Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2020, 01:24 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,980,279 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by apple92680 View Post
In my ideal world, I'd have the wealthier Red states like Texas, Florida and Georgia support the poorer ones like Mississippi, Oklahoma and Louisiana.

Let them support each other and get a taste of what it's like.

I'd let Blue state money stay with Blue states.
Yeah but it's nowhere near as lopsided as you're making it out to be, and the less federally dependent state is a red one - https://wallethub.com/edu/states-mos...vernment/2700/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2020, 01:26 PM

53 posts, read 45,750 times
I’m so glad I left California. It’s hilarious to see the posters on this forum and other places online continue to defend the draconian quarantine policies that have crippled the local economy in CA. Posting from their WFH jobs or retirement while sitting in their $1.2m home that’s appreciated 500% since they purchased.

Old 09-10-2020, 02:39 PM

21,741 posts, read 16,365,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBPACKERS1200 View Post
I’m so glad I left California. It’s hilarious to see the posters on this forum and other places online continue to defend the draconian quarantine policies that have crippled the local economy in CA. Posting from their WFH jobs or retirement while sitting in their $1.2m home that’s appreciated 500% since they purchased.
Yeah. We who remain are glad you left too

Old 09-10-2020, 03:14 PM

6,675 posts, read 4,281,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
I’m trying to figure out how working from home in a $1.2 million dollar house that has appreciated 500% is a bad thing.

Old 09-10-2020, 03:21 PM

5,267 posts, read 4,185,431 times
Quote:
Why are you saying “we”? . You haven’t lived in Ca for months or years.

Old 09-10-2020, 03:51 PM

53 posts, read 45,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
I’m trying to figure out how working from home in a $1.2 million dollar house that has appreciated 500% is a bad thing.

My point was that the people in CA who supported and continue to support absurd lockdown policies are insulated from any negative economic impact due to their privileged position in society. You people are so disconnected from the reality that the average middle class person or recent immigrant to CA is facing.

Old 09-10-2020, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
Why are you saying “we”? . You haven’t lived in Ca for months or years.
Yes, I’ve been gone since March 10th, to be exact. But my marina slips stayed behind and wait for my return. As they do every year when I leave for the summer. Not much new about me vacationing up in the islands.

Old 09-10-2020, 05:15 PM

2,209 posts, read 1,785,923 times
Quote:
Yes, I’ve been gone since March 10th, to be exact. But my marina slips stayed behind and wait for my return. As they do every year when I leave for the summer. Not much new about me vacationing up in the islands.
Imagine if a million CA residents decided to buy boats, including veterans, and live in the marinas that you use, since it would be cheaper than buying a house.

A friend of mine did in Long Beach.

Old 09-10-2020, 05:28 PM

29 posts, read 28,650 times
I'll try to sum up some of my own personal pros and cons having lived here in SoCal since I was born (am now in my mid 30s)

Pros, to echo what others have said here
• Strong job market (so far haven't been out of work longer than ~3-4 months at any time)
• High appreciation rate of home ownership (if you can own at least a condo, you'll benefit more than other states on appreciation)
• Family and friends all here
• Lots of things to do outside the house (pre-covid)... theme parks, food festivals, low humidity, mild climate most of the year

Cons
• Egregious homelessness, but I also see it pretty bad in Portland, Honolulu, and other places not just in CA
• To be more specific when we talk about cost of living, housing particularly is totally bonkers. Supply & demand yadda yadda, I get it. It's a con nonetheless for young families of any economic bracket who want to raise a family here if they didn't buy during specific economic windows of time. Conflict of interest between homeowners who want to keep equity up and renters who want to enter the market.
• Air quality in LA basin often isn't the best especially during wildfire seasons, which is now happening constantly
• High taxes on a lot of things that gets a little nuts at times compared to other states
• Too much traffic and too many people - this is pretty much not up for debate, everyone agrees

--

I know quality of schools seems to come up a lot as a con, but in my area we actually have good schools, but that does contribute to even higher housing costs as more people want to find these good school districts and live in them.

California is so divisive because how much you succeed in living here varies so greatly on individual circumstance. Of course someone who got a great deal on their home and either paid it off by now or pays a reasonable mortgage is going to love it here vs. the family who is still renting and can't pay top of the market prices. So there isn't going to be agreement on this in any uniform manner.

I do own here but got in the market ~2015 when prices were still reasonably lower than today. I sympathize completely with the crushing pressure on any kind of middle class with today's prices on homes. But if you can't make it, you're better off leaving here anyway - there's more people than the state can accommodate right now.

Old 09-10-2020, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer46 View Post
Imagine if a million CA residents decided to buy boats, including veterans, and live in the marinas that you use, since it would be cheaper than buying a house.

A friend of mine did in Long Beach.
Not a problem ... would never happen ... 99.9% of the population couldn’t ever handle the simplistic, minimalism required to live on a boat (Russian oligarch yachts excluded from generalization).

But that’s not the only way to get by, saving the interest on a mortgage while accumulating enough dough to pay cash price only if one chooses to buy a home. ... Then again, 99% of people aren’t willing to live simple enough to save by any method ... *shrug*. I couldn’t care less. Not advising. Just commenting: real estate isn’t the only way, nor the best or fastest, or easiest way to develop a good net worth nut.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California