Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2020, 09:16 AM

3,155 posts, read 2,700,812 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldcitizen10 View Post
Awesome, civilization at it's truest - the younger are going to be more careless, and people will keep bringing their un-masked coughing unhygienic children to public places like stores (because children are least likely to suffer, so who cares about those they're going to infect) and they will be infecting older people (children're the ones who're most likely to be asymptomatic carriers spreading it around)
Do you have any idea how un-affordable preschool and after-school care are? You think we're shopping WITH our snotty brats because it's fun? Except for a few societies that have recently started to pay for universal preschool / all-day kindergarten, people have been taking their kids into stores since before the days of Smallpox.

Cough up for grocery delivery if you don't want to be exposed. Or change the law so CPS doesn't get called on me when I leave my kids loose in the car (in view of the public) for 5 freaking minutes, like my mom used to do for hours while she shopped!

Old 03-12-2020, 10:23 AM

5,381 posts, read 8,688,440 times
I guess that Trump has been or will be tested.

Coronavirus Live Updates: Brazilian Official Who Met With Trump Tests Positive
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/12/w...gtype=Homepage

Quote:
A senior Brazilian government official who visited Mar-a-Lago days ago, and was in close proximity to President Trump and Vice President Mike Pence, has tested positive for the new coronavirus, according to the several Brazilian news outlets.

Fábio Wajngarten, President Jair Bolsonaro’s communications chief, was at Mar-a-Lago, Mr. Trump’s oceanfront resort in Florida, as part of Brazilian government delegation. Members of that group dined with Mr. Trump on Saturday.
There's a photo of him standing shoulder-to-shoulder next to Trump.

Old 03-12-2020, 11:01 AM

653 posts, read 783,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeros318 View Post
My first visit to LA is coming up this Friday. I am torn between going thru with my trip or taking my loss and cancelling everything. Always wanted to visit, and as of right now still planning on doing so, but I admit that I am worried about the situation. Don’t know what will happen between now and Friday, but we’ll see... no cases that I know of where I live in NC, so it makes me want to cancel, but I don’t know what I’ll end up doing as of right now...
I've decided to cancel our trip to Los Angeles. Since there is no end in sight for this pandemic, we hope to be able to visit LA next year around this time. I hope this finds everyone on the forum in good health and hopefully we'll overcome this virus soon!! Take care of yourselves and your loved ones. Be safe!!

Old 03-12-2020, 12:50 PM

19,208 posts, read 16,696,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeros318 View Post
I've decided to cancel our trip to Los Angeles. Since there is no end in sight for this pandemic, we hope to be able to visit LA next year around this time. I hope this finds everyone on the forum in good health and hopefully we'll overcome this virus soon!! Take care of yourselves and your loved ones. Be safe!!
This is a good decision. There's always next year and why expose yourself to the unknown? Not only that, how can you really enjoy yourself if, in the back of your mind, you're wondering if you'll be exposed. Be well and stay vigilant.

Old 03-12-2020, 02:49 PM

Trump is considering domestic travel limits to places like CA:

Quote:
Trump says domestic travel restrictions are a possibility.

President Trump said on Thursday that he could restrict domestic travel to regions of the United States where the coronavirus becomes “too hot.”

Asked by a reporter in the Oval Office whether he was considering limits on travel inside the country to hard-hit states like Washington or California, Mr. Trump said the subject had not yet been discussed, before adding: “Is it a possibility? Yes, if somebody gets a little bit out of control, if an area gets too hot."

Old 03-12-2020, 03:03 PM

3,155 posts, read 2,700,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacific2 View Post

Boy am I glad I told my father not to fly out to visit the grandkids!

Old 03-12-2020, 03:16 PM

228 posts, read 161,934 times
Italy is now threatening homicide charges with up to 21-years in prison for breach of quarantine - at last!

https://nationalpost.com/news/world/...micide-charges

In the meanwhile, brain-dead leadership of 3 California counties (Sacramento, Placer and Yolo) had removed self quarantine requirements for those who were exposed to COVID-19. That's right - they can now walk everywhere and are encouraged to do so. They only are expected to self-quarantine if they start to show symptoms. They, basically, admitted they can't control the situation and are switching from virus containment to helpless mitigation of the epidemic. Time to bring National Guard and the first isolated should be the ones who issued these orders....isolate them for the rest of their lives.

In the meanwhile, German study came out showing that people start spreading the virus, shedding heavy amounts of it, way BEFORE they start to show any symptoms (this was known earlier, though, just another study that proves already long-established fact)
Good luck.

Old 03-12-2020, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacific2 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by wac_432 View Post
Boy am I glad I told my father not to fly out to visit the grandkids!
The restrictions, if they do occur, would go both ways and likely mean very limited permission for Californians to travel outside of the state.

Old 03-12-2020, 03:33 PM

228 posts, read 161,934 times
Doctor from Western Europe is giving it like it is (to the reckless ignoramuses):
https://www.newsweek.com/young-unafr...pinion-1491797

Unafraid of the Coronavirus Pandemic? Good for You. Now Stop Killing People

Watching you Americans (and you, Brits) in these still-early days of the coronavirus pandemic is like watching a familiar horror movie, where the protagonists, yet again, split into pairs or decide to take a tour of a dark basement. The real-life versions of this behavior are pretending this is just a flu; keeping schools open; following through with your holiday travel plans, and going into the office daily. This is what we did in Italy.

Most of my childhood friends are now doctors working in north Italy. In Milan, in Bergamo, in Padua, they are having to choose between intubating a 40-year-old with two kids, a 40-year old who is fit and healthy with no co-morbidities, and a 60-year-old with high blood pressure, because they don't have enough beds. In the hallway, meanwhile, there are another 15 people waiting who are already hardly breathing and need oxygen.

Fatality is the wrong yardstick. Catching the virus can mess up your life in many, many more ways than just straight-up killing you. "We are all young"—okay. "Even if we get the bug, we will survive"—fantastic. How about needing four months of physical therapy before you even feel human again. Or getting scar tissue in your lungs and having your activity level restricted for the rest of your life. Not to mention having every chance of catching another bug in hospital, while you're being treated or waiting to get checked with an immune system distracted even by the false alarm of an ordinary flu.
Now, odds are, you might catch coronavirus and might not even get symptoms. Great. Good for you. Very bad for everyone else, from your own grandparents to the random older person who got on the subway train a stop or two after you got off. You're fine, you're barely even sneezing or coughing, but you're walking around and you kill a couple of old ladies without even knowing it. Is that fair? You tell me.

Old 03-12-2020, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldcitizen10 View Post
Doctor from Western Europe is giving it like it is (to the reckless ignoramuses):
https://www.newsweek.com/young-unafr...pinion-1491797

Unafraid of the Coronavirus Pandemic? Good for You. Now Stop Killing People

Watching you Americans (and you, Brits) in these still-early days of the coronavirus pandemic is like watching a familiar horror movie, where the protagonists, yet again, split into pairs or decide to take a tour of a dark basement. The real-life versions of this behavior are pretending this is just a flu; keeping schools open; following through with your holiday travel plans, and going into the office daily. This is what we did in Italy.

Most of my childhood friends are now doctors working in north Italy. In Milan, in Bergamo, in Padua, they are having to choose between intubating a 40-year-old with two kids, a 40-year old who is fit and healthy with no co-morbidities, and a 60-year-old with high blood pressure, because they don't have enough beds. In the hallway, meanwhile, there are another 15 people waiting who are already hardly breathing and need oxygen.

Fatality is the wrong yardstick. Catching the virus can mess up your life in many, many more ways than just straight-up killing you. "We are all young"—okay. "Even if we get the bug, we will survive"—fantastic. How about needing four months of physical therapy before you even feel human again. Or getting scar tissue in your lungs and having your activity level restricted for the rest of your life. Not to mention having every chance of catching another bug in hospital, while you're being treated or waiting to get checked with an immune system distracted even by the false alarm of an ordinary flu.
Now, odds are, you might catch coronavirus and might not even get symptoms. Great. Good for you. Very bad for everyone else, from your own grandparents to the random older person who got on the subway train a stop or two after you got off. You're fine, you're barely even sneezing or coughing, but you're walking around and you kill a couple of old ladies without even knowing it. Is that fair? You tell me.
A subway stop or two sounds optimistic since scientists are now saying the Coronavirus can last in the air for 3 hours:

Coronavirus can live in air for 3 hours, on surfaces for 2-3 days
https://www.upi.com/Science_News/202...8121583963038/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California