state, with an abundance of beauty and many attractions. So what if someone from West Hooterville doesn't like it? I sure don't care. It's no skin off my nose.

However, other states feel the sting sometimes of being thought of as too boring, too stinky, too drab (to some) and are always trying to "prove" something. Which I don't think they should do. I think it's normal to love the state you're from, and every state of the union has something wonderful going for it--which may or may not be evident to outsiders, but which should be obvious to those who choose to make that state their home. So why the butthurt? Oh well, it is what it is.
Great post, spot on

Old 07-07-2016, 09:45 PM

1,963 posts, read 3,043,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slytrix View Post
Why is it that people, even some of my relatives seem to hate California? If they don't live here, and we aren't bothering them, what's the big deal?

Out of curiosity, why do you care? And how are you going to determine "the right answer" to your question?

Old 07-07-2016, 10:06 PM

21,735 posts, read 16,346,385 times
"Chip on their shoulders"? Everything's got chips these days. Smaller and faster every year.
Only good chip is a chocolate chip though, far as I'm concerned.

Old 07-08-2016, 08:05 AM

706 posts, read 757,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slytrix View Post

I'm not sure how someone could hate a place if they've never been there. I have searched long and hard for another state to live in and California seems the best option for me (I lived near SF as a child but don't remember much from that time). I must admit that the red-tape and politics of the state concern me since I hear people from CA complain about it quite a bit, but I'm not sure that's a good enough reason to hate the whole state.

Old 07-08-2016, 08:21 AM

387 posts, read 512,033 times
I Love California! I agree it can be jealousy triggering most of the "chips on shoulders" that OP is talking about. Think about it.. They have to struggle to pay flights and hotels just to visit OUR home while we get to stay here after many tourist's vacation. The most depressing part for midwestern tourist is the landing back to their flat, boring, nothing-going-on small town of theirs.

Old 07-08-2016, 09:35 AM

1,886 posts, read 2,098,948 times
I can speak for my relatives & old friends from the Midwest.

Prior to ever stepping foot in CA they seem to harbor a bitterness fueled by CA's overreaching Political agenda, as well as resentment of the Cali-life-is-better-than-yours mentality that the state certainly exports on a regular basis.

Then they come visit and don't want to leave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California