Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2022, 03:51 PM

21,724 posts, read 16,327,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
How many car owners actually ever end up replacing those? I've never replaced either and not sure if I know anyone who has. I had a clutch replaced once for like $500.
Well, I just replaced a diesel engine of mine at 596,000 miles (with another used diesel that had only 217,000 on it). I replaced the tranny about 75,000 miles before the engine. I understand that many folks do not. But quite a few more than you think, do. I also just did a valve job last year on one son’s Honda. Did an engine and tranny both a couple years apart on my late wife’s Toyota van, too. That’s not really uncommon …

You know why there are so many transmission shops, right?
And crate engine sales by the 10s of thousands every year across the nation?

In any case, there are LOTS of ICE repairs of all kinds more than you’ll see electric motor replacements.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2022, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
How many car owners actually ever end up replacing those? I've never replaced either and not sure if I know anyone who has. I had a clutch replaced once for like $500.
Come to think of it, a very close friend just bought a Prius used at a great price because the battery was failing. Replacement was a only few thousand. Great little car, he just crossed the country in it from Florida.

Old 09-04-2022, 05:35 PM

426 posts, read 177,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Quiet.
Not stinky.
No pollution.
Cleaner in every respect everywhere inside and out.
Super torque at all times (which makes for excellent handling as well as traction).
Fast, if you like rapid acceleration (entering highways, for example).

And then the low repair frequency and costs … and no, the eventual expensive battery replacements aren’t any worse than replacing engines, transmissions …

“Higher up front costs” offset fuel,savings? Not over the long run they don’t … depending on how much you drive, of course.

As for how much electricity will cost in the future: pure speculation on your part. Sources are certain to expand in variety and we live in free-market competition.
Maybe after production, but not prior to the finished product and then when the battery is kaput, recycling is quite difficult. For every single EV battery produced, 500,000lbs of earth has to be processed. Where is this done, not here in the US, but places like the Congo. Who controls the majority of these rare earth materials to produce these batteries? China. Who builds most of these EV batteries? China. I have no qualms with EV’s, but the disinformation in regards to them is astonishing. What of the grid? Can the grid handle more and more EV’s?

Old 09-04-2022, 06:14 PM

258 posts, read 229,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Quiet.
My apologies but that's a bunch of brainwashed bull. Modern combustion cars are very quiet. After around 35mph your tires make more noise than your engine lol. Unless you have a loud exhaust. Then all bets are off. That aside, quiet isn't necessarily a good thing - that's why EVs have to make a government-mandated sound at low speeds.

Quote:
Not stinky.
Modern cars barely smell unless you stick your nose into the tailpipe directly. With all the emission control systems I hear the newest cars are even difficult to poison gas yourself to death.

Quote:
No pollution.
Wrong again. Tons of pollution. Your EV takes several years (depending on model) to become cleaner than an equivalent ICE car. Look it up, it's a fact. It's just that the bulk of the environmental damage comes from production rather than the tailpipe. But it's still there. And if you total your EV before the break even point you just polluted more with it. Or if you don't drive it much.

Quote:
Cleaner in every respect everywhere inside and out.
Absolutely no clue what that means. Did people suddenly stop cleaning their gasoline cars' interior or something? Because I know I clean mine fairly regularly so please 'splain.

Quote:
Super torque at all times (which makes for excellent handling as well as traction).
This part is so extremely amateurish that I don't know where to start. First of all, explain to me how huge amounts of torque from 0 rpm make better traction? Because it's kind of the other way around and it takes your computer all it has to control that wheel spin. Plus because of the low end torque EVs with good power tend to eat through tires much faster than ICE cars (you can look this up). Which is again bad for the environment because tires are made of oil. Handling is aided much more by the battery location which lowers the center of gravity. But it also makes EVs very heavy compared to ICE equivalents which wears out the roads much more. Oh, and then because of lack of multiple gears acceleration force tends to wane as the electric motor spins up. Which is why most EVs are good accelerating but their top speed is quite low.

Quote:
Fast, if you like rapid acceleration (entering highways, for example).
Not all EVs are fast. The Leaf and Fiat 500 are quite slow. And while the absolute record is held by an EV currently there are non-production ICE cars that will eat it for lunch. Hell, my 35 year old Porsche is faster to 60 than a base model 3. There are plenty of gas cars nowadays that put up similar numbers anyway.

Quote:
And then the low repair frequency and costs … and no, the eventual expensive battery replacements aren’t any worse than replacing engines, transmissions …
An average battery replacement for a Tesla is $13-20K. You can replace several engines and transmissions in an average Camry for that. The one thing I'll give you there's less maintenance frequency. In that regard EVs do win but that's the only thing I see so far.

Quote:
“Higher up front costs” offset fuel,savings? Not over the long run they don’t … depending on how much you drive, of course.
Yes, they do offset the fuel savings. And yes, you're right, depends on how much you drive. The less you drive the less you save.

Quote:
As for how much electricity will cost in the future: pure speculation on your part. Sources are certain to expand in variety and we live in free-market competition.
They do expand but so does the demand. And with EVs the expansion is much higher than normal. Plus, as you said - free market. If the utility company *can* charge you more why wouldn't they? What are you going to do - buy a gas car? Lol.

Old 09-04-2022, 08:10 PM

1,108 posts, read 527,950 times
I would like to see a ev pull my 5th wheel of 15k to Yellowstone and back! Matter of fact i would like to see any EV pull my boat to Lake Mead with hours and hours of charging. Grand kids would go crazy waiting to get there.

Old 09-04-2022, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soujouner View Post
Maybe after production, but not prior to the finished product and then when the battery is kaput, recycling is quite difficult. For every single EV battery produced, 500,000lbs of earth has to be processed. Where is this done, not here in the US, but places like the Congo. Who controls the majority of these rare earth materials to produce these batteries? China. Who builds most of these EV batteries? China. I have no qualms with EV’s, but the disinformation in regards to them is astonishing. What of the grid? Can the grid handle more and more EV’s?
I can ask as many questions and more of the damages done by ICE. Mining, extraction, manufacturing, pollution …

Old 09-05-2022, 01:07 AM

47 posts, read 39,790 times
Default What exactly is meant by no more emissions by 2035?

What does it mean for my Camry that I own? Will I still be allowed to use it in 2035 and beyond?

Old 09-05-2022, 01:08 AM

47 posts, read 39,790 times
Default Additional info

https://laist.com/news/climate-envir...d-cars-by-2035

Old 09-05-2022, 07:16 AM

6,116 posts, read 12,588,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californian27 View Post
What does it mean for my Camry that I own? Will I still be allowed to use it in 2035 and beyond?
I answered this for you in your previous post, but it was merged with the bitter EV 2035 thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200RT View Post
100% of new sales of EVs. Your current car is exempt, as are sales of used cars.

Summary:
https://business.ca.gov/industries/z.../zev-strategy/

text of the Executive Order:
https://www.gov.ca.gov/wp-content/up...20-Climate.pdf

1. It shall be a goal of the State that 100 percent of in-state sales of new
passenger cars and trucks will be zero-emission by 2035
. It shall be a
further goal of the State that 100 percent of medium- and heavy-duty
vehicles in the State be zero-emission by 2045 for all operations where
feasible and by 2035 for drayage trucks. It shall be further a goal of the
State to transition to 100 percent zero-emission off-road vehicles and
equipment by 2035 where feasible.

Old 09-05-2022, 08:49 AM

8,326 posts, read 6,419,063 times
What it means is the Democrats want everyone to take the bus and fewer cars. What takes 20 minutes by car takes a hour by bus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California