Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2020, 09:27 PM

6,329 posts, read 3,619,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
I assume owners were able to at least drive the vehicle with the system down? If so, doesn't seem like a big deal. If not, seems like a major design flaw.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2020, 09:28 PM

4,169 posts, read 2,144,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
I assume owners were able to at least drive the vehicle with the system down? If so, doesn't seem like a big deal. If not, seems like a major design flaw.

Yes it's not needed for driving .

Old 09-23-2020, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by looker009 View Post
Yes i can see 25% but for sure we will not see 100% new cars being non gas vehicle. It's not realistic dream.
I could see the growth being exponential. Might take us 10 years to go from 6% to 25%. But then only 5 years to go from 25% to 50%. So in 2035 you might have a mix of half the cars on the road being EV's and half being ICE. And I guess 100% new sales being EV's.

Still not sure how they would regulate new ICE vehicles being bought out of state though.

Old 09-23-2020, 09:40 PM

Quote:
I could see the growth being exponential. Might take us 10 years to go from 6% to 25%. But then only 5 years to go from 25% to 50%. So in 2035 you might have a mix of half the cars on the road being EV's and half being ICE. And I guess 100% new sales being EV's.

Still not sure how they would regulate new ICE vehicles being bought out of state though.

Regulating new vehicle being bought out of state might be easy, they can declare that no vehicle that been produced after 2035 can be registered in the state.

Regarding going from 25-20% etc i am not seeing that happening. The biggest issue is infrastructure, how do you get people to charge their vehicles that do not live in condo/SFH etc. The charging would also need to be much, much faster. Now i believe it takes Tesla at Super Charge around 35-40 in to get to 80% charge, that is way too long. It needs to be done at 5-10 min max. As it's California have issue with electricity during peak times like when it's heatwave going on, imagine heatwave plus all of the electrical vehicle charging at the same time.

It might be a nice goal, but it's really just that a goal which is nothing but political.

Old 09-23-2020, 09:40 PM

8,181 posts, read 2,794,636 times
Quote:
Short answer - they can't. The end. The State of California literally has no jurisdiction over a transaction that happens entirely out of state.

I personally have zero faith in Newsom's ability to get necessary power production and distribution infrastructure provisioned....he couldn't even get poop cleaned up off the streets of San Francisco.

Old 09-23-2020, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albert648 View Post
Short answer - they can't. The end. The State of California literally has no jurisdiction over a transaction that happens entirely out of state.

Automakers like to have one standard. If enough states adapt California standard, there will be a push toward electric vehicle but consumer will make the final decision.

Old 09-23-2020, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albert648 View Post

I personally have zero faith in Newsom's ability to get necessary power production and distribution infrastructure provisioned....he couldn't even get poop cleaned up off the streets of San Francisco.
But what about car registration? Can't they put whatever fees they feel are necessary on there? I could definitely see them tacking on a $500-$1000 per year ICE vehicle fee for any ICE vehicle 2035 or newer.

Old 09-23-2020, 09:54 PM

798 posts, read 503,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looker009 View Post
Regulating new vehicle being bought out of state might be easy, they can declare that no vehicle that been produced after 2035 can be registered in the state.

Regarding going from 25-20% etc i am not seeing that happening. The biggest issue is infrastructure, how do you get people to charge their vehicles that do not live in condo/SFH etc. The charging would also need to be much, much faster. Now i believe it takes Tesla at Super Charge around 35-40 in to get to 80% charge, that is way too long. It needs to be done at 5-10 min max. As it's California have issue with electricity during peak times like when it's heatwave going on, imagine heatwave plus all of the electrical vehicle charging at the same time.

It might be a nice goal, but it's really just that a goal which is nothing but political.
Well said. It is just a plan/goal for 15 years from now. He will not be in charge anymore.

Old 09-23-2020, 10:10 PM

1,570 posts, read 1,380,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 That’s it. I’m leaving California. I’ll come back to this forum in 2035 to mock all of you that stayed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
And where would this utopia you're seeking be?
Quote:
1AngryTaxPayer=Same place I'm heading with my pension. North of Austin in the hill country. I'll probably go to the beach more if I come back on vacation. I've been here 38 years and time for a change. We already have family and friends there.
Looks good to me.

Images for utopia texas

Old 09-23-2020, 10:53 PM

6,675 posts, read 4,280,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janellen View Post
Looks good to me.

Images for utopia texas

Hmmm. So Utopia DOES exist and it’s in Texas!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California