Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2018, 04:33 AM

33,315 posts, read 12,546,342 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Roger all that Derek. But probably not the last sentence .
Very interesting . A thought to keep in mind for those of us who have thought about this as a part time thing for some point in the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2018, 08:58 AM

5,267 posts, read 4,185,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
I think the ranting is because the people who scream the loudest pretty much feel their voices are unheard and unrepresented in this state--in both the local media as well as state politics.
That's Very true tiger. Sometimes I feel like I'm living behind enemy lines.

Old 02-04-2018, 09:06 AM

5,267 posts, read 4,185,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
I agree with you about San Antonio and Waco. I probably wouldn't want to live in Waco, but the people are very nice. I live in The Woodlands (a northern suburb of Houston), but if someone told me I had to live elsewhere in Texas, both Boerne and The Dominion (both in the San Antonio metro) would be on my list....along with Colleyville (Tarrant County...suburban Fort Worth), and a few surrounding towns.

Austin is nice to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.

I agree and...

your last eight words indicate that, after visiting, you started to get it .

IMO, one would have to live here to completely get it.
My niece is graduating from Baylor this spring so going back to Texas. This time I'm checking out Dallas. Looking forward to it and will report back with my findings.

Old 02-04-2018, 11:42 AM

30,898 posts, read 36,980,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
Yes, I can see that even if not our experience. Its their chance to vent anonymously somewhere, scream their frustrations from the rooftops! They may not realize or even care at that point that they're calling a place many love and enjoy a complete dump, disaster. Its more about a releasing their frustrations, anger etc... Someone compared it to leaving a job they hated. Instead of leaving quietly they decide tell everyone off on their way out. Who cares about burning bridges? Maybe that release makes them feel better.

Derek
Yes, that.

Some of what people say is hyperbole. But I have to say I sympathize with many of their criticisms of the state. CA holds itself up as a champion of the working and middle class, yet the standard of living for people middle class and lower in the state really isn't very good. Yet those criticisms fall on deaf ears.

And many so-called liberal people--who purport to be models of compassion--write off people making such criticisms as losers. Even the more honest people on the liberal end of the political spectrum have been pointing out that a good portion of what the state's critics say is true. I've posted the links. It makes no difference to people who think they and their state is superior and beyond reproach.

Last edited by mysticaltyger; 02-04-2018 at 11:54 AM..

Old 02-04-2018, 03:09 PM

8,217 posts, read 16,710,456 times
Quote:
Roger all that Derek. But probably not the last sentence .
Haha, yeah, realistically you're probably right. Something like this may end up being more acceptable for touring around the country part of the year. A boat on wheels.

Derek

Old 02-04-2018, 03:56 PM

21,741 posts, read 16,365,101 times
Quote:
Haha, yeah, realistically you're probably right. Something like this may end up being more acceptable for touring around the country part of the year. A boat on wheels.

Derek
They're great, Derek. Love 'em. And they don't sink unless you back them down the boat ramp all the way ...

Funny how your thread turned into a referendum on tulemutt's lifestlye, eh bro? . I may have to come back and amuse y'all with a few more zingers ... we'll see. Muggy day on the beach here in Waimanalo. Few more weeks and I think I'll hop a flight back home. Once I get around my tool bag again I'll probably stop posting so much what with having better distractions to get into up to my elbows!

Old 02-04-2018, 04:17 PM

8,217 posts, read 16,710,456 times
Quote:
They're great, Derek. Love 'em. And they don't sink unless you back them down the boat ramp all the way ...

Funny how your thread turned into a referendum on tulemutt's lifestlye, eh bro? . I may have to come back and amuse y'all with a few more zingers ... we'll see. Muggy day on the beach here in Waimanalo. Few more weeks and I think I'll hop a flight back home. Once I get around my tool bag again I'll probably stop posting so much what with having better distractions to get into up to my elbows!
Yeah, I hear ya! No problemo, my friend. Its CD so no surprises there. Monterey has actually been quite warm lately as well. Though probably not as muggy as HI. It's been sunny with calm waters out on the Bay.

Do you keep a boat over there in HI? I was imaging Tulemutt bravely crossing the Pacific solo in the middle of winter! BTW, my dad was an old boat builder and loved HI as well after serving there during the Korean war. He said he fought the battle of bikini beach as a lifeguard on the one of the military beaches. If he was still alive today, he'd probably very much enjoy living on a boat like you.

Take care amigo and safe travels. I've always enjoyed your road less traveled POV.

Derek

Old 02-04-2018, 04:59 PM

30,360 posts, read 51,970,126 times
Quote:
Yes, I can see that even if not our experience. Its their chance to vent anonymously somewhere, scream their frustrations from the rooftops! They may not realize or even care at that point that they're calling a place many love and enjoy a complete dump, disaster. Its more about a releasing their frustrations, anger etc... Someone compared it to leaving a job they hated. Instead of leaving quietly they decide tell everyone off on their way out. Who cares about burning bridges? Maybe that release makes them feel better.
I can't speak for anyone else, but I only rant - very little raving, lol. I've been in California for most of my life (since 1983), and love so much about it, but also have begun to dislike too much. I love the scenery, weather, cultural diversity, outdoor activities, shopping, and food choices. I dislike the cost of living, of course, in addition to the increasing congestion and seemingly increase of inconsiderate people.

I've likened my current state of mind to someone who's ready to break up with their SO (just hasn't bit the bullet yet), and everything about them has begun to grate on the nerves. I find my frustrations are only getting worse, so it might be time to break up with California, or at least the Bay Area. As for why we don't "go quietly," as others have mentioned, you're on a forum intended for moving discussions. So yes, you will find people ranting about why they want to move! I discuss these issues with my friends and family too, but on here I can get input and advice from people who don't know me personally - and therefore might have a fresh outlook, not biased by what they already know. Also, yes, misery does love company.

Old 02-04-2018, 05:00 PM

21,741 posts, read 16,365,101 times
Quote:
Yeah, I hear ya! No problemo, my friend. Its CD so no surprises there. Monterey has actually been quite warm lately as well. Though probably not as muggy as HI. It's been sunny with calm waters out on the Bay.

Do you keep a boat over there in HI? I was imaging Tulemutt bravely crossing the Pacific solo in the middle of winter! BTW, my dad was an old boat builder and loved HI as well after serving there during the Korean war. He said he fought the battle of bikini beach as a lifeguard on the one of the military beaches. If he was still alive today, he'd probably very much enjoy living on a boat like you.

Take care amigo and safe travels. I've always enjoyed your road less traveled POV.

Derek
Smallest boat I ever sailed to Hawaii was an aircraft carrier ... nope, no boat here. Friend kept one here and I thought about it ... but I don't much care for this boating venues. Nothing but big waves, swells, currents, and winds and squalls. Few harbors to tuck into. Unfriendly state waters / harbors controls. I just come some years for short stays to veg in a tent. Not a regular thing.

Old 02-04-2018, 05:03 PM

30,360 posts, read 51,970,126 times
Quote:
Yeesssss!!! I've always dreamed of having an Airstream, but probably not until I retire - which is still some years away, lol. Gorgeous vehicle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California