Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2020, 01:53 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,933,771 times

Advertisements

Dammit. Wtg antimaskers.

Old 07-13-2020, 01:53 PM

130,339 posts, read 12,112,869 times
I had a day trip planned for Wednesday, & lunch out. Not sure if I want to picnic it, or wait for the reopening. Bummer, we had escaped the second shut down, due to low caseload, but now this order is state wide.

Old 07-13-2020, 02:38 PM

4,433 posts, read 2,454,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
The distance learning that they instituted in April was just horrible, it was a mishmash of apps each requiring different logins and having several different methods of submitting the work.

Indeed. And we're stuck with it again at least for the foreseeable future. DL was a stopgap measure. Some students did better than others with it but it still boils down to parent involvement. For the upper grades, it's not all that difficult to check the work as done using things like Google classroom, etc. -- or just not do it at all (heard that complaint from a lot of teachers I work with).

Quote:
I am sure that some of the ELL kids (and there are a ton of them here from 40+ different countries here) didn't have parents who knew English well enough to navigate that mess, and more than a few don't have access to broadband. School is supposed to start here on August 13 and the idiot administrators keep having meetings and taking polls and haven't started to implement anything.

Again, agreed. And unfortunately, the kids on the lower socio-economic rungs suffer the most since those households are more likely to be single parent and/or parents who don't have the type of jobs with the luxury of working from home. Then there's the ESA needs which can't be filled at all, along with a host of other issues. There needs to be a better balance for the needs of everyone (students, parents and staff) to be met. This all or nothing approach isn't going to sit well with a lot of people.

Old 07-13-2020, 02:42 PM

4,433 posts, read 2,454,727 times
[quote=goodheathen;58615181]Teachers don't want to do it[/quote]

Not the ones I know and that's more than a just a few. Teaching remotely isn't a pleasant experience.
The real issue is the inability to pay for all the safety measures which would need to be put in place to open schools while minimizing risks. It could definitely be done, but it would take more effort and money than those in charge want to expend. So now we're set to lose another year of education for our kids.

Old 07-13-2020, 02:54 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,664,868 times
Thanks a lot. A lot of people will now be missing further paychecks, ALL BECAUSE SOME OF YOU COULD NOT SHOW A MODICUM OF CONSIDERATION FOR OTHERS.

Old 07-13-2020, 02:56 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,663,382 times
Quote:
Well thanks to all the plandemicer's the paranoid who think that wearing a mask is tyranny and the idiots who can't quit partying, you really did it, I hope you're proud

Gov. Newsom gives update on COVID-19 in California
Or maybe it's partly Newsom's fault too for granting all those variances allowing counties to reopen too soon that never really had the virus under control, especially in Southern CA. The infection rate in SoCal is something like triple or more than the Bay Area.

And San Mateo County with the 2nd highest case rate and high death rate in the Bay Area gets to stay open? Crap makes no sense.

Newsom has done a terrible job, almost as bad as Trump.

Old 07-13-2020, 03:10 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joosoon View Post
Indeed. And we're stuck with it again at least for the foreseeable future. DL was a stopgap measure. Some students did better than others with it but it still boils down to parent involvement. For the upper grades, it's not all that difficult to check the work as done using things like Google classroom, etc. -- or just not do it at all (heard that complaint from a lot of teachers I work with).

Again, agreed. And unfortunately, the kids on the lower socio-economic rungs suffer the most since those households are more likely to be single parent and/or parents who don't have the type of jobs with the luxury of working from home. Then there's the ESA needs which can't be filled at all, along with a host of other issues. There needs to be a better balance for the needs of everyone (students, parents and staff) to be met. This all or nothing approach isn't going to sit well with a lot of people.
well said, and I don't have any answers. Given today's newest round of shutdowns I am thinking all learning will be remotely done.

Old 07-13-2020, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Or maybe it's partly Newsom's fault too for granting all those variances allowing counties to reopen too soon that never really had the virus under control, especially in Southern CA. The infection rate in SoCal is something like triple or more than the Bay Area.

And San Mateo County with the 2nd highest case rate and high death rate in the Bay Area gets to stay open? Crap makes no sense.

Newsom has done a terrible job, almost as bad as Trump.
I think for the most part Newsom has done pretty well but I do think that he jumped the gun in reopening too many things all at once. But the bigger problem is that some counties are AWOL when it comes to trying to cut down on new cases and enforce existing orders.

Old 07-13-2020, 03:16 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,663,382 times
Quote:
I think for the most part Newsom has done pretty well but I do think that he jumped the gun in reopening too many things all at once. But the bigger problem is that some counties are AWOL when it comes to trying to cut down on new cases and enforce existing orders.
Based on what?

Old 07-13-2020, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Based on what?
What is the point of arguing this? I don't have the energy to spend two or three hours of back and forth talking about Gavin Newsom only to end it with each of still having the same opinion we started this with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California