Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2020, 03:15 AM

33,322 posts, read 12,505,496 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
How about Big Spring, TX? "Butt-ugly" comes to mind but the people there are fine.
Sulfur, Louisiana? ...... Now, THAT place is ugly! It was ugly BEFORE the hurricane... but I sure had a good time there.
And before everyone gets all fired up about Texas, they need to take a look at Pasadena, TX. Bakersfield would be a welcome relief.
My choice, if family and finances permitted, would be right down town Charleston, SC.
But I had fun when I lived in San Francisco. Must have had fun in San Diego, too. My daughter was born there.

****! The whole dang world is wonderful; I want it ALL!
There is no reason to live in 'Stinkadena' specifically unless you have to for family reasons or you work there and don't drive (my house is in the same metro in The Woodlands, which was mentioned in the post directly before yours).

I'd bet the overall air quality is better in Pasadena than in Bakersfield, and I've spent a fair amount of time in Bakersfield.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2020, 03:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
How about Big Spring, TX? "Butt-ugly" comes to mind but the people there are fine.
Sulfur, Louisiana? ...... Now, THAT place is ugly! It was ugly BEFORE the hurricane... but I sure had a good time there.
And before everyone gets all fired up about Texas, they need to take a look at Pasadena, TX. Bakersfield would be a welcome relief.
My choice, if family and finances permitted, would be right down town Charleston, SC.
But I had fun when I lived in San Francisco. Must have had fun in San Diego, too. My daughter was born there.

****! The whole dang world is wonderful; I want it ALL!
There is a house is downtown Charleston that has a small plaque that commemorates that ten generations (as of now..or at least as of a couple of years ago) of the same family have lived in that house continuously/with no lapse..

Old 09-01-2020, 04:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
Honestly, I think places like TX and FL only have small areas that are desirable anyway. In TX, Austin is a very desirable city and many of the suburbs in the DFW area are desirable. Perhaps you can throw in a few suburban areas in Houston, some of the hill country and beach towns. THAT'S IT. Ever driven through west Texas (e.g., Midland/Odessa)? That's about as bleak of a place as I've ever been through. It makes places like Bakersfield and Barstow look scenic.

In FL, many of the beach cities are nice. However, you don't have to travel too far inland to feel like you're living the real life Deliverance.

Honestly, there's no state where every place is nice, including CA. However, there are many states with far fewer nice places than CA.
I agree with you re Midland/Odessa. I've driven all over the U.S. (lower 48) for pleasure, and I-20 from where it splits from I-10 to some point west of Abeline (and that stretch includes Midland and Odessa) is probably the ugliest stretch of road I've driven on in the U.S.

On the positive side, I'd also add some of the areas in the hills above N Mesa St in El Paso. That area backs up to the Franklin Mountains State Park, has great views, and the Coronado Country Club is nearby.....

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...27410921_zpid/

Parts of Tyler (in East Texas) are also pretty, and there are some nice places on nearby lakes.

Old 09-01-2020, 04:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenchili View Post
Back East....oh lorty,,,buh bye...
Yeah, I don't get that.

Bernie's 'stomping grounds' (Burlington, VT and environs) are pretty and on a lake, and it is accessible to mountains for skiing (if you can get someone else to drive ), but why put up with the taxes ?

I'd rather live in Jackson Hole, WY (full no state income tax), or specific zip codes in the Las Vegas metro (Mt. Charleston is nearby, Brian Head is not too far away in UT, and also no state income tax in Nevada).

You can always visit NYC, Boston, Cape Cod, parts of coastal Rhode Island, etc.

Old 09-01-2020, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
He seems nice
LOL.

Old 09-01-2020, 08:46 AM

3,416 posts, read 2,454,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Uncommon_ View Post
Can we not act like the fires of California are not just as bad as snow or hurricanes?
The big difference is it’s easy to avoid wildfires. The overwhelming majority of houses in this state have zero chance of being burnt down by a wildfire. If you want to live in the foothills, canyons, or the mountains you run the risk (some greater than others). You don’t have the luxury of avoiding snow by moving to another part of Northeast, or hurricanes by moving to a different spot on the coast in the Gulf/SE

I’m not trying to downplay the severity of wildfires. We have a house in the mountains that is always at risk in the summer. You can see the remnants of houses that burned in 2007 at the end of my street by the old parking slabs on lots people chose not to rebuild on that line the National Forest. With that said, I still don’t worry about it as my cabin, and all those around me, haven’t been touched since they were built in the 1930’s-1960’s. My house in San Diego on the other hand will never be at risk.

Old 09-01-2020, 08:49 AM

130,122 posts, read 12,082,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by potanta View Post
I recently moved here from New Jersey and I am currently living in my mom's childhood home (my grandparents' house) here in the Bay Area. The only reason why I am here is because I am trying to build experience on my resume (and save money) so I can eventually move to Oregon within a year. My cousin lived in the Bay Area her whole life and she said California changed so much even though we are just young. She wants to move to Oregon so badly. The only reason why she is still here is because she is still building experience on her resume.

I definitely have no desire to live here for my entire life. I like my family here, but this state is failing and this state sucks in terms of natural disasters, ghetto people, road rage, overpopulation, you name it. When my mom lived in this house, California was an excellent place to live in the 80s. She would never come back to live here, because New Jersey is more "suburban" and offers a better quality of life.

What an ingrate. You are saving money here in CA, & also helping your resume, yet you still find time to moan. Move on already!! I would never move to NJ ughh

Old 09-01-2020, 08:57 AM

8,323 posts, read 5,484,706 times
Im a native Californian. Lived there for 24 of my 37 years. In 2010, I left.

It wasnt because of politics since were pretty liberal. I simply could not afford the life I wanted there. We had a budget of $400k at the time (though that would have been higher now) and we were looking at places like Ontario. At that point, we decided the advantages of remaining in Southern California were no longer worth it. We decided to leave. We decided on Texas simply because we felt the cities would offer the most for the money (diversity, restaurants, cultural institutions, etc). We knew we were saying goodbye to pleasant weather and since we hate the cold, a place like Chicago was out. We also knew that there wouldnt be the plethora of outdoor activities available to us, but again we knew that going in.

I dont think I could see myself moving back to California. Again, I dont view it as a failed state and I love my home state very much. Texas is as "ghetto" as California so I thats not a reason either. I just have become used to the life style here. It would be hard to give that up.

Old 09-01-2020, 09:02 AM

3,416 posts, read 2,454,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by potanta View Post
Every urban area in NJ is ghetto and way less modern than what you get in CA in terms of road safety and road width. The thing is California has no suburbs and every "outskirt" is ghetto. CA is dangerous in its entirety, because even if you live in a rural area, those areas will get destroyed by wildfires eventually. If I wanted to live with my parents again, I'd go back to NJ in a heartbeat temporarily.
What in God’s name are you talking about? You seriously need to get out of your grandparent’s house, and the tiny bubble you’re in, more often.

Old 09-01-2020, 09:13 AM

21,728 posts, read 16,334,063 times
Heh. How times have changed. A youngster can now “build their resume“ in a few months so they can move on. Hmmmm. Build a resume in a few months work. My my my. A few months ... I am never going to be able to grasp this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California