Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2019, 02:35 PM

8,342 posts, read 2,969,036 times

Advertisements

Cost of living, politics, taxes, crime, demographics, traffic, homeless, beggars, trash, graffiti, gangs, rude people, illegal aliens. It was time to go. So content now.

Old 09-11-2019, 05:26 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,975,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bad debt View Post
So you going to move to Montana and build yourself an apocalypse bunker?
No, but nice way to stereotype. It's this kind of sneering / smug attitude that makes me want to leave. Fortunately, it's more common on CD than in real life, but there is a real undercurrent of snarkiness, especially in the Bay Area.

Old 09-11-2019, 05:37 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,301,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Definitely a money benefit, but it isn't because they can't afford to live in CA, it is because they don't want to.
At least as of 2016 people were leaving the state because they couldn't afford to stay:

Quote:
People making $55,000 or less a year were mostly moving out of California between 2007 and 2016, the report found, while people making more than $200,000 a year moved in.

More of those residents with lower income were moving to states like Texas, Nevada and Arizona. And more of those with higher incomes were coming into California from states like New York, Illinois, and New Jersey.

Young people with less education also left California
California families with children under 18 years of age moved out in droves to states like Texas, Arizona, Nevada, and Oregon. California also lost a lot of people with a high school degree or some college education in this span.

On the flip side, California gained more adults between ages 26 and 35, many with bachelor’s or master’s degree — mostly from New York and from Illinois. https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com...htmlstory.html

Old 09-11-2019, 06:06 PM

8,090 posts, read 15,167,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bad debt View Post
So you going to move to Montana and build yourself an apocalypse bunker?
Wait, I was supposed to build a bunker??

<eyes utility basement>

Well, I suppose in a pinch... or maybe I should dig a cave out of the side of the hill... No, that won't do; we have bears, and I don't want to share.

Old 09-11-2019, 06:11 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,409,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
At least as of 2016 people were leaving the state because they couldn't afford to stay:
Yes as an income in CA at $55,000.00 is no longer enough for new residents, but it is fine in many other States. However not all who left, such as myself, were making just that amount. My income has varied between the 5% and 2% upper level for years and I left. I have paid cash for my last two homes and could do the same in CA,a s my wife and I did consider a bit over 1 year ago. Too many problems made it not worth it to us. Cost was not an issue.

Stereo typing people ignores reality as many could live on $55,000.00 if they bought earlier in time and have low or no mortgage and low property taxes, or bought in areas away from the coast. Many in that group cash out to live in a less crowded, less traffic issues, newer and nicer homes and many other reasons besides simply cost or politics.

I love what CA was, but not what it has become, as much.

For those who can afford CA, good for them if they enjoy it. I have even recommended to many on City-Data that they should move to CA. Each person is different and their needs are as well.

Old 09-11-2019, 07:12 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,301,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Yes as an income in CA at $55,000.00 is no longer enough for new residents, but it is fine in many other States. However not all who left, such as myself, were making just that amount. My income has varied between the 5% and 2% upper level for years and I left. I have paid cash for my last two homes and could do the same in CA,a s my wife and I did consider a bit over 1 year ago. Too many problems made it not worth it to us. Cost was not an issue.
Stereo typing people ignores reality as many could live on $55,000.00 if they bought earlier in time and have low or no mortgage and low property taxes, or bought in areas away from the coast. Many in that group cash out to live in a less crowded, less traffic issues, newer and nicer homes and many other reasons besides simply cost or politics.
I love what CA was, but not what it has become, as much.
For those who can afford CA, good for them if they enjoy it. I have even recommended to many on City-Data that they should move to CA. Each person is different and their needs are as well.
I don't disagree with you, and I'm not stereotyping anyone; I'm just saying that for many years the people leaving the state tend to be those with lower incomes. My husband and I left the state and moved to Nevada where we lived for 14 years, and we made a lot more than $55,000. We left because my husband got a job offer that he couldn't refuse.

Old 09-11-2019, 07:32 PM

4,021 posts, read 1,801,194 times
Just my anecdotal evidence, but all of the friends we have leaving CA are doing it because of politics. Period. Now they don't mind the beneficial money aspect of the move, but it was not their first thought, not even close.....
Now as for me, it started with the desire to get the heck out of this state, and quickly realized how much money there was on the line. That solidified the decision.

Old 09-11-2019, 07:57 PM

3,049 posts, read 4,548,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody01 View Post
Just my anecdotal evidence, but all of the friends we have leaving CA are doing it because of politics. Period. Now they don't mind the beneficial money aspect of the move, but it was not their first thought, not even close.....
Now as for me, it started with the desire to get the heck out of this state, and quickly realized how much money there was on the line. That solidified the decision.
Quit talking about it and get the hell out, then!

Old 09-11-2019, 08:05 PM

8,090 posts, read 15,167,694 times
It occurs to me to wonder what the CA map of leaving looks like. Are more people leaving from urban, rural, or semi-developed areas? Would be interesting to see by-county numbers.

Well, I couldn't find that offhand, but here's something from the SJMN -- tho would be a lot more interesting as a proportion of population per county.

Top 10 California counties that people are leaving

1. Santa Clara County
Out of state destinations: Arizona, Nevada, Texas and Idaho
In state destinations: Alameda, Sacramento, San Joaquin, Santa Cruz and Placer counties

2. San Mateo County
Out of state destinations: Arizona, Nevada, Texas and Washington
In state destinations: Alameda, Contra Costa, Santa Clara, Sacramento, and San Francisco counties

3. Los Angeles County
Out of state destinations: Nevada, Arizona, and Idaho
In state destinations: San Bernardino, Riverside, Ventura and Kern counties

4. Napa County
Out of state destinations: Arizona, Idaho, Nevada, Florida and Oregon
In state destinations: Solano, Sonoma, Sacramento, Lake and El Dorado counties

5. Monterey County
Out of state destinations: Arizona, Nevada, and Idaho
In state destinations: San Luis Obispo, Fresno, Santa Cruz, Sacramento and San Diego counties

6. Alameda County
Out of state destinations: Arizona, Nevada, Idaho, and Hawaii.
In state destinations: Contra Costa, San Joaquin, Sacramento, Placer, and El Dorado counties

7. Marin County
Out of state destinations: Nevada, Arizona, Oregon and Idaho.
In state destinations: Sonoma, Contra Costa, Solano and San Francisco counties

8. Orange County
Out of state destinations: Arizona, Nevada and Idaho
In state destinations: Riverside, Los Angeles, San Bernardino, San Diego and San Luis Obispo

9. Santa Barbara County
Out of state destinations: Arizona, Nevada and Idaho.
In state destinations: San Luis Obispo, Ventura, Los Angeles, Riverside and Kern counties

10. San Diego County
Out of state destinations: Arizona and Nevada
In state destinations: Riverside, San Bernardino, Imperial, Orange County and Los Angeles

Old 09-11-2019, 08:08 PM

4,021 posts, read 1,801,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kttam186290 View Post
Quit talking about it and get the hell out, then!
Shoot, I guess we can't be friends then? We have a Realtor and are looking as we speak. It's not so easy to just pick up and leave after 40 years in a state. There are some regrets too, friends and family and such....but yes we are getting the hell out as you say....thanks for your support....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California