Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2020, 09:41 AM

79 posts, read 35,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by semispherical View Post
Yes, CA does have a real problem with affordable housing. If we could fix that issue, which has multiple causes, it would certainly reduce the homeless population. I hope that by staying I can influence the state and local governments to change this state of affairs -- rather than moving somewhere else with a different set of problems, or reading some inflammatory website or other and then bitching about CA's perceived shortcomings on the CA threads.

So while you are congratulating yourself on your powers of perception (LA and SF have big homeless problems! Who knew?) and sniping smugly from afar, we "lowly sheep" are doing the best we can to fix things.

And since as you acknowledge "[h]omelessness is always going to be an issue" y'all get the win-win: you don't have to try to correct the problem, and you will always be able to claim CA isn't doing anything about it because "look: homelessness is still a problem."
The only qualms I have are with the people saying “other places have high homeless populations too!” or “it’s not that big a deal.” The more a foundational problem is accepted as normal, the less chance it has of being corrected.

My error is being too passionate about something that likely doesn’t have a simple solution (if any). I just hate that people are ignoring it, like it’s acceptable or something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2020, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
You continue to demonstrate your ignorance of the issue. (And that you don’t know the definition of hypocrite.) Your position is: “outta sight ... outta mind ... all’s acceptable.”

“Crying?” Roflmfao. Who’s ‘crying’ in this exchange? Me, or you? You’re the whiner. I’m the guy who has found housing and services for homeless for 30 years. Your contribution? ... besides throwing hissy-fits in on-line forums, of course (so productive!).

Unsheltered homelessness can and should be addressed. No question about it. You, however, have characterized the failure as “destroying the state”. It isn’t. Homelessness is readily avoided in California by pretty much anyone who wants to avoid it. It’s a shame so many do want to simply avoid it ... but easily done ... obviously, eh?

Lastly, while I don’t consider homelessness “normal” around the world, as you suggest, it is quite common across the globe, sadly. Just like ignorance and immaturity, as you demonstrate.
Damn shame. You boast about supposedly helping homeless populations and then in the same breath discuss the relative ease in which rampant homelessness can be avoided, simply by looking the other way. I’m shocked I tell ya. Shocked.

Are you a native Californian?

Old 09-20-2020, 09:48 AM

21,736 posts, read 16,350,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlundi86 View Post
The only qualms I have are with the people saying “other places have high homeless populations too!” or “it’s not that big a deal.” The more a foundational problem is accepted as normal, the less chance it has of being corrected.

My error is being too passionate about something that likely doesn’t have a simple solution (if any). I just hate that people are ignoring it, like it’s acceptable or something.
No one here has suggested homelessness is acceptable. Or that it isn’t a “big deal”. Nor are people responding to your rant “ignoring” homelessness. That’s all your fiction. Meanwhile, what are YOU doing besides ranting on a forum?

Your one guess, however, that there is no “simple solution” - is correct. Maybe if you had the interest and took the time to become well informed you might participate in what solutions are being engaged (such as supporting Housing First venues).

Old 09-20-2020, 09:52 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
It’s sad that you’re deflecting this much. Every state and nearly every major city has homeless. But the amount of homeless visibility in major California cities is disturbing.

Are you suggesting that the homeless issue in California cities are similar as the rest of the nation? You don’t think California’s homelessness is unique? You honestly think Phoenix’s homelessness is anywhere near LA’s or SF’s or even SD’s? That’s what’s sad, is that you’ve been conditioned to think this is all somehow normal. It’s not, at all. But keep your rose-colored glasses on as the world around you literally burns down. Californians have the worst case of denial about homelessness I’ve ever seen.
Please stop the pearl clutching. I live in California and the world around me is not literally burning down.

Quote:
Homeless Per Capita by State
1. DC
2. New York
3. Hawaii
4. California
5. Oregon
https://www.statista.com/statistics/...e-us-by-state/

Old 09-20-2020, 09:54 AM

Quote:
No one here has suggested homelessness is acceptable. Or that it isn’t a “big deal”. Nor are people responding to your rant “ignoring” homelessness. That’s all your fiction. Meanwhile, what are YOU doing besides ranting on a forum?

Your one guess, however, that there is no “simple solution” - is correct. Maybe if you had the interest and took the time to become well informed you might participate in what solutions are being engaged (such as supporting Housing First venues).
Voting! To get stupid people and their stupid policies out of office! Your homeless shelter volunteering (if true) is noble but ultimately, not far-reaching. I won’t get into a political debate but leaders absolutely have the capacity to enact real change and affect CA’s large cities for good. But the willfully-blind like CA4NOW (and probably you too) who try and point to other cities’ homeless populations as an excuse for California’s will continue voting the same shortsighted individuals and same policies that have annihilated LA and the Bay Area.

Old 09-20-2020, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Please stop the pearl clutching. I live in California and the world around me is not literally burning down.
Please read the thread. Homelessness is an issue, yes, but unsheltered homelessness is the real concern here. Living on the street is far worse than living in a shelter. California has by far the most people per capita living in the street.

Old 09-20-2020, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Damn shame. You boast about supposedly helping homeless populations and then in the same breath discuss the relative ease in which rampant homelessness can be avoided, simply by looking the other way. I’m shocked I tell ya. Shocked.

Are you a native Californian?
Lol again.

Pointing out that I have served the issue, as opposed to you simply babbling angrily and ignorantly about it, isn’t “boasting”, bub. It’s drawing a picture of the contradiction you present.

Nor have I “discussed” the ease of avoiding homelessness. I have, correctly, countered your central premise that homelessness is destroying the state and forces quality people to flee California. What you posted is complete bs.

What would being “a native Californian” have to do with anything we are discussing? Uncle Sam sent me to California in the mid-1960s, where I have lived and served both country and community in numerous locations from the Bay Area to San Joaquin Valley to San Diego. I’d venture to guess you weren’t even born halfway through my resident years. Which means nothing.

Old 09-20-2020, 09:59 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
Good question deserves an answer
in 6 weeks 2 things will happen
first the blue state Where I live will change color
That’s nice
But the really important thing
If you are from around here You won’t believe what happens in Chicago every November

Old 09-20-2020, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Please read the thread. Homelessness is an issue, yes, but unsheltered homelessness is the real concern here. Living on the street is far worse than living in a shelter. California has by far the most people per capita living in the street.
If the bolded above were true, many homeless who refuse to go to shelters would leave the streets. You know apparently zip about this, as I have been pointing out. Life in many of the shelters is dismal, unhealthy, and dangerous as hell. That said, in severe climates, it is necessary for survival ... whereas in much of California, there is no severe weather.

Old 09-20-2020, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Lol again.

Pointing out that I have served the issue, as opposed to you simply babbling angrily and ignorantly about it, isn’t “boasting”, bub. It’s drawing a picture of the contradiction you present.

Nor have I “discussed” the ease of avoiding homelessness. I have, correctly, countered your central premise that homelessness is destroying the state and forces quality people to flee California. What you posted is complete bs.

What would being “a native Californian” have to do with anything we are discussing? Uncle Sam sent me to California in the mid-1960s, where I have lived and served both country and community in numerous locations from the Bay Area to San Joaquin Valley to San Diego. I’d venture to guess you weren’t even born halfway through my resident years. Which means nothing.
I don’t care at all about your history or service, so you can stop with the ethical appeals.

You’re not a native, but a transplant, and that’s all I needed to know.

Thank you. Goodbye.

Blocked
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California