Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2020, 05:34 PM

21,737 posts, read 16,350,818 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
You don't have to believe me. Just keep living in your fantasy world where national politicians are looking out for the good of the people and the media is there to tell the truth.
Dab - where have I ever, in 14,000+ posts, said I think national politicians are looking out for the good of the people ... or that the media is here to tell the truth?

That asked, rhetorically, I will add that: politicians DO often act to benefit the people ... and media does quite frequently report the truth. The majority of politicians are in their career to both benefit themselves AND their constituents. There are many perfectly well intentioned politicians who work hard at what they believe in, which quite often includes serving their communities and the nation. Whether they are misguided in doing so is a whole ‘nuther discussion.

And the media? Lol, I am quite consistently reminding readers that the media - except for public NPR/PBS - are for-profit ventures that are not in any way obligated to fairly report events. They are entertainment businesses. News is the product they sell. Some sell crappy product. Others by and large cultivate their return customer base by selling quality reporting as their product. Depends on who they target as their consumer demographic base to sell advertising space for. They choose their coverage topics to appeal to their base. But none of that means they don’t report using journalism’s classic ethics (triple verifications, etc.).

Still nothing about how thousands of years of pandemics are part of Bill Gate’s scurrilous, secret mission for world domination?

Old 09-05-2020, 05:47 PM

4,433 posts, read 2,453,170 times
Quote:
IThe plan now is to force everyone to wear a vaccine and to walk around with your "I tested myself for covid and am negative" papers. We aren't going back to December 2019, thats for sure.

The vaccine battle will render the silly mask debate into child's play. As polarized as this has (unfortunately) become, even I don't think I want to be first in line for a rushed vaccine developed to save someone's career in politics. Doesn't matter who either. And as for your last sentence, I agree. I just can't see this ever resolving to full normalcy at any point in the future.

Old 09-05-2020, 06:09 PM

4,433 posts, read 2,453,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
And for the fourth time: what about the past pandemics?

I don't buy into conspiracy theories, but it's not so much the current pandemic itself as much as how it's been handled. There isn't a good example to compare it to. For one, your examples of plague and Spanish flu predate modern medicine. Maybe the polio epidemic in the late 40s would work better since it's actually relatable to more living people today, but even that didn't elicit the broad measures to combat it we're seeing today (not globally, at least). And polio is arguably more debilitating than covid. My point here is that people see the overreaction because they're without any real reference point.

Going forward, the same rationale for shuttering the world could be applied to flu season every year, and the same protocols to fight covid would work just as well to do it. We would definitely save lives and that's been the stated goal all along since last winter. So the question becomes do we let public health policy be defined by actuarial tables in an effort to find some balance?

I'm a little uneasy about that.

Old 09-05-2020, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosoon View Post
I don't buy into conspiracy theories, but it's not so much the current pandemic itself as much as how it's been handled. There isn't a good example to compare it to. For one, your examples of plague and Spanish flu predate modern medicine. Maybe the polio epidemic in the late 40s would work better since it's actually relatable to more living people today, but even that didn't elicit the broad measures to combat it we're seeing today (not globally, at least). And polio is arguably more debilitating than covid. My point here is that people see the overreaction because they're without any real reference point.

Going forward, the same rationale for shuttering the world could be applied to flu season every year, and the same protocols to fight covid would work just as well to do it. We would definitely save lives and that's been the stated goal all along since last winter. So the question becomes do we let public health policy be defined by actuarial tables in an effort to find some balance?

I'm a little uneasy about that.
My examples of Spanish Flu and the Plague were made to draw Dab out to explain how pandemics fit into world-domination by a secret cabal of elites conspiracy theories. He has claimed the current crisis to be an execution of a conspiratorial plan designed by Bill Gates and other such secret society partners. So I wonder if he believes other previous pandemics were also unleashed by a lineage of evil master minds

Old 09-05-2020, 09:09 PM

35,064 posts, read 17,014,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
My examples of Spanish Flu and the Plague were made to draw Dab out to explain how pandemics fit into world-domination by a secret cabal of elites conspiracy theories. He has claimed the current crisis to be an execution of a conspiratorial plan designed by Bill Gates and other such secret society partners. So I wonder if he believes other previous pandemics were also unleashed by a lineage of evil master minds
The double-standard by politicians unwilling to abide by restrictions they demand for the public fuels these conspiracy theories. I doubt that Bill Gates, Warren Buffet and George Soros avoided "nonessential gatherings" during the height of the lockdowns.

Old 09-05-2020, 09:28 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
QAnon is a government psyop meant to make one side of the aisle believe in the government and that "they are going after those people", but I know why you posted it which is hilarious. Realize this, there's two sides being riled up like two different pitbulls getting ready to fight each other because the owners are roughing them up.

Pitbulls aren't smart enough to realize both their owners are "friends" or at least have mutual business relationships. Humans should be though. Yet we still have people who think our vote matters. The only votes that matter are the very local ones, like the school board or local city governments if it's not a major US city (especially not major coastal ones). Anything above this doesnt matter especially national. These people sign agreements and are beholden to others before us.

Gematria is not qanon if that's what you're trying to say.
pitbulls? sorry you lost me there

Old 09-05-2020, 09:32 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
The double-standard by politicians unwilling to abide by restrictions they demand for the public fuels these conspiracy theories. I doubt that Bill Gates, Warren Buffet and George Soros avoided "nonessential gatherings" during the height of the lockdowns.
But you have no basis for that, right? It's just a 'hunch'. How about the Mercer's Adelson's and Kochs? Do they also attend "nonessential gatherings" or is that conduct restricted to evil liberals?

Old 09-05-2020, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Actually, what fuels these conspiracy theories is stupidity.

Old 09-05-2020, 09:43 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,976,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
pitbulls? sorry you lost me there
Lmao how could thay analogy lose you? You made assumptions and were flat out wrong. That's actually what happened.

Old 09-06-2020, 06:53 AM

35,064 posts, read 17,014,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
But you have no basis for that, right? It's just a 'hunch'. How about the Mercer's Adelson's and Kochs? Do they also attend "nonessential gatherings" or is that conduct restricted to evil liberals?
Probably, but they don't hypocritically urge the restrictions on a suffering public.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California