Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2020, 07:33 PM

2,209 posts, read 1,785,923 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Not a problem ... would never happen ... 99.9% of the population couldn’t ever handle the simplistic, minimalism required to live on a boat (Russian oligarch yachts excluded from generalization).

But that’s not the only way to get by, saving the interest on a mortgage while accumulating enough dough to pay cash price only if one chooses to buy a home. ... Then again, 99% of people aren’t willing to live simple enough to save by any method ... *shrug*. I couldn’t care less. Not advising. Just commenting: real estate isn’t the only way, nor the best or fastest, or easiest way to develop a good net worth nut.
True it is just one of many. If a person makes a really good choice, usually by accident, he may quickly be a millionaire. Such is rare. The key is being wise in the use of money, saving as much as you can and doing intelligent planning for what you need, not simply what a person desires. The ones who do not do this, are the usual complainers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2020, 07:38 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,457,092 times
Because winter in Chicago is not that much fun?

Old 09-10-2020, 08:25 PM

1 posts, read 241 times
Work, family and property. As I age, the first becomes less relevant, the second gets smaller and the third's equity bankrolls my inevitable move east.

I've done extensive travelling, but every one of my 57 years have been spent as a resident of this state. It's time for a change.

Old 09-10-2020, 08:49 PM

301 posts, read 164,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
Because winter in Chicago is not that much fun?

Old 09-10-2020, 09:48 PM

4,395 posts, read 1,703,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBPACKERS1200 View Post
My point was that the people in CA who supported and continue to support absurd lockdown policies are insulated from any negative economic impact due to their privileged position in society. You people are so disconnected from the reality that the average middle class person or recent immigrant to CA is facing.
I am an average middle class person. While I am not happy about the restrictions, I understand why we need them.

Old 09-11-2020, 06:15 AM

26,747 posts, read 26,841,237 times
California is a huge state, with all manner of seasonal changes, including autumnal foliage, snowfall and spring wildflowers. So that’s the first mistake people make when they talk about Californians — compressing 164,000 square miles, 20 climate zones and pretty much every demographic you can think of into two sets of stereotypes: beachified, hug-addicted, Tinseltown-centric Southern California, where everything is fake; and hippified, hacky-sacking, crunchy Northern California, where everyone plays guitar.

Every place is perilous in one way or another and, while California must begin to tackle fire prevention with more seriousness and resources, it is the state I love best. The glamour, the wackiness, the obsession with food trucks and crystals, the weird relationship with time and the unorthodox definition of RSVP are all real. But so is the unaffected grit, the endurance, the understanding that nature knows no boundaries — and that the ones we erect can vanish with one jolt, one gust of wind.

California fires debunk La La Land stereotype. We’re tougher than you think:
https://www.latimes.com/entertainmen...than-you-think

Old 09-11-2020, 10:26 AM

4,433 posts, read 2,457,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nairbdes View Post
• Family and friends all here

This is always understated in these conversations. Who is willing to uproot themselves from their entire social circle, abandoning everyone they associate with on a regular basis? It seems weird to me but I suppose it happens.

Last edited by joosoon; 09-11-2020 at 10:38 AM..

Old 09-11-2020, 11:08 AM

5,267 posts, read 4,185,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joosoon View Post
This is always understated in these conversations. Who is willing to uproot themselves from their entire social circle, abandoning everyone they associate with on a regular basis? It seems weird to me but I suppose it happens.
In today’s world it’s not really abandoning people you know though. I’m a Ca native who was more miserable living in Ca every year so I did a pro and con list and the cons won so after my dad passed I cashed out everything and moved to Az. I still talk and text with friends and family every day. I go back to Ca about once a month, friends visit me here, just last weekend me and friends stayed in a hotel in Scottsdale. I’m also making new friends here in Az. It’s really not that weird and happens every day.

I’m happy to be out of Ca and my life is better in every way.

Old 09-11-2020, 11:22 AM

6,675 posts, read 4,282,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joosoon View Post
I agree that it’s rare. I have a friend that wanted to marry his girlfriend. She hated California and moved back to the Midwest. He said there was no way he was leaving his family and network of friends. They ended up parting ways.

Old 09-11-2020, 12:02 PM

5,267 posts, read 4,185,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
I agree that it’s rare. I have a friend that wanted to marry his girlfriend. She hated California and moved back to the Midwest. He said there was no way he was leaving his family and network of friends. They ended up parting ways.
The cost to rent a uhaul out of Ca is 3x What it’s costs to bring it into Ca. Places like Phoenix, Boise, Austin Tenn have 10 Ca bidders for every house for sale there now. But since you know one guy that wouldn’t leave his friends for a future wife and life outside a Ca it’s rare?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California