Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2018, 02:49 AM

33,316 posts, read 12,546,342 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
My niece is graduating from Baylor this spring so going back to Texas. This time I'm checking out Dallas. Looking forward to it and will report back with my findings.
SD and Mr. 5150 have obviously had different experiences with the people (and also haven't lived here), but I think, generally, the people, are a plus/a bonus/a benefit re living in Texas. I may leave...but missing being within reasonable driving distance of downhill skiing would be the biggest reason..nothing to do with the people, and I don't think I would enjoy living in El Paso (the only one of the six largest cities in Texas that is within fairly close driving distance to downhill/Alpine skiing). I'm thinking Las Vegas, and also getting a small condo in Brian Head, UT, and then reevaluating in about 10 years and then either staying put, or moving to the Chattanooga, TN metro (similar tax benefits to Nevada from 2022 on, major league baseball nearby in Atlanta, and skiing in either Mentone, AL or Gatlinburg, TN and (if I do that) then possibly doing part of the year on a boat (as Tulemutt does most of the year), but would choose the Gulf Coast of Florida (somewhere around Tampa/St. Pete). I really like the areas that Derek is looking at (Vancouver, and places closer to or on the coast in WA), but...as some others in this thread familiar with the area have mentioned...I think that particular combination of cold and dampness might not be optimal, at least re my preferences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2018, 01:39 PM

10,351 posts, read 8,576,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
i

Same here.

And I'm a Bay Area native who has also lived in Newport Beach, two towns in the Sierras (one of them in Nevada), and have lived in the Houston metro for the last 10 years.

Mr. 5150 has never lived in Texas. His son lives here (unless he has moved), but he has never lived here....and, IIRC, neither has Seain Dublin.

I've been to 48 states, and I've had people all over the country tell me that they've never met anyone from Texas that they didn't like. I've never had anyone tell me that re California.
Had to rep you for making valid points

Old 02-05-2018, 03:56 PM

626 posts, read 626,645 times
Quote:
i

Same here.

And I'm a Bay Area native who has also lived in Newport Beach, two towns in the Sierras (one of them in Nevada), and have lived in the Houston metro for the last 10 years.

Mr. 5150 has never lived in Texas. His son lives here (unless he has moved), but he has never lived here....and, IIRC, neither has Seain Dublin.

I've been to 48 states, and I've had people all over the country tell me that they've never met anyone from Texas that they didn't like. I've never had anyone tell me that re California.
Seriously Sean wants to put me down for having s family and not being able to afford LA. My guess is he is just a troll.

Old 02-05-2018, 04:38 PM

1,963 posts, read 3,045,733 times
Quote:
i

Same here.

Let me guess - you are white. My experiences in Texas were that there is a not insignificant racist population living there - based on my travels for work over the years.

Old 02-05-2018, 10:32 PM

7,649 posts, read 4,606,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
I
Here are a few recent shots doing so.
Those are some awesome pics. Quietly poetic. The river flows on, the sun goes down, the sea is as it ever was.

California is like an on again/off again relationship that you just keep doing because you see so much amazing potential and had such fun memories. But others see it as well. There's competition and nastiness in many ways. There's moments of contented perfection and amazement. It's a hard life made to look easy. I think people get upset because they wanted to things to work out. They feel forced to move out, or forced to move back or see it happen to their friend base..affecting them as well.

But the good times stick in the mind...and one thinks...why can't they all be like that. Where did it go.

Old 02-06-2018, 07:45 AM

10,351 posts, read 8,576,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo666 View Post
Let me guess - you are white. My experiences in Texas were that there is a not insignificant racist population living there - based on my travels for work over the years.
While I don't doubt you, the only 3 incidents that I encountered of not being white were all in California. Having lived in the south for two years now I thought I might encounter more of it here than a state like California that prides itself on being liberal and accepting.

Old 02-06-2018, 12:56 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,951,328 times
Quote:
i

Same here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo666 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
While I don't doubt you, the only 3 incidents that I encountered of not being white were all in California. Having lived in the south for two years now I thought I might encounter more of it here than a state like California that prides itself on being liberal and accepting.
I've only spent one day of my entire life in Texas, but from here it looks like minority populations do pretty well there, especially in Dallas and Houston. My first ever trip to the proper "South" will be in a few months, and I'll be happy to report how I feel then.

I've met Texans and Californians I don't like, and plenty of each that I do. I don't know what that has to do with being white or not (). Texans are abhorred in the state I live in now, by pretty much everybody.

CA can definitely be "racist", I've experienced the general definition of the word in rural CA, and even the generational type among Latinos in So Cal (the second gen being the most problem ).

Old 02-08-2018, 08:47 PM

117 posts, read 149,885 times
As much as I've ranted about what goes on in this state when the time comes I will do so quietly, not just mentioning it on this forum but also with those around me. It won't be to hard because I don't socialize anymore. Go luck to you when your time comes.

Old 02-08-2018, 09:16 PM

8,217 posts, read 16,708,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Another Place View Post
As much as I've ranted about what goes on in this state when the time comes I will do so quietly, not just mentioning it on this forum but also with those around me. It won't be to hard because I don't socialize anymore. Go luck to you when your time comes.
Thanks, Another Place. If we do go I'll probably mention it on here. I guess I sorta did already (beforehand). lol It'll be more to update folks I've been sharing our adventures with. I basically started the Monterey forum after lobbying for it ~ 10 year ago. So its gonna be weird not living there or posting on that forum as much.

Derek

Old 02-08-2018, 09:45 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,648,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberfx1024 View Post
Seriously Sean wants to put me down for having s family and not being able to afford LA. My guess is he is just a troll.
No, actually I have a very good memory. Because you posted all of your business on the LA forum.

You moved from NC with your wife and kids, your wife has a teaching credential and could have worked but didn't, you also went out a bought a new car.

No one said LA isn't expensive, but you caused a lot of your own financial issues.

But it's easier to blame it all on CA rather than look in the mirror.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California