Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2020, 11:26 AM

3,433 posts, read 3,750,850 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vocal Banned View Post
https://www.yahoo.com/news/californi...090014408.html

The article, just one of hundreds that have appeared in recent years that use some version of the term “fail,” accuses California of failing at the homelessness crisis (by far, the worst in the nation), polarizing politics, a historically bad pandemic response, sky-high housing costs, and an energy debacle. I lived in San Francisco decades ago and began to see the ugly truth long before most wanted to admit it and hightailed it east. Missing the weather, I moved back to San Diego in 1996, spending 2 years there before fleeing again, this time for good. The weather wasn’t worth what the state had become. I have not looked back.

So why are you still in California despite all the failures? And are you planning an escape to Arizona, Nevada, Washington, Colorado, Oregon, or Idaho?
Authored by a failed troller in of all places, NYC...

All the negatives you see in CA are in New York too. So I suggest you look in the mirror.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2020, 11:28 AM

4,321 posts, read 6,281,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Uncommon_ View Post
Can we not act like the fires of California are not just as bad as snow or hurricanes?
I agree with this. This is impacting our lifestyle here much more severely vs earthquakes. In my 40 plus years (most of which have been spent in CA), I've been inconvenienced once during an earthquake (Loma Prieta in '89). We had minor damage around our house along with 2 days without power and schools closed. Also, many buildings had to be retrofitted in the area, but the damage was somewhat localized and infrequent.

Regarding the fires, my home isn't in immediate danger, but we always have to keep an eye out for overall risk. The smoke is the bigger issue and its becoming an annual occurrence. Still, other places have major issues. There is no utopia. California still has a lot to offer and that's why I've stayed as long as I have.

Old 08-31-2020, 11:46 AM

1,999 posts, read 4,874,151 times
LOL...A failed State??? Tell me which State has zero problems

I remember a few years ago their was an article that was calling California(The Next Greece) economically speaking,and yet California proved that article wrong.

Yes,California has it's issues and so does every other state,and for the record "Arizona is not the promised land for everyone"

The reason I remain in California is because of my Family and Friends,but also because I love the Diversity,Scenery,Opportunities,Attractions,Weathe r and our wonderful cities/towns throughout this Great State

We are also a State of Innovation...Their are many things in practically every household in this country and around the world that has a California connection,and we also have many wonderful top medical facilities and universities as well.

California may not be perfect,but it's home to many of us,and many of us are happy remaining here

Old 08-31-2020, 02:55 PM

3,068 posts, read 1,742,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vocal Banned View Post
https://www.yahoo.com/news/californi...090014408.html

The article, just one of hundreds that have appeared in recent years that use some version of the term “fail,” accuses California of failing at the homelessness crisis (by far, the worst in the nation), polarizing politics, a historically bad pandemic response, sky-high housing costs, and an energy debacle. I lived in San Francisco decades ago and began to see the ugly truth long before most wanted to admit it and hightailed it east. Missing the weather, I moved back to San Diego in 1996, spending 2 years there before fleeing again, this time for good. The weather wasn’t worth what the state had become. I have not looked back.

So why are you still in California despite all the failures? And are you planning an escape to Arizona, Nevada, Washington, Colorado, Oregon, or Idaho?
I have left, come back, left again, and come back again. I think this time will stick. For one, my wife and I have family and friends here. This is our home, despite all the stuff you mentioned (that is accurate BTW). So I put up with it knowing about all of that. I wanted to get out because I always thought there'd be a tipping point, California would implode and collapse in on itself. But seeing so many other places that are even more expensive (New York) and even more liberal (Seattle, Portland) I feel like there will be demand for California. People like me who have lived here their whole lives may get tired of things, but there will always be a horde of new people that move here and try to make it. Plus, the rich people that are taxed to the hilt seem to stay regardless (for now). So even though everything you said is true, I feel like California will continue to be in high demand and is a decent place to own a home.

Old 08-31-2020, 02:56 PM

10,347 posts, read 8,564,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Where, in the East? Northeast? Please let us know how you like it after you get settled in, especially after the first winter, or the first hurricane, if you're south of the snow line.
I think he is looking at southeast maybe.
I've been here for 5 years now.
No issues with horrid winters and snow or hurricanes. I've seen 5 days of snow, it was pretty exciting. The last time it snowed it was all gone the next day.

Old 08-31-2020, 03:16 PM

73 posts, read 42,878 times
Quote:
Can we not act like the fires of California are not just as bad as snow or hurricanes?
I guess that's because there are too many houses which are practically immune to wildfires. I mean, wildfire could destroy the houses in Malibu, Topanga, Bel Air, Beverly Glen, etc and I could also imagine a wildfire eating up houses in Pacific Palisades, Rolling Hills, etc. But I doubt any wildfire could burn most houses in Marina Del Rey, Costa Mesa, Cerritos, etc. Not many houses can say the same for hurricanes, once they're in the zone.

Old 09-01-2020, 12:53 AM

1,842 posts, read 1,491,135 times
I recently moved here from New Jersey and I am currently living in my mom's childhood home (my grandparents' house) here in the Bay Area. The only reason why I am here is because I am trying to build experience on my resume (and save money) so I can eventually move to Oregon within a year. My cousin lived in the Bay Area her whole life and she said California changed so much even though we are just young. She wants to move to Oregon so badly. The only reason why she is still here is because she is still building experience on her resume.

I definitely have no desire to live here for my entire life. I like my family here, but this state is failing and this state sucks in terms of natural disasters, ghetto people, road rage, overpopulation, you name it. When my mom lived in this house, California was an excellent place to live in the 80s. She would never come back to live here, because New Jersey is more "suburban" and offers a better quality of life.

Old 09-01-2020, 01:04 AM

426 posts, read 353,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by potanta View Post
I recently moved here from New Jersey and I am currently living in my mom's childhood home (my grandparents' house) here in the Bay Area. The only reason why I am here is because I am trying to build experience on my resume (and save money) so I can eventually move to Oregon within a year. My cousin lived in the Bay Area her whole life and she said California changed so much even though we are just young. She wants to move to Oregon so badly. The only reason why she is still here is because she is still building experience on her resume.

I definitely have no desire to live here for my entire life. I like my family here, but this state is failing and this state sucks in terms of natural disasters, ghetto people, road rage, overpopulation, you name it. When my mom lived in this house, California was an excellent place to live in the 80s. She would never come back to live here, because New Jersey is more "suburban" and offers a better quality of life.
ROFL. The urban areas in Jersey compared to CA? Jokes or what.

Old 09-01-2020, 01:22 AM

1,842 posts, read 1,491,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amokk View Post
ROFL. The urban areas in Jersey compared to CA? Jokes or what.
Every urban area in NJ is ghetto and way less modern than what you get in CA in terms of road safety and road width. The thing is California has no suburbs and every "outskirt" is ghetto. CA is dangerous in its entirety, because even if you live in a rural area, those areas will get destroyed by wildfires eventually. If I wanted to live with my parents again, I'd go back to NJ in a heartbeat temporarily.

Old 09-01-2020, 03:01 AM

33,321 posts, read 12,516,741 times
Quote:
I disagree. Yes there are good places to live everywhere but not necessarily for every person. For example, there are places that offer a superb lifestyle to all kinds of people, no matter the race, creed, religion, or gender. Other places might be great for one group of people, but if “variety“ is introduced in such a place, extreme hostility occurs toward that person or group. The beauty of CA, FL, and TX as states is that all kinds of people have multiple opportunities to experience a high quality of life. Whereas in somewhere such as West Virginia, a Black gay man for example might not experience the same joys in a random city as a straight white male. That was a crude example and I hate to go racial or even political but hopefully what I’m trying to convey makes sense.
Yeah, what you're saying makes sense...when looking at states as a whole. There are specific parts of other states though that have a lot to offer.

(I'm a California native who has lived in Texas for over a decade. I've spent quite a bit of time in a number of different places in Florida, and I've spent time in all of the 'lower 48' states)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California