Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2021, 11:08 AM

3,348 posts, read 2,312,464 times

Advertisements

One thing interesting I noticed is how California is truely a trend setter. When other states abolish restrictions prior to California people and corporations, and local governments, or at least 50% of them were still apprehensive of lifting their own unique house post covid restrictions. But when California lifted it its like waving the Green flag at the race track for many corporations and local governments and the green flag doesn't go back to yellow again no matter the infection rates. Apparently as late as May even in most open parts of the country despite official government restrictions being no more, fast food still often lock their lobbies, some medical offices still forbid use of the waiting room, dentists offices were such a ghost town that it was possible to get a teeth drilled the same day without a new appointment, fitting rooms in many large clothing stores were still locked tight, some stores forbid returns for any reason, police were still called for unmasked patrons. But since June everyone started to book dentist appointments to the point they were not available for the next two months, most stores in malls or otherwise lifted their store's own unique restrictions(i.e one at a time, temp checks, etc), people fearlessly packed into stadiums for games with no more social distancing. I am surprised. Its like people and businesses suddenly were convinced COVID is gone, when blue states lift restrictions, it really isnt though. Though malls still close early and some stores still cannot open with the mall same thing happens in airports as well. But its very interesting what affects behaviors around the country. Apparently large corporates also seem to follow blue state practices more than red state ones.

Old 10-25-2021, 12:42 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,884,211 times
People are herd creatures. Still, some of that is wrong. Returns remain forbidden in some stores, some fast-food restaurants aren't allowing indoor dining, and in summer I definitely didn't have to wait months to book dental work.

Now it's the COVID doubters quitting gyms en masse ahead of vaccine mandates expected there, making them nicely less crowded.

Old 10-25-2021, 05:47 PM

4,433 posts, read 2,454,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
Post-viral effects of COVID-19 simply haven't been studied long enough to know....

Sorry, but I disagree and the only reason I pointed this out was because of what was directly linked in the NPR piece which accompanied the "we don't know enough about..." comment. I even referenced it in my response.

I'll just go ahead and post it verbatim instead: "Months after the pandemic began, scientists, including Dr. Anthony Fauci, the nation's top infectious disease expert, warned about a post-viral syndrome that was showing up in people who had recovered from COVID. That led some to compare the symptoms experienced by many following COVID-19 to the same experience that some people have after other viral infections, such as the flu."

Much like what you're saying about the vaccines, the same goes for covid19. We do actually know things about long term effects and predictable results from both, based on the behavior of other viruses. Repeating a refrain like "we don't know enough yadda-yadda" is one thing. But to say that, and then post information that directly says otherwise is weird. It's as if people don't read their own links which they toss into the mix.

Old 10-25-2021, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
While you are laser focused on long term effects from the vaccine

Nice try, but no.
Considering just the other day I asked on this thread if anyone had gotten their third booster (which I'm scheduled to do this week), is it really plausible that I'm "laser focused on long term effects from the vaccine"?

Old 10-25-2021, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizensadvocate View Post
OIts like people and businesses suddenly were convinced COVID is gone, when blue states lift restrictions, it really isnt though.

Our numbers would have us shut down still. So if the state was being honest and following actual science, nothing would be open and everyone would be stuck at home.

Old 10-25-2021, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosoon View Post
Sorry, but I disagree and the only reason I pointed this out was because of what was directly linked in the NPR piece which accompanied the "we don't know enough about..." comment. I even referenced it in my response.

I'll just go ahead and post it verbatim instead: "Months after the pandemic began, scientists, including Dr. Anthony Fauci, the nation's top infectious disease expert, warned about a post-viral syndrome that was showing up in people who had recovered from COVID. That led some to compare the symptoms experienced by many following COVID-19 to the same experience that some people have after other viral infections, such as the flu."

Much like what you're saying about the vaccines, the same goes for covid19. We do actually know things about long term effects and predictable results from both, based on the behavior of other viruses. Repeating a refrain like "we don't know enough yadda-yadda" is one thing. But to say that, and then post information that directly says otherwise is weird. It's as if people don't read their own links which they toss into the mix.
1) That wasn't my link.
2) It's not even 2 years, there's been much less time to study post-viral symptoms from breakthrough COVID infections, and for the xth time, I'm especially concerned about organ damage, which is virus-specific and not the fatigue-first syndrome that comes with many of the hard-hitting viruses. The medical community has largely ignored that in patients not hospitalized for organ-related symptoms.

Old 10-25-2021, 06:09 PM

2,209 posts, read 1,784,613 times
Quote:
1) That wasn't my link.
2) It's not even 2 years, there's been much less time to study post-viral symptoms from breakthrough COVID infections, and for the xth time, I'm especially concerned about organ damage, which is virus-specific and not the fatigue-first syndrome that comes with many of the hard-hitting viruses. The medical community has largely ignored that in patients not hospitalized for organ-related symptoms.
Yes, they are just beginning to study this issue.

Old 10-25-2021, 06:18 PM

Quote:
1) That wasn't my link.

1) I know.
2) I heard it the first nth time. I get it. But what can you do other than fret about it and be as protected against the virus as reasonably possible, which I assume you are? That's part of why I'm going to get the third shot.

Old 10-25-2021, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer46 View Post
Yes, they are just beginning to study this issue.

But, we have decades of research into other post-viral syndromes, like with polio. So we're not charting a completely new course here.

Old 10-25-2021, 06:36 PM

If it causes more problems than currently thought, there has to be more testing, renewed capacity restrictions, work-from-home wherever possible (which frankly should have been the case the entire time), masking rules pushed to medical-grade, more pressure on pharmaceutical companies to develop better vaccines, etc.

If they can develop an affordable COVID version of this, the virus probably can be permanently defeated.
https://www.europeanpharmaceuticalre...dy-treatments/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California