Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2020, 11:49 PM

1,726 posts, read 1,723,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGS91762 View Post
Ever been to Phoenix? Swaths are very present there.
Phoenix is a clean, orderly city, as cities in highly industrialized nations should be. Oftentimes, people who have never lived or spent a considerable amount of time in Arizona incorrectly assume that the most prominent issue in Phoenix is the intense summertime heat. I agree the heat in Phoenix is severe, but it is not the biggest problem facing the city. Instead, the biggest problem in Phoenix is general dearth of well-paying corporate employment opportunities, which creates diminishing marginal returns as it relates to real estate prices, social capital and educational attainment levels among children and youth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2020, 09:22 AM

2 posts, read 551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizensadvocate View Post
If we are doing so well, why are we still remain locked down why other states have mostly reopened with little issue. We are far from business as usual. And some states/cities are just as crowded in terms of population, never had such dracon restrictions yet they are doing much better in terms of returning to normal.
There are a number countries that never truely locked down but they do pretty well today. Of all type of culture variances as well as population density. Not only Sweden, but Iceland, Nicaragua, Japan, Korea, Taiwan, Hong Kong, etc. So had the states that never shut down. Apparently the worst hit states happen to be ones with the toughest shutdown policies. And these places around the world that had shut down are reinstating dracon policies again and again this summer so its not by like business as usual at all.

https://www.aier.org/article/experie...wns-dont-work/
Are you really logically trying to say that shutdowns are causing people to get covid and die? - "Apparently the worst-hit states happen to be ones with the toughest shutdown policies"

Again, because we still have shutdown measures, we are doing better than the average state in the US and that is why we still have restrictions, to maintain better and avoid another outbreak, it's pretty simple really.

Sweden has 579 deaths per million, it's neighbor Norway have 49, Finland 61, Denmark 109 so it's neighbors who did shutdown have between 1/10 to 1/6th of the deaths.

S.Korea had enough testing earlier on and they quickly implemented contact tracing and tactical shutdown and mandated isolation, none of which we had or done.

So no, apparently doing nothing like Sweden caused thousands of people their lives, and probably tens of thousands of Americans their lives.

Old 09-15-2020, 04:33 PM

172 posts, read 362,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
In today’s world it’s not really abandoning people you know though. I’m a Ca native who was more miserable living in Ca every year so I did a pro and con list and the cons won so after my dad passed I cashed out everything and moved to Az. I still talk and text with friends and family every day. I go back to Ca about once a month, friends visit me here, just last weekend me and friends stayed in a hotel in Scottsdale. I’m also making new friends here in Az. It’s really not that weird and happens every day.

I’m happy to be out of Ca and my life is better in every way.
Good on you. Traveling extensively out of state since I work remotely, we're set on getting out of this poop hole. We're not Arizona bound, but it's a step up from California.

The lack of homeless and filth I've experienced out of state has been a breath of fresh air (pun). The amount of families and thriving Middle Class once you leave this dystopia is so apparent, it makes it painful to go back to the third world. Hell, for all the ignorant talk about Texans in the California forum, Fort Worth puts LA to shame in not only mixed couples I've seen, but the cleanliness and friendliness.

Not to mention most states have been open, despite the lies on this forum. California is the land of the rich white liberal elite, and their servant class. Salaries here can't even keep up with the rest of the country anymore. Also not paying over $3 for gas is a bonus; poor CA can't steal enough of people's money.

Old 09-15-2020, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGS91762 View Post
Ever been to Phoenix? Swaths are very present there.
I've been several times and that is a lie. Coming from LA, I hardly noticed homeless. Take a drive around our RV and tent city and you'll have a different idea of what "swaths" is. You don't see block after block of RVs in Phoenix, that's for sure. I love your exaggeration to justify the filth and disgust in CA, which is unparalleled anywhere.

Even the slums of Panama were more tolerable at this point. At least there, the military had a presence.

Old 09-15-2020, 05:39 PM

46,967 posts, read 26,011,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
By the way, bidding wars for homes happen in California too.
Heh. We were asked to put in a hand-written letter outlining how much we loved the house and how good we'd be to it.

And man, there are some people in this thread cranking the justification for leaving up to 11. Overcompensation, fellas! It's a thing.

Old 09-15-2020, 05:43 PM

5,267 posts, read 4,185,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpingRoo View Post
Good on you. Traveling extensively out of state since I work remotely, we're set on getting out of this poop hole. We're not Arizona bound, but it's a step up from California.

The lack of homeless and filth I've experienced out of state has been a breath of fresh air (pun). The amount of families and thriving Middle Class once you leave this dystopia is so apparent, it makes it painful to go back to the third world. Hell, for all the ignorant talk about Texans in the California forum, Fort Worth puts LA to shame in not only mixed couples I've seen, but the cleanliness and friendliness.

Not to mention most states have been open, despite the lies on this forum. California is the land of the rich white liberal elite, and their servant class. Salaries here can't even keep up with the rest of the country anymore. Also not paying over $3 for gas is a bonus; poor CA can't steal enough of people's money.
Ca is a failing poop hole state and keeps getting worse. I’m renting in Az and taking my time to travel to different states to see which one I want to settle down in. So far Idaho is the winner for me. I’m actually enjoying experiencing seasons for the first time but Az summers are no joke. I can see why you like Texas It’s a friendly economically healthy state. Good luck wherever you end up.

Old 09-15-2020, 05:47 PM

5,267 posts, read 4,185,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpingRoo View Post
I've been several times and that is a lie. Coming from LA, I hardly noticed homeless. Take a drive around our RV and tent city and you'll have a different idea of what "swaths" is. You don't see block after block of RVs in Phoenix, that's for sure. I love your exaggeration to justify the filth and disgust in CA, which is unparalleled anywhere.

Even the slums of Panama were more tolerable at this point. At least there, the military had a presence.
It’s really strange and fascinating to see what Ca locals really seem to believe about other states.

Old 09-15-2020, 06:02 PM

21,741 posts, read 16,365,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post

... And man, there are some people in this thread cranking the justification for leaving up to 11...
The more leave the better ... and especially the whiners ... bon voyage

Old 09-15-2020, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
Ca is a failing poop hole state and keeps getting worse. I’m renting in Az and taking my time to travel to different states to see which one I want to settle down in. So far Idaho is the winner for me. I’m actually enjoying experiencing seasons for the first time but Az summers are no joke. I can see why you like Texas It’s a friendly economically healthy state. Good luck wherever you end up.
Thank you, Idaho is beautiful. I drove LA to Yellowstone 7 times in my life, and Idaho is always a hidden gem. Saw my first moose in Idaho on my way to West Yellowstone.

Fort Worth is catching our eye, as are a few other places. We were there in the peak of summer and despite the heat, it sure beat growing up in LA with crappy insulation and no A/C in the summer; now that is miserable. You hardly notice it as the city is AMAZING. Walking in Downtown you feel a sense of pride the people have for their place; you can eat off the side walk it's so clean. Compare that to the entertainment capitol of the world. The amount of families out was wonderful, as was the zoo. Water parks are open too so it was a blast to take the little one in the peak of the heat.

But our experience was repeated in many cities and states we visited. Have you been to Knoxville, Tennessee? That is one incredible place with amazing people. That's another thing you realize, once you get back to LA you realize how miserable people here are and their facial expressions reflect it.

Old 09-15-2020, 06:48 PM

6,675 posts, read 4,281,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Heh. We were asked to put in a hand-written letter outlining how much we loved the house and how good we'd be to it.

And man, there are some people in this thread cranking the justification for leaving up to 11. Overcompensation, fellas! It's a thing.
We had friends that had to do the same thing. They wrote a beautiful letter about how they just got married and could picture raising the children in the house, how their children would be so happy, etc.

They can’t stand children and have no intention of ever having any. They didn’t get the house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California