Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2021, 11:51 AM

6,616 posts, read 4,882,033 times

Advertisements

Since everybody likes to mention Florida....
https://news.yahoo.com/covid-19-outb...172917026.html

Workplaces without masks remain unsafe for the unvaccinated, but on the plus side the sensible employee (female?) in the department wasn't infected.

Old 06-20-2021, 11:53 AM

6,675 posts, read 4,278,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Read the National Geographic article linked in post #7205 about the Delta variant.
Thank you, I just did. As far as registration to read the article, you just plug in an email address, no big deal.

The article says the vaccines are less effective against Delta, but then says that the Pfizer vax is 88% effective vs 93% effective for the other strain. That’s still excellent. The bottom of the article says it’s been updated:

“Editor's Note: This story has been updated to clarify the effectiveness of synthetic antibody treatments in neutralizing the Delta variant.“

That may be why the tone of the article is so serious even though the vaccines appear to still be effective. It appears they didn’t know how effective the vaccines were when they wrote the article.

It’s looking more and more like the flu. By that I mean different strains every year that required a new inoculation. Probably end up being the same with COVID.

Bottom line is that it looks like the vaccines are effective against it.

Old 06-20-2021, 12:03 PM

26,731 posts, read 26,820,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
The article says the vaccines are less effective against Delta, but then says that the Pfizer vax is 88% effective vs 93% effective for the other strain. That’s still excellent.
Except for the 51.6 percent of Californians who are not vaccinated.

Old 06-20-2021, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosoon View Post
As for those with only one dose, the indicator is there that the individual is going to be getting their second one soon enough.
Maybe with some people. From the article linked in post #7210:

"...the percentage of vaccinated LAPD officers has barely budged since April. Adding to the concern is the fact that some officers who received a first vaccination shot never showed up for the second, likely reducing their protection against COVID-19."

And I wonder how many of the general population in California just never got around to getting the second dose of their vaccine.

Old 06-20-2021, 12:09 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,663,382 times
Quote:
Could be the result of the media promoting fear for over a year now.

I was listening to the radio the other day and they were talking about a recent news article on the Delta variant. The headline just said Delta was 70% more contagious (or whatever). Down in the article it mentioned the vaccines are effective against it. You would think the headline could read “Delta more contagious, but vaccines effective.”

Looking at comments here and talking to people I know, many say they continue to wear a mask after vaccination because of the variants. Probably the same with our charming friend here.
They've going on about every variant for months now; the California variant, the British variant, the South African, Brazilian, etc... Yet here we are. COVID has turned a lot of people into hypochondriacs and they will probably never feel safe again. They're probably still over-sanitizing everything too which is problematic.

Old 06-20-2021, 12:55 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,882,033 times
Quote:
Maybe with some people. From the article linked in post #7210:

"...the percentage of vaccinated LAPD officers has barely budged since April. Adding to the concern is the fact that some officers who received a first vaccination shot never showed up for the second, likely reducing their protection against COVID-19."

And I wonder how many of the general population in California just never got around to getting the second dose of their vaccine.
It was near 10% maybe a month ago. It's in an article I read maybe Friday that I didn't deem worth sharing. It hardly explained why that's happening, but it seems to be on the increase. My guess is unpleasant reactions (which the media downplays), ignorance of how little protection one shot of a two-dose vaccine offers (again, blame the media) and less fear of coronavirus (basically a free-rider problem), atop people genuinely forgetting or otherwise being unable to keep their appointments (that would include maybe up to 0.5 percent of the 10% dying).

Old 06-20-2021, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Except for the 51.6 percent of Californians who are not vaccinated.
Your post doesn’t make sense in the context of my original post you responded to. I was talking about the media’s lack of highlighting that the vaccines are effective against Delta.

In fact, maybe if they did real reporting of facts instead of fear, it might push some of the 51.6% of those who are on the fence to go get jabbed.

Old 06-20-2021, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
They've going on about every variant for months now; the California variant, the British variant, the South African, Brazilian, etc... Yet here we are. COVID has turned a lot of people into hypochondriacs and they will probably never feel safe again. They're probably still over-sanitizing everything too which is problematic.
Agreed. Every time they whipped everyone up over a new variant, it hasn’t been the disaster they made it out to be. I was listening to an LA radio station this morning and they reported infections with Delta are down significantly.

Old 06-20-2021, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Your post doesn’t make sense in the context of my original post you responded to. I was talking about the media’s lack of highlighting that the vaccines are effective against Delta.
Not sure what you mean. You said, "Bottom line is that it looks like the vaccines are effective against it." But what about the unvaccinated?

Quote:
In fact, maybe if they did real reporting of facts instead of fear, it might push some of the 51.6% of those who are on the fence to go get jabbed.
So did you get yours?

Old 06-20-2021, 02:55 PM

4,433 posts, read 2,453,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
LAPD and San Diego personnel are probably moderately different demographically, if you know what I mean. I assume you're referring to SD individuals. I think vaccine hesitancy is the main issue with law enforcement people not getting the vaccine. It's not like the SoCal agencies aren't pushing their employees to get jabbed.

No, I was talking about LAPD and LA Fire and both people I know were covid positive before the vaccine was even in trials. Locally, it's been different with people (known to me personally) in the same fields. But they're all older too so that probably made a difference in deciding to get vaccinated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California