Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2020, 08:18 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,307,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad debt View Post
So your logic is if Prop 13 is removed then the price of "everything" including "groceries, Walmart, clothing, electronics, household goods" will"double". Your words.

How come in states where Prop 13 doesn't exist the prices of those goods aren't double what they are here? I am SUPER curious to hear your explanation.
me too, Nevada has had a split roll property tax for a long time and I haven't seen prices double there
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2020, 11:45 PM

478 posts, read 692,406 times
isnt prop 13 reform will effect commercial and industrial property?

But at the sametime i wouldnt vote for it as it may lead to push to effect residential or risk said commerical/industrial businesses to bounce out of CA causing lost of jobs.

Anyways, with how difficult it is to obtain a mortgage now and many putting 20% down or more, if there is a housing crash, it wont dip as low as the housing crisis years.

Old 01-25-2020, 05:41 AM

86 posts, read 92,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Please do (leave). Makes perfect sense to me you should.

And take 10-20 million more people with you. Texas. Arizona. Idaho. Wherever.
Don't care if it makes sense to you or not. I'll do so if I choose or remain if I choose. Here's to helping prop 13 pass! Cheers.

Old 01-25-2020, 05:45 AM

86 posts, read 92,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moddedintegra56 View Post
i

Anyways, with how difficult it is to obtain a mortgage now.
I keep hearing this and it confuses me. Have you gone house shopping lately? It's easy as hell to get pre-qualified and they will approve for an amount far greater than what one can reasonably pay. Ask me how I know. I make decent dough but they approved me for an absurd amount that I wouldn't dare lock myself into. That's more than one lender as well.

Old 01-25-2020, 07:04 AM

21,742 posts, read 16,369,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Doc View Post
Don't care if it makes sense to you or not. I'll do so if I choose or remain if I choose. Here's to helping prop 13 pass! Cheers.
And I don’t care if you care if I don’t care if you care. Here’s to you having my support on your journey: Cheers!

Old 01-25-2020, 01:27 PM

5,390 posts, read 9,701,283 times
I just wanna buy a 2 bedroom/2 bathroom place that isn't in a complete craphole for like $350,000.
lol, that'll never happen, but one can dream.

Old 01-25-2020, 04:24 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,698,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
I just wanna buy a 2 bedroom/2 bathroom place that isn't in a complete craphole for like $350,000.
lol, that'll never happen, but one can dream.
Never is measured in cycles in Real Estate... 4 bedroom homes with bay views in the Oakland Hills were in your target market 2009-12...

I have been through several down turns but nothing like the last.

Thing is even those with the means and ability to buy mostly didn't... except for investors snapping up homes because they had cash and could buy as-is...

I had a mortgage that I wanted to refi for rate... not a chance yet my income was stable and I had a ton of equity and no credit issues... was told to look at TARP... crazy!

Went to my credit union and they made it happen.

Hospital Work tends to be regular... yet only one that I encouraged jumped in and bought a foreclosure... she was a single mom and with a daughter... even her parents were telling her not too...

She bought a foreclosure and held on... and in hindsight is seen as brilliant... plus the new rent at the apartment is now more than her mortgage... plus her home has more than doubled in value... of everyone she was the only one I encouraged that followed through...

The opposite is the reality... many seen as smart for walking away from their mortgage and renting for half the cost... well... we all know in the SF Bay Area this was short lived and for many they had it all but gave up... again... not that they couldn't have simply stayed the course.

Many companies today are less dependent on location and the numbers will show a increasing stream of relocations out of state...

Bright 20 and 30 somethings leaving with the blessing of the parents... who would have thought.

In my own little circle these brightest of the bright... Santa Clara and Stanford grads relocating to Austin TX... again, who would have thought???

I wonder how many that say they are waiting for it all to crash would really act?

Old 01-26-2020, 12:30 AM

478 posts, read 692,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Doc View Post
I keep hearing this and it confuses me. Have you gone house shopping lately? It's easy as hell to get pre-qualified and they will approve for an amount far greater than what one can reasonably pay. Ask me how I know. I make decent dough but they approved me for an absurd amount that I wouldn't dare lock myself into. That's more than one lender as well.
well its tougher than it was before where there was no income verification lol. so yea its easy to prequalify but before closing there are tons of paperwork/proof and again closer till closing to make sure the amount you say you have and make is still the same.

Old 01-26-2020, 12:46 AM

30,902 posts, read 36,980,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
Well, if you are not home owners, I presume you are renting, so increase on tax translates to higher rents.
How people don't comprehend this simple truth is beyond me. It's like they believe if there's not a line item saying "property tax" on the rent, then property taxes paid by the owner can't be figured into the rent paid.

Old 01-26-2020, 07:48 AM

50,347 posts, read 47,088,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
Voting for prop 13 to pass. Sucks for home owners if it passes, but I'm not one, so I literally don't care....
You will when your rent increases.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California