Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2020, 01:44 PM

79 posts, read 35,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
But somehow, they're not visible in AZ.

You mean you're sad that you can't get us to share your view? Sorry.
It’s sad that you’re deflecting this much. Every state and nearly every major city has homeless. But the amount of homeless visibility in major California cities is disturbing.

Are you suggesting that the homeless issue in California cities are similar as the rest of the nation? You don’t think California’s homelessness is unique? You honestly think Phoenix’s homelessness is anywhere near LA’s or SF’s or even SD’s? That’s what’s sad, is that you’ve been conditioned to think this is all somehow normal. It’s not, at all. But keep your rose-colored glasses on as the world around you literally burns down. Californians have the worst case of denial about homelessness I’ve ever seen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2020, 01:52 PM

26,731 posts, read 26,812,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlundi86 View Post
Are you suggesting that the homeless issue in California cities are similar as the rest of the nation? You don’t think California’s homelessness is unique?
No, we have no idea.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/los-...nt-thread.html

Old 09-19-2020, 02:21 PM

21,736 posts, read 16,350,818 times
Quote:
I’m immature because I’m saying something that hurts your feelings? Grow up.
No, you’re immature because you’re a whiner without any real grasp of what you whine about. I am in my 70’s. Retired military, Vietnam veteran, who has assisted homeless vets (and non-vets) in programs for over 30 years in several states and cities ... and who has lived in San Francisco, and now in San Diego’s district with the 2nd most homeless.
Quote:
LA, SF, and to a lesser degree, SD are the most important areas of California. When most people think of California, these are the immediate places that come to mind, fair or not. These cities are swarmed by homeless people in some of its most visible areas. It doesn’t matter that 95% of the rest of each city is pretty nice and free from homeless. The fact that the crisis has been allowed to occur, and without a discernible end in sight, is an absolute travesty and utter disservice to Californians brave enough to stay.
Most important areas? To whom? And those cities are not swarmed by homeless. Some of their most visible areas? Yep. And you can’t simply avoid those areas to protect your sensitivities?

Homelessness exists all across the nation. NYC is #1, LA #2, SEATTLE is #3, San Francisco is #6, PHOENIX is #9, WASHINGTON DC nearly equals Phoenix at #10 with half the population.

The fact the crisis has been allowed to occur is indeed an absolute travesty. But the only difference between the California travesty and the Phoenix, Seattle, Washington DC travesties (and all others out of state) is the “unsheltered” aspect of California’s problem. Much research over years has shown that, contrary to popular opinion, California’s weather and services do NOT attract homeless from out of state, however, it DOES allow the afflicted cities to fail in providing shelter. Which sucks.

By acknowledging that the problem exists everywhere, as you have, and targeting only the most visible, unsheltered locations for your vituperations, you infer that hiding the homeless somehow makes the problem acceptable elsewhere. “It’s a disservice to Californians” because it’s highly visible in various locations? Lmao.

Bubba, it’s a disservice to everyone everywhere all the time ... hidden or not.

Quote:
It’s sad that you’re deflecting this much. Every state and nearly every major city has homeless. But the amount of homeless visibility in major California cities is disturbing.

Are you suggesting that the homeless issue in California cities are similar as the rest of the nation? You don’t think California’s homelessness is unique? You honestly think Phoenix’s homelessness is anywhere near LA’s or SF’s or even SD’s? That’s what’s sad, is that you’ve been conditioned to think this is all somehow normal. It’s not, at all. But keep your rose-colored glasses on as the world around you literally burns down. Californians have the worst case of denial about homelessness I’ve ever seen.
I haven’t read anything from the poster you address to indicate she thinks homelessness is normal.

And as for a case of denial, you stand out for the points I raised just previously.

Old 09-19-2020, 10:04 PM

3,433 posts, read 3,753,374 times
Quote:

I see you come to the California forums to pee on these threads. Tell us where you live...you seem to know a lot about Florida...

Old 09-20-2020, 04:56 AM

6 posts, read 4,743 times
The reason I stay in California is that I dislike most other parts of the country I've been to. Everything I want is here. The pandemic has also relieved some of the congestion on the roadways. I'd consider Alexandria, VA where my brother has a law practice but very few other places. I like New York too because it's colorful and a little scary although stereotypical New Yorkers can no longer be found there. But I like Alexandria better because they have most of the things I want and I can afford it. That part of VA doesn't have too many hicks or crackers. But most of America is poor and crumbling. Just very depressing to see people live like that.

Old 09-20-2020, 08:06 AM

26,731 posts, read 26,812,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Romano View Post
I see you come to the California forums to pee on these threads. Tell us where you live...you seem to know a lot about Florida...
Yes; it looks like Orlando.

Old 09-20-2020, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
No, you’re immature because you’re a whiner without any real grasp of what you whine about. I am in my 70’s. Retired military, Vietnam veteran, who has assisted homeless vets (and non-vets) in programs for over 30 years in several states and cities ... and who has lived in San Francisco, and now in San Diego’s district with the 2nd most homeless.

Most important areas? To whom? And those cities are not swarmed by homeless. Some of their most visible areas? Yep. And you can’t simply avoid those areas to protect your sensitivities?

Homelessness exists all across the nation. NYC is #1, LA #2, SEATTLE is #3, San Francisco is #6, PHOENIX is #9, WASHINGTON DC nearly equals Phoenix at #10 with half the population.

The fact the crisis has been allowed to occur is indeed an absolute travesty. But the only difference between the California travesty and the Phoenix, Seattle, Washington DC travesties (and all others out of state) is the “unsheltered” aspect of California’s problem. Much research over years has shown that, contrary to popular opinion, California’s weather and services do NOT attract homeless from out of state, however, it DOES allow the afflicted cities to fail in providing shelter. Which sucks.

By acknowledging that the problem exists everywhere, as you have, and targeting only the most visible, unsheltered locations for your vituperations, you infer that hiding the homeless somehow makes the problem acceptable elsewhere. “It’s a disservice to Californians” because it’s highly visible in various locations? Lmao.

Bubba, it’s a disservice to everyone everywhere all the time ... hidden or not.

I haven’t read anything from the poster you address to indicate she thinks homelessness is normal.

And as for a case of denial, you stand out for the points I raised just previously.
SHELTERING the homeless makes it far more tolerable than watching them waste away in the streets in broad view of everyone. It’s embarrassing. And you know it. You’re a hypocrite. You’re really suggesting there is no difference between knowing abject homelessness exists and seeing it in your face all the time with your own eyes? You’re lying through your teeth and you just want to excuse it by crying, “Phoenix is #9, NYC is #1, blah blah.” Who cares? Homelessness is always going to be an issue. Unsheltered homeless can be treated though, and California is FAILING MISERABLY in this regard, far worse than any other state, in part because lowly sheep like you make excuses for it and act like it’s normal in developed nations. Unbelievably pathetic.

Old 09-20-2020, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Romano View Post
Pee on threads??? I LOVE California. I HATE what it’s become. It’s a freaking shame that so many people are EXCUSING all the terrible things that are going on there!!! People turn a blind eye to it and it will NEVER get better! I grew up in San Francisco. Today, it’s a shell of itself and getting worse each year. It’s so sad but people don’t care. They just avoid Civic Center, Tenderloin and Mission but now it’s affecting Bay view and Union Square and spreading but no one seems to give a DAMN smfh

Old 09-20-2020, 09:32 AM

1,334 posts, read 1,674,715 times
Quote:
SHELTERING the homeless makes it far more tolerable than watching them waste away in the streets in broad view of everyone. It’s embarrassing. And you know it. You’re a hypocrite. You’re really suggesting there is no difference between knowing abject homelessness exists and seeing it in your face all the time with your own eyes? You’re lying through your teeth and you just want to excuse it by crying, “Phoenix is #9, NYC is #1, blah blah.” Who cares? Homelessness is always going to be an issue. Unsheltered homeless can be treated though, and California is FAILING MISERABLY in this regard, far worse than any other state, in part because lowly sheep like you make excuses for it and act like it’s normal in developed nations. Unbelievably pathetic.
Yes, CA does have a real problem with affordable housing. If we could fix that issue, which has multiple causes, it would certainly reduce the homeless population. I hope that by staying I can influence the state and local governments to change this state of affairs -- rather than moving somewhere else with a different set of problems, or reading some inflammatory website or other and then bitching about CA's perceived shortcomings on the CA threads.

So while you are congratulating yourself on your powers of perception (LA and SF have big homeless problems! Who knew?) and sniping smugly from afar, we "lowly sheep" are doing the best we can to fix things.

And since as you acknowledge "[h]omelessness is always going to be an issue" y'all get the win-win: you don't have to try to correct the problem, and you will always be able to claim CA isn't doing anything about it because "look: homelessness is still a problem."

Old 09-20-2020, 09:36 AM

21,736 posts, read 16,350,818 times
Quote:
You continue to demonstrate your ignorance of the issue. (And that you don’t know the definition of hypocrite.) Your position is: “outta sight ... outta mind ... all’s acceptable.”

“Crying?” Roflmfao. Who’s ‘crying’ in this exchange? Me, or you? You’re the whiner. I’m the guy who has found housing and services for homeless for 30 years. Your contribution? ... besides throwing hissy-fits in on-line forums, of course (so productive!).

Unsheltered homelessness can and should be addressed. No question about it. You, however, have characterized the failure as “destroying the state”. It isn’t. Homelessness is readily avoided in California by pretty much anyone who wants to avoid it. It’s a shame so many do want to simply avoid it ... but easily done ... obviously, eh?

Lastly, while I don’t consider homelessness “normal” around the world, as you suggest, it is quite common across the globe, sadly. Just like ignorance and immaturity, as you demonstrate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California