Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2020, 05:01 PM

3,348 posts, read 2,315,149 times

Advertisements

Interestingly I just thought of something if CA is that great in economic growth for the foreseeable why private firms didn't step up to support the fast train project? When the train idea was proposed it was expected the whole thing to receive private funding however it ended up the project would be most if all funded by state and federal grant since no private interest stepped up to cover the cost which may have played a role in dooming the project. I guess those firms predicted that CA would fail someday thus find it a bad investment. I always thought the train would be very successful and generate loads of fare revenue especially if it served Tijuana via the cross border Xpress at Tijuana airport allowing travelers to skip San Ysidro/Otay Mesa border lines via dedicated immigration clearance facility on their way to San Diego, SAN, John Wayne and Los Angeles and LAX airports. Shaving hours off their commute. I mean the LOSSAN Pacific Surfliner line is already among the busiest rail corridor in the US thus HSR would definitely be profitable here. Yet the entire project is doomed. I be curious what doomed private funding of HSR and the HSR plan in general and whether the state's policies drove private firms away. By the way appears they are doing an entirely privately funded HSR project in Texas and Florida these days. I be curious why those states and not California?

Last edited by citizensadvocate; 09-03-2020 at 05:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2020, 06:05 PM

3,416 posts, read 2,461,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizensadvocate View Post
Interestingly I just thought of something if CA is that great in economic growth for the foreseeable why private firms didn't step up to support the fast train project? When the train idea was proposed it was expected the whole thing to receive private funding however it ended up the project would be most if all funded by state and federal grant since no private interest stepped up to cover the cost which may have played a role in dooming the project. I guess those firms predicted that CA would fail someday thus find it a bad investment. I always thought the train would be very successful and generate loads of fare revenue especially if it served Tijuana via the cross border Xpress at Tijuana airport allowing travelers to skip San Ysidro/Otay Mesa border lines via dedicated immigration clearance facility on their way to San Diego, SAN, John Wayne and Los Angeles and LAX airports. Shaving hours off their commute. I mean the LOSSAN Pacific Surfliner line is already among the busiest rail corridor in the US thus HSR would definitely be profitable here. Yet the entire project is doomed. I be curious what doomed private funding of HSR and the HSR plan in general and whether the state's policies drove private firms away. By the way appears they are doing an entirely privately funded HSR project in Texas and Florida these days. I be curious why those states and not California?
Seriously? Everyone besides the politicians proposing it (while lining their pockets from special interests) knew it was bad idea from the get go.

In 2019 over 60% of VC investment in the US was in California. This tells me that private firms believe in the health of the state more than those not wanting to fund a loser train.

https://www.statista.com/topics/2565...north-america/

Old 09-03-2020, 06:13 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,999,816 times
The HSR route was planned to go through the Central Valley in large part, where temps are higher. With climate change and the heat spikes that have been happening with greater frequency and increasing intensity, it would threaten the integrity of the tracks over time. If it had been proposed and done 40 years ago, the public would have gotten 40 years of use out of it already. Now is a bad time to do a costly project like that, IMO. Also, the fares would be too expensive for people to use it for commuting long distances (the whole Valley-to-Bay job commute theory). And there's the other issue of there being too many stops forced onto the system in SoCal for it to even be High Speed rail in that corridor.

We don't need to rehash this here. There was a lengthy dedicated thread to this, that you can look up.

Florida; good luck with that! Florida will be the first state to go undenrnwater, as some of it already is. People have tropical fish swimming around in their front lawns, and rooms in their homes disappearing into sinkholes. Really not a good location for HSR.

Old 09-03-2020, 07:02 PM

3,348 posts, read 2,315,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
The HSR route was planned to go through the Central Valley in large part, where temps are higher. With climate change and the heat spikes that have been happening with greater frequency and increasing intensity, it would threaten the integrity of the tracks over time. If it had been proposed and done 40 years ago, the public would have gotten 40 years of use out of it already. Now is a bad time to do a costly project like that, IMO. Also, the fares would be too expensive for people to use it for commuting long distances (the whole Valley-to-Bay job commute theory). And there's the other issue of there being too many stops forced onto the system in SoCal for it to even be High Speed rail in that corridor.

We don't need to rehash this here. There was a lengthy dedicated thread to this, that you can look up.

Florida; good luck with that! Florida will be the first state to go undenrnwater, as some of it already is. People have tropical fish swimming around in their front lawns, and rooms in their homes disappearing into sinkholes. Really not a good location for HSR.
I be curious whether the Texas one would open in 2022. Texas is very hot too. So is China where the largest HSR system currently operate. And what will happen to existing train tracks in the age of climate change.

Also it appears they don't propose on the Central Coast where the busy LOSSAN rail is now located. I am surprised they hadn't converted LOSSAN into a high speed corridor today it could carry even more passengers this way. As for number of stops, there can be express and local trains. The main issue is making the line straight enough for high speed operation due to the current curvature of the line.

I believe the originally intended privately funded train is intended to mostly used for business travelers, airport users, rather than daily commuters except for short hops between cities i.e between Tijuana, San Diego County, Orange county, and Los Angeles County between not between Central Valley or Bay Area to LA. Just like airlines. I would also guess though some conservative central valley ranch owners don't want progressivism being sped into the Central Valley by the train as it would lure coastal people to live in cheaper central valley if the train was built.
Though building and opening between cities in Central Valley first seems absord. Though since Central Valley is severely underserved by airlines/airports it would help bridge the gap should they be able to ride it to SoCal or the SF Bay Area.

I bet if the train could go to TJ or even bordering TJ via a dedicated immigration clearance facility for train riders I believe it would really be successful. As it would shave hours off a trip to OC, LA, or the San Joaquin Valley in many families from Mexico travel to and from often.

Though I am not wanting to get into this topic too much here but why do private firms chose to fund the Texas project instead of CA project is it because they have more confidence that it would work out better in Texas because its more business friendly?

Old 09-03-2020, 08:54 PM

301 posts, read 164,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
What an utterly stupid ignorant statement:

Just because I live in California, and reside in Riverside doesn’t mean “I’m heavily influenced by Mexican culture”.

You had to reach way down in the bottom of your ass to pull that out.

I have friends who live in all those states. I have visited them. They are okay.
Not something I would want to move and live in. Personal choice. Don't read anything more into it than that.

Instead of making racist assumptions about me based on where I live and what I’m inclined to do could simply ask me why I wouldn’t move to those states. I worked back East for projects in the past and I have no desire to live there. At least not at this time. In some cases is the politics of the state, medical services or lack of, jobs, career growth, possibly starting another business, the weather may suck, humidity, bugs, rain storms, hurricanes, heavy snow.

You are fairly clueless as to my situation and probably pretty much everyone else’s situation.
None of the states with the exception of Utah would interest me.
And Utah is like 10th on my retirement list.
There is more to moving to a different state than...it’s nice.

I don't fawn over any state in fact, I dare you to find any posts that say anything more than I would probably move to x y or z state when I retire.

What about Oklahoma?

Blake Shelton lives there

Old 09-03-2020, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizensadvocate View Post
I be curious whether the Texas one would open in 2022. Texas is very hot too. So is China where the largest HSR system currently operate. And what will happen to existing train tracks in the age of climate change.
China is CONSTANTLY working on the parts of their HSR that go through Tibet, because of the temperature extremes there. They have to replace the tracks regularly.

Old 09-03-2020, 09:48 PM

10 posts, read 7,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danica32 View Post
We stay because we like to get our laughs daily from people who cannot afford to live here who come to City Data to bash our state. It's a cheap source of amusement.

I can afford to live here, but I am still looking to move. It's fine that you still enjoy it here. My bf is a small business owner and can't stand the heavy regulations (he gets plenty of business but some of the regulations can be downright infuriating). Many young people though are having trouble trying to afford a home here, which I find pretty sad. But beyond that, there are a myriad of reasons people are leaving, though cost of living is certainly driving many people out, including those that want to stay and have been here their whole lives.

Old 09-04-2020, 10:54 AM

11,510 posts, read 6,027,599 times
‘New York and California are the land of the flee, and Texas is the land of the free’

“I actually think we're not appreciating it as big and profound as it actually is. Our joke has been that New York and California are the land of the flee, and Texas is the land of the free,” Ari Rastegar, founder of Rastegar Property Company, an Austin-based real estate investment firm, told Yahoo Finance’s The Final Round.

People are “moving from more tax, business and regulatory-unfriendly states to more tax, business and regulatory-friendly states where homes are more affordable,” Jonathan Woloshin, UBS Global Wealth Management head of U.S. real estate, told Yahoo Finance’s The First Trade.

The shift to suburban and small-town living was already happening, but the pandemic sped it up. Rents are rising and inventory is dwindling in small towns.

Meanwhile, rents are coming down and vacancies are piling up in big cities like New York. San Francisco asking rent dropped 3.3% from March to July, and New York asking rent dropped 2.8% from March to July,

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/new-y...153723421.html

Old 09-04-2020, 10:58 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,321,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vocal Banned View Post
https://www.yahoo.com/news/californi...090014408.html

The article, just one of hundreds that have appeared in recent years that use some version of the term “fail,” accuses California of failing at the homelessness crisis (by far, the worst in the nation), polarizing politics, a historically bad pandemic response, sky-high housing costs, and an energy debacle. I lived in San Francisco decades ago and began to see the ugly truth long before most wanted to admit it and hightailed it east. Missing the weather, I moved back to San Diego in 1996, spending 2 years there before fleeing again, this time for good. The weather wasn’t worth what the state had become. I have not looked back.

So why are you still in California despite all the failures? And are you planning an escape to Arizona, Nevada, Washington, Colorado, Oregon, or Idaho?
California has a GDP greater than that of all but about twenty foreign nations. It is far from a "failed state" despite problems like homelessness.

California has a severe homeless problem primarily because of its geography. If you were homeless, you wouldn't choose to live in a cold state like North Dakota. You'd pick a state with good weather. As such, states like California with a mild climate attract more than their share of homeless people. It has nothing to do with politics and little to do with most of the things you have mentioned, except for high housing costs. I wish that problem had an easy solution, but the reality is many, many people want to live in CA and that keeps housing costs rising.

Old 09-04-2020, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
‘New York and California are the land of the flee, and Texas is the land of the free’

“I actually think we're not appreciating it as big and profound as it actually is. Our joke has been that New York and California are the land of the flee, and Texas is the land of the free,” Ari Rastegar, founder of Rastegar Property Company, an Austin-based real estate investment firm, told Yahoo Finance’s The Final Round.

People are “moving from more tax, business and regulatory-unfriendly states to more tax, business and regulatory-friendly states where homes are more affordable,” Jonathan Woloshin, UBS Global Wealth Management head of U.S. real estate, told Yahoo Finance’s The First Trade.

The shift to suburban and small-town living was already happening, but the pandemic sped it up. Rents are rising and inventory is dwindling in small towns.

Meanwhile, rents are coming down and vacancies are piling up in big cities like New York. San Francisco asking rent dropped 3.3% from March to July, and New York asking rent dropped 2.8% from March to July,

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/new-y...153723421.html
But in TX, you have to put up with god-awful heat, the occasional hurricane, and from what former residents report on C-D, terrible health insurance through the workplace. So, whatever. Everyone chooses the trade-offs they can live with. You can have Texas, Igor. Enjoy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California