Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2018, 01:15 AM

2,209 posts, read 2,319,799 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
The people that bash California on their way out couldn’t make it and are bitter. It’s like the guy at the bar who strikes out all night then talks sh** about the girls.
Or maybe they just wanted to live someplace else, for a variety of reasons. Why assume they all left because they couldn’t “make it”? Some can make it just fine but choose to relocate so that they can make it better or easier somewhere else. Nice try to generalize.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2018, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompilot View Post
I was mostly teasing him. There's a lot of lets just say...strange....people that live on boats. If you've spent much time in a marina that allows liveaboards I'm sure you have noticed the trend that most of them are older men who live alone. And there's a reason for that -which is most women aren't interested in living on a boat. Or in the men who want to live on a boat. Exceptions to every rule of course. I have known all kinds of people who lived on their boat, even some couples, but all of them....definitely march to a different drum.

I actually admire this minimalist "drop out of society" attitude. Its very beat. Not sarcastic....serious. Its an attractive idea - but I suppose like anything other people do (or have) that you don't, it probably looks better than it is.

It also doesn't work if more than a tiny fragment of society chooses to live that way.
Many more “strange” people living in cities than on boats.

Old 04-14-2018, 01:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Yep, mostly single older men. My father in law was also one (as is the case with the friend I mentioned). Lived on a House Boat in FL.

Minimalist is OK if you enjoy the life and I have no problem with it either. Marriage however includes seeing that your mate also gets what they want, within reason. It can't be all about self or .... you end up on a boat ... alone. In CA it does have potential if your income level is not good IF ........ you can buy a boat.
Living alone on a boat is heaven for many people though. Why assume your views regarding that lifestyle are valid or meaningful to anyone but you? You simply offered a subjective opinion about a certain lifestyle, nothing more. People like and dislike different things. That’s why restaurants have menus!

Old 04-14-2018, 05:56 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,409,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyJ34 View Post
Living alone on a boat is heaven for many people though. Why assume your views regarding that lifestyle are valid or meaningful to anyone but you? You simply offered a subjective opinion about a certain lifestyle, nothing more. People like and dislike different things. That’s why restaurants have menus!
I did not diss it, just made observations based on people I know and reality. If people love it, good for them.

Old 04-14-2018, 10:34 AM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
Thanks, Another Place. If we do go I'll probably mention it on here. I guess I sorta did already (beforehand). lol It'll be more to update folks I've been sharing our adventures with. I basically started the Monterey forum after lobbying for it ~ 10 year ago. So its gonna be weird not living there or posting on that forum as much.

Derek
Hey, OP, how about an update? What are the results so far of your research on moving to the NW?

Old 04-14-2018, 10:52 AM

5,267 posts, read 4,185,431 times
The day I leave Ca and cross the state line I'm going to be tooting my horn and have a American flag flapping in the wind outside my car window. So sorry but I'm not going quietly w/o making a scene

Old 04-14-2018, 10:56 AM

15,253 posts, read 12,974,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
The day I leave Ca and cross the state line I'm going to be tooting my horn and have a American flag flapping in the wind outside my car window. So sorry but I'm not going quietly w/o making a scene
Woo-hoo!

Old 04-14-2018, 02:19 PM

224 posts, read 298,212 times
We lived all our lives in California for about 54 years and then moved to Michigan. What a difference. Yes, California has changed a LOT over time. California is really beautiful in many aspects. The problem with California boils down to one simple thing. Too many people, but I guess the whole world is getting like that.

Old 04-14-2018, 03:34 PM

19,222 posts, read 16,710,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
Picturing that in my head right now and imagining strangers on the side of the road saying, "Hey look! A parade. Let's follow and see where it leads!"

Old 04-14-2018, 03:50 PM

8,343 posts, read 6,436,914 times
The problem with California boils down to one simple thing. It's a one party state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California