Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2020, 09:19 AM

25,585 posts, read 17,310,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
Honestly, I think places like TX and FL only have small areas that are desirable anyway. In TX, Austin is a very desirable city and many of the suburbs in the DFW area are desirable. Perhaps you can throw in a few suburban areas in Houston, some of the hill country and beach towns. THAT'S IT. Ever driven through west Texas (e.g., Midland/Odessa)? That's about as bleak of a place as I've ever been through. It makes places like Bakersfield and Barstow look scenic.............
How about Big Spring, TX? "Butt-ugly" comes to mind but the people there are fine.
Sulfur, Louisiana? ...... Now, THAT place is ugly! It was ugly BEFORE the hurricane... but I sure had a good time there.
And before everyone gets all fired up about Texas, they need to take a look at Pasadena, TX. Bakersfield would be a welcome relief.
My choice, if family and finances permitted, would be right down town Charleston, SC.
But I had fun when I lived in San Francisco. Must have had fun in San Diego, too. My daughter was born there.

****! The whole dang world is wonderful; I want it ALL!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2020, 09:51 AM

102,220 posts, read 107,999,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
How about Big Spring, TX? "Butt-ugly" comes to mind but the people there are fine.
Sulfur, Louisiana? ...... Now, THAT place is ugly! It was ugly BEFORE the hurricane... but I sure had a good time there.
And before everyone gets all fired up about Texas, they need to take a look at Pasadena, TX. Bakersfield would be a welcome relief.
My choice, if family and finances permitted, would be right down town Charleston, SC.
But I had fun when I lived in San Francisco. Must have had fun in San Diego, too. My daughter was born there.

****! The whole dang world is wonderful; I want it ALL!
OMG, what a refreshing attitude! We don't see this sort of enthusing often on C-D. What a nice start to the morning.

Old 08-31-2020, 09:54 AM

3,155 posts, read 2,705,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vocal Banned View Post
I moved back to San Diego in 1996, spending 2 years there before fleeing again, this time for good. The weather wasn’t worth what the state had become. I have not looked back.

So why are you still in California despite all the failures? And are you planning an escape to Arizona, Nevada, Washington, Colorado, Oregon, or Idaho?
You moved out in 1998, but you're still haunting California forums, 22 years later!

I've moved out of FL, MA, and a few flyover states and I don't think I've posted in any of their forums even once.

There are so many sour-grapers on the CA forum, it's pretty clear that you can check out any time you like, but you can never leave.

As for escaping... there's nowhere I'd rather be in the USA. If I had no choice, I might settle for CO, the OBX, or back to the MA/NY area, but it would be settling, just like the OP has.

Yeah, the CA response to COVID annoys me, but at least we don't have a death rate that is 10X higher than the rest of the country, like New York does.

Old 08-31-2020, 10:25 AM

4,226 posts, read 3,305,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vocal Banned View Post
https://www.yahoo.com/news/californi...090014408.html

The article, just one of hundreds that have appeared in recent years that use some version of the term “fail,” accuses California of failing at the homelessness crisis (by far, the worst in the nation), polarizing politics, a historically bad pandemic response, sky-high housing costs, and an energy debacle. I lived in San Francisco decades ago and began to see the ugly truth long before most wanted to admit it and hightailed it east. Missing the weather, I moved back to San Diego in 1996, spending 2 years there before fleeing again, this time for good. The weather wasn’t worth what the state had become. I have not looked back.

So why are you still in California despite all the failures? And are you planning an escape to Arizona, Nevada, Washington, Colorado, Oregon, or Idaho?
LOL that article is so dumb. Even dumber than the tweet I saw the other day claiming a mass exodus from NYC, illustrated by a photo of 15 people (in a city of 8 million) standing in line outside a U-haul office.

He saw some CA plates in Arizona....FAILED STATE!

Anyone who has driven on I-8 east of San Diego metro area knows its not uncommon to see more AZ plates than CA plates on the road at times (which is way more significant as AZ is much less populated).

Old 08-31-2020, 10:32 AM

1,318 posts, read 5,273,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
Yep, I am anxious to leave California where I was born and have lived all but 3 months of my life. Recently retired, I would be gone now except for the Covid 19 shutdowns and restrictions that are making it difficult for me to scout locations and find an apartment back east where I am planning to move.

I can't leave California soon enough. If the country is still locked down next spring and I still can't readily travel back east to scout out a good place to live, I will just get an apartment site unseen in a state I can tolerate and go from there.

Under no conditions will I be living in California this time next year. Not unless I am in a grave here somewhere.

Back East....oh lorty,,,buh bye...

Old 08-31-2020, 10:40 AM

102,220 posts, read 107,999,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
Yep, I am anxious to leave California where I was born and have lived all but 3 months of my life. Recently retired, I would be gone now except for the Covid 19 shutdowns and restrictions that are making it difficult for me to scout locations and find an apartment back east where I am planning to move.

I can't leave California soon enough. If the country is still locked down next spring and I still can't readily travel back east to scout out a good place to live, I will just get an apartment site unseen in a state I can tolerate and go from there.

Under no conditions will I be living in California this time next year. Not unless I am in a grave here somewhere.
Where, in the East? Northeast? Please let us know how you like it after you get settled in, especially after the first winter, or the first hurricane, if you're south of the snow line.

Old 08-31-2020, 10:44 AM

409 posts, read 451,098 times
I bet many places would like to be as "failed" as California The world's 5th largest economy... new arrivals are better educated and wealthier than those leaving... finest public university/college system in the world... industry and innovation leader... geographically, demographically diverse. Oh, poor, poor California. Such a loser.

Old 08-31-2020, 10:59 AM

2,023 posts, read 1,743,317 times
Around 1985 I realized that the California of the 60’s was gone for good. A real tragic outcome that was once a great state!! I owe a lot to California....it changed and was really important to my family as we came from poor, working class roots."

You are absolutely, 100% correct if you visit Los Angeles or San Francisco.

Up here in Paradise CA, 95969 the sixties are alive and well. The first time we visited here around 2006 I stopped the car, turned to my wife and said the magic words: "Look, Honey, I think there is a time machine, after all. The movies don't lie."

Now if only the constant fires and rising taxes and insurance costs would give me another 10-15 years to stay I'd take it. I doubt it will work out, unfortunately.

Old 08-31-2020, 11:17 AM

747 posts, read 499,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Where, in the East? Northeast? Please let us know how you like it after you get settled in, especially after the first winter, or the first hurricane, if you're south of the snow line.
Can we not act like the fires of California are not just as bad as snow or hurricanes?

Old 08-31-2020, 11:23 AM

747 posts, read 499,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
I expect there are wonderful areas to live in almost every state. California is way too diverse to cover with a broad brush.
I've lived in almost every corner of America, including California. There are good places to live everywhere.
I disagree. Yes there are good places to live everywhere but not necessarily for every person. For example, there are places that offer a superb lifestyle to all kinds of people, no matter the race, creed, religion, or gender. Other places might be great for one group of people, but if “variety“ is introduced in such a place, extreme hostility occurs toward that person or group. The beauty of CA, FL, and TX as states is that all kinds of people have multiple opportunities to experience a high quality of life. Whereas in somewhere such as West Virginia, a Black gay man for example might not experience the same joys in a random city as a straight white male. That was a crude example and I hate to go racial or even political but hopefully what I’m trying to convey makes sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California