Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2022, 10:48 PM

50,288 posts, read 47,043,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
After reading Dr. Birx's book, I don't think any city, county, or state leader is going to try and re-enact mask mandates. They'd be committing suicide to their political career if they did. People have wised up and if they haven't read her book, they should. She admits she made up a lot of information she spewed on television. I think her book is a confession to assuage her guilty conscience.

The saddest part of all of this is all those people who died in the hospital without a loved one to hold their hand, be by their side. Sure, they died of Covid but they also had underlying health issues that exacerbated it. No one in the news liked sharing that bit of information. Now we live with people still living in fear, afraid to go outside. Afraid to have a life worth living. What was done to people in this country is nothing more than evil.
Can you imagine laying there dying with no one to talk to before you die unless they can operate your phone for you. You should be able to comfort your elders while they leave. This is madness.

Old 07-20-2022, 11:07 PM

1,638 posts, read 1,109,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Can you imagine laying there dying with no one to talk to before you die unless they can operate your phone for you. You should be able to comfort your elders while they leave. This is madness.
A spouses relative is currently in the hospital (not Covid), here in California and isn't allowed more than 1 visitor per day due to Covid protocol. All guests must be vaccinated or PCR tested no exceptions. As a result, her family has had trouble seeing her, and she was in the ICU unable to advocate for herself.

Before when people were dying alone, or wives were giving birth alone in the hospital it was absolutely tragic. But the healthcare system in this state is still unnecessarily cruel.

Old 07-20-2022, 11:17 PM

19,208 posts, read 16,696,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
I can't even begin to imagine how horrific that would have been, had my parents been lying in a bed dying and they said I couldn't see them. As njbiodude said too, not having anyone there when you're giving birth was cruel, too. What makes it worse is knowing that it didn't do any good to separate people like this.

Even after the vaccine came along, people were still getting sick. The old "if you aren't vaccinated, you are the problem," argument doesn't hold water since vaccinated people not only catch the virus, they can also pass it to others.

Old 07-21-2022, 12:35 AM

6,616 posts, read 4,882,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njbiodude View Post
A spouses relative is currently in the hospital (not Covid), here in California and isn't allowed more than 1 visitor per day due to Covid protocol. All guests must be vaccinated or PCR tested no exceptions. As a result, her family has had trouble seeing her, and she was in the ICU unable to advocate for herself.

Before when people were dying alone, or wives were giving birth alone in the hospital it was absolutely tragic. But the healthcare system in this state is still unnecessarily cruel.
There's a massive problem of COVID spreading in hospitals, to patients and staff. Rules aren't made to upset people or, more what others say, control them. If that unnamed quasi-family member catches the virus, maybe the outcome will be bad. Hospitals usually know what they're doing.

Old 07-21-2022, 12:41 AM

6,616 posts, read 4,882,033 times
Quote:
After reading Dr. Birx's book, I don't think any city, county, or state leader is going to try and re-enact mask mandates. They'd be committing suicide to their political career if they did. People have wised up and if they haven't read her book, they should. She admits she made up a lot of information she spewed on television. I think her book is a confession to assuage her guilty conscience.

The saddest part of all of this is all those people who died in the hospital without a loved one to hold their hand, be by their side. Sure, they died of Covid but they also had underlying health issues that exacerbated it. No one in the news liked sharing that bit of information. Now we live with people still living in fear, afraid to go outside. Afraid to have a life worth living. What was done to people in this country is nothing more than evil.
With a grudge about hospital rules and in a mood to gaslight? Most of us aren't afraid to go outside and do the necessities. I've only come across one person post-lockdown who seems afraid to leave home into possibly fresh air, which I'd call mental illness. People like me don't see many indoor group activities or mass outdoor gatherings as safe enough to be worthwhile, and we're probably right. Generally dissatisfied with life in this era, I suppose, but willing and able to persevere and probably not getting sick. Also, most Americans who aren't young have some underlying health conditions and if infected can't assume to have mild or no symptoms and no post-viral issues. Plus, some are very healthy but live with higher-risk people (or work with many of them) and thus have to be extra careful.
Spoiler
Most people who have been hospitalized with a major problem would know that sometimes companionship is worth little or nothing, due to severe pain, desire to sleep (multiple possible reasons for that), or minimal consciousness, and the wish is much more to leave than to have company. That might be tough to grasp; here's a cheat - think of a hospital as jail. I'm not a fan of sentimentalizing the topic.

Last edited by goodheathen; 07-21-2022 at 01:33 AM..

Old 07-21-2022, 03:12 AM

1,638 posts, read 1,109,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
There's a massive problem of COVID spreading in hospitals, to patients and staff. Rules aren't made to upset people or, more what others say, control them. If that unnamed quasi-family member catches the virus, maybe the outcome will be bad. Hospitals usually know what they're doing.
Theoretically if it was just the hospital setting the policy sure. But our lovely health departments are actually responsible in this case. So again we've got jaded beauracrats/politicians setting policy for Californians health, and all it ends up doing is making the situation worse.

Last edited by njbiodude; 07-21-2022 at 03:35 AM..

Old 07-21-2022, 06:51 AM

426 posts, read 178,433 times
Quote:

Considering there is no evidence of masks reducing Covid cases, yeah, mask mandates isn’t a good idea. Also, masks collect bacteria and fungi. No thanks, I rather get Covid. It’s just a head cold.

Old 07-21-2022, 06:56 AM

19,208 posts, read 16,696,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
I'm not a fan of sentimentalizing the topic.
I'm pretty sure a number of people here know that. After all, you are the same person who thought sending kids off to boarding school to isolate them was a great idea. Coming from someone who doesn't have children, it's understandable why you wouldn't know what a horrible idea that would be.

Old 07-21-2022, 06:58 AM

26,731 posts, read 26,812,827 times
Quote:
After reading Dr. Birx's book, I don't think any city, county, or state leader is going to try and re-enact mask mandates. They'd be committing suicide to their political career if they did. People have wised up and if they haven't read her book, they should. She admits she made up a lot of information she spewed on television.
In her defense, she really had no choice.

Birx’s story of her time on the task force has reignited a debate about where to draw the line between working to fix a broken system from the inside and legitimizing the broken system — which is costing lives — by participating in it, and standing by as a president spread falsehoods and repeatedly questioned science and his own health experts.

Many critics have questioned why Birx was unable to shift the United States’ response in a more data-driven direction.

https://www.devex.com/news/deborah-b...verseas-103640

Old 07-21-2022, 07:02 AM

26,731 posts, read 26,812,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njbiodude View Post
Before when people were dying alone, or wives were giving birth alone in the hospital it was absolutely tragic.
Women were not giving birth alone. The restriction was that while spouses or significant others were able to come into the hospital to be with them in labor and delivery, if they left the hospital, they could not return.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California