Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2018, 02:24 PM

5,888 posts, read 3,228,419 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
He chose that course and seems to enjoy it. No big deal. I have a friend living in Long Beach Harbor on a boat and is happy. Living alone in both cases, but that is also a choice or at worst a result.

Too many want money, fancy cars, fancy clothes, party, party, party.

He even leaves CA at times and then comes back, a good example to follow. I have left but will come back at times and .... avoid the CA COL and enjoy what I like about CA and then ... leave again to a nice home near the beach in FL and the COL is wayyyy less..
I was mostly teasing him. There's a lot of lets just say...strange....people that live on boats. If you've spent much time in a marina that allows liveaboards I'm sure you have noticed the trend that most of them are older men who live alone. And there's a reason for that -which is most women aren't interested in living on a boat. Or in the men who want to live on a boat. Exceptions to every rule of course. I have known all kinds of people who lived on their boat, even some couples, but all of them....definitely march to a different drum.

I actually admire this minimalist "drop out of society" attitude. Its very beat. Not sarcastic....serious. Its an attractive idea - but I suppose like anything other people do (or have) that you don't, it probably looks better than it is.

It also doesn't work if more than a tiny fragment of society chooses to live that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2018, 03:19 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,268,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
Owning allows for considerable stabilization of expenses. I know, it’s rocket science.
That's what makes it possible for me to survive on my social security almost minimun and not be on any 'programs'. In the smaller towns around here are older houses (talking 1910 to into the thirties), many of which are 'kit' homes, which are not expensive. Mine was 13k. That's all purchase too. Yes, I got family help but you could eat up that much rent in no time flat.

What its given me is stability. I know my house is functional, and while I have 'projects' currently mostly involving paint, I like doing that. Taxes are less than 300 a year. Buy a good lawn mower so you grass keeps the city happy. They had a senior place which can give rides, but interesting enough they don't have as many people going to the grocery store as most are ordering from their computer chair now and don't need a lot of trips for what you can't.

Back in California the amount of money I got wasn't enough to even get an apartment without state help. And as its new owner wanted it to be condos, then found out it couldn't, it wasn't WORTH the rent with the druggies all over the place. Here, my big dog sits and waits and barks (with the smaller ones yelping help) if anyone comes near the house and clearly tells them to leave if they try the porch.

And you can't ever estamate how valuable it is to know that while you can't take a long vacation, you can save up for a few short treats, and most of all you know there will be home and four legged kids and a feeling of secuirity waiting for you when you return. That is something more valuable than any 'perks' you might find in more expensive places.

Old 02-03-2018, 04:37 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,409,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompilot View Post
I was mostly teasing him. There's a lot of lets just say...strange....people that live on boats. If you've spent much time in a marina that allows liveaboards I'm sure you have noticed the trend that most of them are older men who live alone. And there's a reason for that -which is most women aren't interested in living on a boat. Or in the men who want to live on a boat. Exceptions to every rule of course. I have known all kinds of people who lived on their boat, even some couples, but all of them....definitely march to a different drum.

I actually admire this minimalist "drop out of society" attitude. Its very beat. Not sarcastic....serious. Its an attractive idea - but I suppose like anything other people do (or have) that you don't, it probably looks better than it is.

It also doesn't work if more than a tiny fragment of society chooses to live that way.
Yep, mostly single older men. My father in law was also one (as is the case with the friend I mentioned). Lived on a House Boat in FL.

Minimalist is OK if you enjoy the life and I have no problem with it either. Marriage however includes seeing that your mate also gets what they want, within reason. It can't be all about self or .... you end up on a boat ... alone. In CA it does have potential if your income level is not good IF ........ you can buy a boat.

Old 02-03-2018, 06:18 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,268,827 times
Quote:
Yep, mostly single older men. My father in law was also one (as is the case with the friend I mentioned). Lived on a House Boat in FL.

Minimalist is OK if you enjoy the life and I have no problem with it either. Marriage however includes seeing that your mate also gets what they want, within reason. It can't be all about self or .... you end up on a boat ... alone. In CA it does have potential if your income level is not good IF ........ you can buy a boat.
I wonder how many people, post retirement, kids grown and busy with their own lives, connect with their inner selves and for once, don't care one whit if someone has a problem with it. So with no boss to tell you what the dress code is, wear what you like. Wear your hair to the best you can, like you choose. Don't settle down to fit the normal pattern of what you're 'supposed' to be, just be. And who are really celebrating the freedom not to fit some predrawn pattern and do as everyone does. I've seen stories on people who are older who have left all those expectations go, and are both happy and satisfied with what other people look upon with confusion or fear.

It takes courage to break with norm, and I think for many, the first day your really retired and times your own may be the first time they could go there, especially when its couples who share this dream and the joy of it coming true.

Old 02-03-2018, 06:33 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,149,143 times
Quote:

MGTOW minimalists are not limited to older single men any more. Increasingly, young men are eschewing marriage, saving money, and going their own way.

Old 02-03-2018, 06:34 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,149,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
That's what makes it possible for me to survive on my social security almost minimun and not be on any 'programs'. In the smaller towns around here are older houses (talking 1910 to into the thirties), many of which are 'kit' homes, which are not expensive. Mine was 13k. That's all purchase too. Yes, I got family help but you could eat up that much rent in no time flat.

What its given me is stability. I know my house is functional, and while I have 'projects' currently mostly involving paint, I like doing that. Taxes are less than 300 a year. Buy a good lawn mower so you grass keeps the city happy. They had a senior place which can give rides, but interesting enough they don't have as many people going to the grocery store as most are ordering from their computer chair now and don't need a lot of trips for what you can't.

Back in California the amount of money I got wasn't enough to even get an apartment without state help. And as its new owner wanted it to be condos, then found out it couldn't, it wasn't WORTH the rent with the druggies all over the place. Here, my big dog sits and waits and barks (with the smaller ones yelping help) if anyone comes near the house and clearly tells them to leave if they try the porch.

And you can't ever estamate how valuable it is to know that while you can't take a long vacation, you can save up for a few short treats, and most of all you know there will be home and four legged kids and a feeling of secuirity waiting for you when you return. That is something more valuable than any 'perks' you might find in more expensive places.
Good for you for finding a way to make it work.

Old 02-03-2018, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
MGTOW minimalists are not limited to older single men any more. Increasingly, young men are eschewing marriage, saving money, and going their own way.
True to a degree, but the younger minimalists are usually homeless.

Now those you mention are still seeking money, they have changed their interests from say marriage to multiple partners they just want to have fun with, a selfish view, and then keep doing only what they want. Self centered.

Old 02-03-2018, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
I wonder how many people, post retirement, kids grown and busy with their own lives, connect with their inner selves and for once, don't care one whit if someone has a problem with it. So with no boss to tell you what the dress code is, wear what you like. Wear your hair to the best you can, like you choose. Don't settle down to fit the normal pattern of what you're 'supposed' to be, just be. And who are really celebrating the freedom not to fit some predrawn pattern and do as everyone does. I've seen stories on people who are older who have left all those expectations go, and are both happy and satisfied with what other people look upon with confusion or fear.

It takes courage to break with norm, and I think for many, the first day your really retired and times your own may be the first time they could go there, especially when its couples who share this dream and the joy of it coming true.
True and more and more are to some degree. Now my sister in law lives a very laid back life, works 2 days a week plus receiving very low SS and yet does not have to struggle. She owns a mobile home in a nice park, a few units from a nice river and within walking distance of the basic stores needed and yes she still has a car and drives. She lkeft CA about 25 years ago with another family that did. Quietly.

Old 02-03-2018, 07:32 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,523,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
I'm not leaving quietly.

I'm not leaving at all.
I thought your residence was in WA.

Old 02-03-2018, 07:34 PM

21,741 posts, read 16,365,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I thought your residence was in WA.
Summers. Yep. Rest of the year split between Morro Bay and San Diego.
Bonus: camping in Hawaii for about 3 months right now! Probably do this again some years ... retirement is great!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California