Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2020, 07:44 AM

2,209 posts, read 1,783,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Like this person?

"The disease causes what she calls "storms," disabling periods when she feels shortness of breath, numbness in her hands and feet and her heart rate shoots up from simple tasks. Even taking a shower is possible only during an occasional respite in symptoms.

"In May and June, I could barely talk because I was so ill," she said.

Before contracting the disease in early April, the mother of two ran three times a week and had a regular yoga routine.

"I can only walk as far as the corner," she said. "In terms of running, I can't imagine when that will happen, if ever."

She is one of thousands around the world for whom Covid-19 has turned into a chronic condition. Gahan and other Covid-19 "long haulers" feel they aren't yet getting recognition for an illness that has disabled them for months, with no end in sight.

"I'm a clinical psychologist, and this is not anxiety," she said. "If doctors just say 'We don't know,' it's better than saying Covid symptoms only last two weeks."

Redefining Covid-19: Months after infection, patients report breathing difficulty, excessive fatigue:
https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/13/healt...ess/index.html
Those that think herd immunity is the key, ignore the reality that the herd will not be free of damage, regardless of age.

Old 09-15-2020, 09:42 AM

2,379 posts, read 1,815,179 times
In reading the article, " can sometimes" quote from the article is something to keep in mind.......in other words, probably not the case for most.
https://www.livescience.com/brain-in...ronavirus.html

The covid-19 pandemic has resulted in me doing some reading on other viruses that can infect humans. One virus I was reading up on named "Epstein Barr" was discovered over 40 years ago and from what I read in various readings, is still not fully understood.

Old 09-15-2020, 11:14 AM

35,064 posts, read 17,014,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joosoon View Post
It appears in-person dining plays a significant role in community spread. So why is it that every time the rules are relaxed, that's one of the first things allowed to reopen? Like everything else, the CDC study isn't conclusive but at the same time the pattern can't be discounted. Just another example of policy not being based on science.
Policy must be based on economics as well. The simple fact is that much of the modern Western economies are based upon entertainment and services. While from the point of view of an epidemiologist the ideal with any epidemic or pandemic is to isolate the disease, this is problematic without destroying the economy and many peoples' mental health. The ideal solution in many situations is impractical or impossible.

Old 09-15-2020, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by looker009 View Post
What are you suggesting? Should we keep dinning in closed for the next 9-12 months? Soon rain/snow season will start and food industry will not be able to do outside at all. If dinning in is banned, all of those business going to be dead.
They can sell food to-go (prepared and not) and do delivery. California has a 2020 program that pays restaurants to deliver meals to seniors. Obviously it's time for the state to help restaurants more with rent.
From what funds does "the state...help restaurants more with rent"? Santa Claus?

Old 09-15-2020, 11:20 AM

21,736 posts, read 16,350,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Policy must be based on economics as well. The simple fact is that much of the modern Western economies are based upon entertainment and services. While from the point of view of an epidemiologist the ideal with any epidemic or pandemic is to isolate the disease, this is problematic without destroying the economy and many peoples' mental health. The ideal solution in many situations is impractical or impossible.
And yet, the near-“ideal” solutions HAVE been successfully implemented in a number of other world countries.

It is also flat out brain-dead to ignore the ‘fact’ that economies rely on a healthy population. Which comes first? (Rhetorical.)

Old 09-15-2020, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wac_432 View Post
In any case, if you can come up with a better explanation for cases falling off a cliff in places like Sweden, Arizona, Florida, Here, etc, other than herd immunity. I'm all ears.
Add to that New York and the U.S. northeast.

Old 09-15-2020, 11:26 AM

19,208 posts, read 16,696,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
From what funds does "the state...help restaurants more with rent"? Santa Claus?
It's true. It's a partnership between local governments, FEMA and restaurants. It's not only paid by the state. He announced the program this past April.

Old 09-15-2020, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by looker009 View Post
You will never get any state to do full lockdown, even New York never did full lockdown as that is just unrealistic in US. To do full lockdown you basically need to do full lockdown of US at the same time as that is just 100% impossible. My plan is to fully reopen the economy and let the cards fall where they do. Hospitals had plenty of time to get ready, now it's time to dance.

I am aware of 2 country that didn't lock anything down Belarus and Sweden. Look at their numbers, they are much better compare to many other that did lock everything down. Maybe just maybe herd immunity works.
You didn't answer my question. How do you propose we solve for this?

That's right, you want your cake and you want to eat it too. Your actions are causing a self fulfilling prophecy regarding COVID spread + the inability to fully reopen the economy.
He answered you; full reopen. I personally suspect it won't be an instantaneous time tunnel back to January 2020 because enough people will either know they are vulnerable or just be scared. At least we get a modicum of happiness, prosperity and economy back.

Old 09-15-2020, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
And yet, the near-“ideal” solutions HAVE been successfully implemented in a number of other world countries.

It is also flat out brain-dead to ignore the ‘fact’ that economies rely on a healthy population. Which comes first? (Rhetorical.)
Do you have any plan to end such a shutdown?

Old 09-15-2020, 11:46 AM

2,379 posts, read 1,815,179 times
Until there is one or more vaccines that are safe & have a fairly high degree of effectiveness, I can't see full reopening in the cards.........unless the prediction put out months ago by one individual, that the virus will just "go away" turns out to be true....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California