Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2020, 07:21 AM

21,741 posts, read 16,361,136 times

Advertisements

Gotta love mankind’s ingenuity, eh?

Old 07-14-2020, 09:42 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,301,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
It can also enter the system by the mouth, by wiping it or kissing, for instance.
Absolutely, I thought about that after I posted. My main point was that it can't be transmitted through skin. This is a good article about the various modes of transmission:
https://www.who.int/news-room/commen...on-precautions

Old 07-14-2020, 10:09 AM

6,616 posts, read 4,885,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
I doubt that the percentage of kids under 18 who are spreading this is very high. And beyond that age, parents have no right to check their kids' cell phones.
I don't think it's "very high," but the pathetic reality is that nobody knows. Few individuals under 18 are being tested.

Parents have no legal right to check cell phones of adults (unless they're special-needs perhaps), but I think a smart parent who has college-age children living at home forces a written rental agreement that allows for that and sets a curfew. All homeowners and renters can dictate that anyone living as a de facto guest cannot invite somebody over without permission. Like I've been saying this month, people must police each other, unless they prefer being policed by real men (and women) in blue.

Old 07-14-2020, 10:12 AM

4,169 posts, read 2,144,239 times
Quote:
I don't think it's "very high," but the pathetic reality is that nobody knows. Few individuals under 18 are being tested.

Parents have no legal right to check cell phones of adults (unless they're special-needs perhaps), but I think a smart parent who has college-age children living at home forces a written rental agreement that allows for that and sets a curfew. All homeowners and renters can dictate that anyone living as a de facto guest cannot invite somebody over without permission. Like I've been saying this month, people must police each other, unless they prefer being policed by real men (and women) in blue.

Wow, please tell me you're not serious about that. If i was still young adult and still lived with my parents, i would have moved out ASAP if they tried to do anything like that.

Old 07-14-2020, 10:24 AM

This is a pandemic. They probably have minimal income and nowhere (such as campus) to go. Parents can extra good behavior from them. Many parents have their own health risk factors that would motivate that.

Old 07-14-2020, 10:26 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,301,017 times
Quote:

I agree about parents monitoring adult "children" living in their home. My grandson spent the weekend with a 'supposedly' responsible 26 year old family member and when he got home his dad found out that while he was there she had a "big party" at her house and invited her 'homeboy' from Stockton to come over and cut the boys hair. My son was livid. He and his son went into voluntary quarantine for 2 weeks.

Regarding transmission from children, I would have said close to zero until I read this:

Quote:
As cases of COVID-19 rise in Texas, they’re also rising in childcare centers. Statewide so far, about 2,000 cases are linked to childcare centers. Texas has seen a 110 percent increase in cases linked to childcare centers in the past two weeks.

Just short of 2,000 cases are now connected to childcare centers in the state. A third of those cases are in children. Most are in childcare workers. In Dallas County, three of those workers have been hospitalized.

“The fact that you’ve got even two adults who have required intensive care hospitalization is concerning,” said Dallas County Health Director Dr. Philip Huang.

Dr. Huang says there are 79 cases connected to childcare facilities in the Dallas area. None of the cases in children in Dallas County have been severe, as children are far less likely to get severe symptoms, but we now know that 650 children have become infected connected to childcare centers across the state.
https://www.fox4news.com/news/parent...ldcare-centers

Last edited by 2sleepy; 07-14-2020 at 11:43 AM..

Old 07-14-2020, 01:29 PM

3,155 posts, read 2,703,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Regarding transmission from children, I would have said close to zero until I read this:
2000 cases "connected" to childcare centers, but only 1/3 of those cases in actual children? The rest are in staff?!

If that's not a clear case that kids can't transmit the virus--even among themselves--I don't know what is. A single case of Influenza-A runs through a class full of children like a cheetah, but sometimes misses the teacher.

COVID-19 is clearly a different kind of animal since it's doing the opposite. More often infecting the teacher, and rarely infecting the students. When it does, it seems like it's the adult infecting the child, who then cuts off the chain of transmission.

Old 07-14-2020, 01:48 PM

4,433 posts, read 2,455,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wac_432 View Post
2000 cases "connected" to childcare centers, but only 1/3 of those cases in actual children? The rest are in staff?!

If that's not a clear case that kids can't transmit the virus--even among themselves--I don't know what is. A single case of Influenza-A runs through a class full of children like a cheetah, but sometimes misses the teacher

Add to that, the virus was here well before the state shutdown and we never saw an explosion of cases in young kids. Schools and childcare centers are the antithesis of social distancing, etc. and yet the virus didn't run amok in those environments before March.

Old 07-14-2020, 02:12 PM

This thread is now infested with anti-science. Children can't transmit a virus? Provide real evidence or shut up. I see actual research on the subject and it does not say that. Plus, most classrooms were shut before the virus became prevalent in many areas.

Old 07-14-2020, 02:17 PM

3,155 posts, read 2,703,232 times
Quote:
This thread is now infested with anti-science. Children can't transmit a virus? Provide real evidence or shut up. I see actual research on the subject and it does not say that. Plus, most classrooms were shut before the virus became prevalent in many areas.
Here you go:
https://www.rivm.nl/en/novel-coronav...n-and-covid-19

This is from the National Institute for Public Health and the Environment of the Netherlands using data from before and after schools were reopened. It's a better source than the anecdotes from childcare centers here. They have actually been doing contact tracing, rather than just giving it lip service, like we are doing here in the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California