Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2020, 10:39 AM

4,169 posts, read 2,142,045 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I was interested and amused to see different enforcement of the same policy in different areas of the same county. To be specific, I went to two Orange County beaches (Laguna Beach and Dana Point) at the same time of the day last week. Both have signs around stating "active use only, no sitting/loitering."

At Laguna's Main beach, the boardwalk and parks were gated off with only intermittent breaks for access to the sand. Lifeguards were patrolling, informing people that they had to stay off the boardwalk, couldn't sit on their towels, etc. The people on the beach were moving frenetically, apparently afraid they'd be kicked out if they stopped for a moment.

At Dana Point, there were beach towels and umbrellas everywhere, with people relaxing, reading magazines, having picnics, and taking it easy. The lifeguards ignored them. Every once in a while they would drive a cart down to the tide pools to tell people it was a conservation area and removing marine life or shells is not permitted, but they couldn't have cared less that people were passively using the beach.

It was incredibly refreshing to be in a place that looked and felt normal. No masks, everyone happily enjoying the open air. For several hours I even forgot that I'm now "supposed" to be scared of unmasked people.
Last time I checked, lifeguards are not cops and have no power to enforce anything.

Old 05-18-2020, 11:25 AM

14,308 posts, read 11,697,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looker009 View Post
Last time I checked, lifeguards are not cops and have no power to enforce anything.
I don't know what if anything they would do if people refused to comply, but in Laguna at any rate, the lifeguards were trying to get them to comply.

Old 05-18-2020, 02:42 PM

3,155 posts, read 2,699,769 times
Santa Barbara beaches are great. No patrols, just a sign about social distancing (that everyone ignores). No masks. Plenty of parking. Sunny and warm.

Ventura cops are all over the place, plus the locals are slashing tires and busting windows like the old days. If you want some peaceful fun-in-the-sun, don't stop in Ventura, keep going north until you get to Santa Barbara.

Old 05-18-2020, 02:52 PM

6,675 posts, read 4,277,252 times
The governor just relaxed some restrictions so more of the state can start reopening.

“The new criteria eliminates requirements that a county have zero deaths and no more than than one case per 10,000 residents over a two-week period. Instead, counties must have no more than 25 cases per 100,000 residents or no higher than an 8% positive rate among people testing for the coronavirus. They also must have no higher than a 5% increase in hospitalizations over a 7-day period or fewer than 20 hospitalizations total over 14 days. The latter will ensure small counties don’t get penalized for just one or two extra hospitalizations.

Newsom also said counties will soon be able to allow shopping in stores and hair salons to reopen. He also suggested professional sports could begin in June without spectators. He said the reopening of churches could begin within weeks.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/wtop.co...ent-sites/amp/

Old 05-18-2020, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
The governor just relaxed some restrictions so more of the state can start reopening.

“The new criteria eliminates requirements that a county have zero deaths and no more than than one case per 10,000 residents over a two-week period. Instead, counties must have no more than 25 cases per 100,000 residents or no higher than an 8% positive rate among people testing for the coronavirus. They also must have no higher than a 5% increase in hospitalizations over a 7-day period or fewer than 20 hospitalizations total over 14 days. The latter will ensure small counties don’t get penalized for just one or two extra hospitalizations.

Newsom also said counties will soon be able to allow shopping in stores and hair salons to reopen. He also suggested professional sports could begin in June without spectators. He said the reopening of churches could begin within weeks.”

Basically he is feeling the pressure to reopen being rest of the country is way ahead of California. Originally i think they were thinking no sports at all until Thanksgiving.

Old 05-18-2020, 03:29 PM

14,308 posts, read 11,697,976 times
Quote:
Basically he is feeling the pressure to reopen being rest of the country is way ahead of California. Originally i think they were thinking no sports at all until Thanksgiving.
One of the frustrating things to me is that planners have been pressured to decide whether or not to cancel events that are still relatively far in the future. So, for instance, many schools have announced that fall classes will be online; the LA County fair scheduled for September has been canceled, and so on. It's depressing thinking that even as we "reopen," everything as far out as three, four or more months from now is already canceled.

Old 05-18-2020, 05:11 PM

8,609 posts, read 5,617,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post

The new criteria eliminates requirements that a county have zero deaths and no more than than one case per 10,000 residents over a two-week period. Instead, counties must have no more than 25 cases per 100,000 residents or no higher than an 8% positive rate among people testing for the coronavirus. They also must have no higher than a 5% increase in hospitalizations over a 7-day period or fewer than 20 hospitalizations total over 14 days. The latter will ensure small counties don’t get penalized for just one or two extra hospitalizations.

Not surprised that was eased. With all deaths being recorded as "...Covid-19," regardless of the actual cause, that was going to be a virtually impossible hurdle to leap over.

Old 05-18-2020, 07:51 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
I think that most of what California is doing is based on science. not pressure to be like some other state.

Old 05-18-2020, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I think that most of what California is doing is based on science. not pressure to be like some other state.
There is only so long they can do it base on science. When rest of the country opens much more, citizens are not going to tolerate their government restricting their movement. As it's i am not seeing many people following mask rule outside as required by LA County.

Old 05-19-2020, 06:39 AM

26,727 posts, read 26,812,827 times
Quote:
Georgia both COVID deaths and cases continue to be rapidly decreasing....but you can't explain the facts to the sheep
Georgia governor forced to apologize for releasing fake numbers on infections:
https://americanindependent.com/bria...rnor-covid-19/

Georgia’s coronavirus data made reopening look safe. The numbers were a lie:
https://www.latimes.com/opinion/stor...ata-brian-kemp

GA Gov Brian Kemp apologizes after state Health Department chart wrongly shows downward trend in COVID-19 infections:
https://www.alternet.org/2020/05/its...19-infections/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California