Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2020, 06:43 AM

73 posts, read 47,532 times

Advertisements

https://www.yahoo.com/news/californi...090014408.html

The article, just one of hundreds that have appeared in recent years that use some version of the term “fail,” accuses California of failing at the homelessness crisis (by far, the worst in the nation), polarizing politics, a historically bad pandemic response, sky-high housing costs, and an energy debacle. I lived in San Francisco decades ago and began to see the ugly truth long before most wanted to admit it and hightailed it east. Missing the weather, I moved back to San Diego in 1996, spending 2 years there before fleeing again, this time for good. The weather wasn’t worth what the state had become. I have not looked back.

So why are you still in California despite all the failures? And are you planning an escape to Arizona, Nevada, Washington, Colorado, Oregon, or Idaho?

Last edited by Vocal Banned; 08-30-2020 at 06:51 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2020, 06:52 AM

7,242 posts, read 4,555,210 times
Weather. I suspect though that the turn California has taken is calculated precisely to push people out that can go. 40 million people in the state is too much and the state realized they had to do something.

Quietly, behind the scenes, the liberal elite are likely moving in and getting set up in places... but you will notice the "feeling" in the media for about 2 years has been that California is no place anyone wants to go.

This is on purpose as people realized that people coming to the state was becoming unsustainable.

ETA: I also think at least part of the reason entertainment has been on such a decline is that I think the power players in Hollywood have largely left or retired and are trying to diversify Hollywood for a more global presence. It is cheaper to make moves outside of california and I think they see the writing on the wall... So the talent is off trying to establish production in other areas.

Last edited by Arya Stark; 08-30-2020 at 07:07 AM..

Old 08-30-2020, 07:19 AM

5,752 posts, read 2,784,113 times
Great, will you keep an eye on this for us? I am looking for some bargain basement pricing on homes in the north bay. With this mass exodus, supported by seeing more license plates, housing prices should be falling like a rock. Right?

Old 08-30-2020, 08:33 AM

747 posts, read 498,892 times
The weather as someone else said is really great, particularly Southern California. San Francisco was too cold for me personally. Other than that and maybe the supposedly glamorous life that Hollywood stuffs down our throats, there wasn’t much reason for me to stay in California, so I moved a couple of years ago. SF had just about everything I thought I wanted, except when I moved there, it was just too dirty, too many homeless, and too expensive. It was nice to be the envy of the nation for those that had never been. Friends would always say they were jealous that I moved to California, which felt cool. Day to day life though was not cool. Living in California is way different than the idea of living in California.

Old 08-30-2020, 08:52 AM

2,355 posts, read 1,153,716 times
Geographically speaking, I live in a small town in California, but in my personal experience of the place, I live in Crete......as evidenced by the numerous cretins who also live here.

Last edited by Tedster24; 08-30-2020 at 09:00 AM..

Old 08-30-2020, 09:11 AM

4,433 posts, read 2,457,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vocal Banned View Post
sky-high housing costs

How is that one an indicator of failure? If anything it's the opposite. That's basic economics at work.
As for living here, if I couldn't continue to afford to live in San Diego, I'd consider leaving the state. Sounds like it didn't fit you at all other than the climate. I wish more people would have the same experience and these alleged mass-exoduses would become a real thing for once.

Old 08-30-2020, 09:12 AM

747 posts, read 498,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joosoon View Post
How is that one an indicator of failure? If anything it's the opposite. That's basic economics at work.
As for living here, if I couldn't continue to afford to live in San Diego, I'd consider leaving the state. Sounds like it didn't fit you at all other than the climate. I wish more people would have the same experience and these alleged mass-exoduses would become a real thing for once.
Did you read the article?

Old 08-30-2020, 09:15 AM

12,199 posts, read 7,232,697 times
California has a lot of things going for it like climate, scenery, coastal location, etc. but the Left is trying their best to nullify all those advantages.

Old 08-30-2020, 09:20 AM

26,747 posts, read 26,841,237 times
Quote:
So why are you still in California despite all the failures?
Didn't we just answer that in this thread? Why do people still want to live in California?
https://www.city-data.com/forum/cali...want-live.html

Quote:
I lived in San Francisco decades ago and began to see the ugly truth long before most wanted to admit it and hightailed it east. Missing the weather, I moved back to San Diego in 1996, spending 2 years there before fleeing again, this time for good.
A question for you: Why do former Californians still post in California forums?
https://www.city-data.com/forum/cali...-still-ca.html

Old 08-30-2020, 09:32 AM

296 posts, read 266,128 times
We stay because we like to get our laughs daily from people who cannot afford to live here who come to City Data to bash our state. It's a cheap source of amusement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California