Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2020, 10:26 PM

21,740 posts, read 16,356,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Citizen! I've been waiting for you to weigh in on this subject. I've been wondering where you've been.
Roflmao
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2020, 11:02 PM

19,221 posts, read 16,701,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizensadvocate View Post
Its interesting how Progressives want to legislate a nanny state to protect people from themselves as well as strict controls on how to raise children.
They've done a remarkable job in doing so, too. If you need proof of that, look at all the recent 911 calls from people who couldn't find any toilet paper in the stores. They felt the police should do something. This is what you get when you let the government control your life. <sigh>

Old 04-09-2020, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
They've done a remarkable job in doing so, too. If you need proof of that, look at all the recent 911 calls from people who couldn't find any toilet paper in the stores. They felt the police should do something. This is what you get when you let the government control your life. <sigh>
Actually, it’s what you get when people can’t find any tp.

Old 04-09-2020, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Actually, it’s what you get when people can’t find any tp.
Seriously? Please ...

Old 04-10-2020, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Seriously? Please ...
Semi-seriously. I agree with the part of your sentiment that calling 911 for toilet paper shortages is ridiculous and shows abdication of self-reliance.

That said, there are no advanced societies in the developed world that are populated by a majority of ‘rugged individualists’ of the type we all like to envision ourselves to be. No political ideology, right, left, libertarian, democratic, totalitarian allows for or fosters mass rugged individualism. It’s just the nature of the civilization beast to deeply control its minions ... we can’t function any other way in large societies.

Thus: calls for tp, and anything else that the public has become conditioned to depend on, when supply is decimated: it’s the government’s fault I can’t wipe my butt’! ... And, in a way, it is. But homo sapiens live this way because we are fanatically committed to endless growth and complexity.

The quick read of the history of tp, btw, is quite interesting. What people did before it was patented in small, perforated sheets in the mid-1800’s we would never readjust to now.

And one final mention about the critical nature of modern tp: this product is an efficient solution that is VERY good for public health in our large societies. The pathogens in our fecal processes call for greater and greater cleanliness as we live closer and closer together. Rougher and less efficient alternate products - such as newspaper, moss, corn husks, leaves et al - engender more error of use - via lesser use, more handling error, and difficulties of disposal. Toilets and sewage systems can’t handle anything but the special, soft paper. The result would be far greater disease exposures to all kinds of pathogens from hepatitis and staph infections to who knows how many others.

Thus: call 911! We’re out of toilet paper! ... is hilarious, yet not so surprising

Old 04-10-2020, 11:43 AM

228 posts, read 161,994 times
Reusable bags are way more sanitary that plastic ones even in this COVID situation, especially if you pack them yourself.

One can throw reusable bag in the laundry after using it once. Reusable ones get groped by cashier all over, who packs many of them (instead of stuffing more food into one reusable bag) and then you have to touch them, bring the infection in to your home, and immediately dispose of them, unless you're willing to spray and quarantine them for few days. If one doesn't want to launder reusable bag, it's easier to spray to sanitize it. People will trow these infested plastic bags into the fridge, keeping food in them, usually, and will be getting COVID on their hands for days.

My reusable bag is cleaner than the plastic filth coughed all over and touched by un-gloved hands in the store, in most parts of the States cashiers and store employees have no masks or gloves to this date. (not that I'd ever shop anywhere without self-checkout again until COVID is over, but even at self-checkout stations multiple customers touch the reusable bags handles over entire pack of them...eeek)

Old 04-10-2020, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post

The pathogens in our fecal processes call for greater and greater cleanliness as we live closer and closer together.
Tis true and I see someone's sputum in the same way. Personally, I am disgusted when I see someone spitting on the ground. You never know what sort of contagious bacteria is in that which is why people should think twice about walking around barefooted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldcitizen10 View Post
Reusable bags are way more sanitary that plastic ones even in this COVID situation, especially if you pack them yourself.
I do both. I have my own homemade cloth grocery bags. I started making them in the 70's after the first Green Day event. Been using them ever since. They are washed in hot water with a little bleach after every use. My decision to use cloth bags and napkins didn't evolve due to sanitary reasons but more as a practical way to contribute to the three R's.

Old 04-10-2020, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Tis true and I see someone's sputum in the same way. Personally, I am disgusted when I see someone spitting on the ground. You never know what sort of contagious bacteria is in that which is why people should think twice about walking around barefooted.
I am a barefoot guy whenever / wherever possible. And by that I mean the obvious limits: too cold, too wet, too much broken glass, too hot, too much goose/duck/dog poo ... and VERY much: too many people spitting on the walkways! Agreed!

Old 04-10-2020, 01:23 PM

228 posts, read 161,994 times
Quote:

I do both. I have my own homemade cloth grocery bags. I started making them in the 70's after the first Green Day event. Been using them ever since. They are washed in hot water with a little bleach after every use. My decision to use cloth bags and napkins didn't evolve due to sanitary reasons but more as a practical way to contribute to the three R's.

I grew up only having cloth reusable bags available....and they were hardly ever washed, really. I recall they were quite dirty, as store vegetables weren't washed either before they're sold. If I had a luxury of a small plastic polyethylene bag, I'd wash it and dry it for reuse. People's immune systems used to be way better than now. Used to be no septic regulations, no well setbacks, and there used to be a cow, an outhouse and a well on the same lot, all close together, and no one was getting sick. Now people's immune systems are weak and at the same time pathogens travel from all around the world. I wouldn't go barefoot anywhere.

Old 04-10-2020, 01:30 PM

26,735 posts, read 26,820,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by worldcitizen10 View Post

One can throw reusable bag in the laundry after using it once. Reusable ones get groped by cashier all over, who packs many of them (instead of stuffing more food into one reusable bag) and then you have to touch them, bring the infection in to your home, and immediately dispose of them, unless you're willing to spray and quarantine them for few days.
I've got to agree with you there. When I went to the market today, the clerk started bagging my groceries in those heavy plastic bags that most of us haven't used in years. I tried to put the rest of my stuff in my reusable cloth bags, but the person bagging was too fast for me. The customer is slowed down as a result of being gloved and masked--the latter of which is required now in L.A. now--as well as trying to get one's card out and use the debit machine, which doesn't always take when your fingers are covered in plastic.

So now I have three heavy duty plastic bags that need to be de-contaminated. I hated those things even before the coronavirus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California