Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2022, 10:32 AM

2,022 posts, read 1,736,000 times

Advertisements

"With 28 million vehicles on the road, California can rightfully call itself the unofficial capital of American car culture.

The Legislature, though, just passed a bill offering a $1,000 tax break to households that don’t have any.
The bill’s author, Sen. Anthony Portantino, D-Burbank, called it an attempt to get motorists to trade their cars for buses and other forms of transit. “We can invest in the future by providing financial incentives for Californians to transition from vehicles to more sustainable options,” he said in a prepared statement." From The Sacramento Bee today, 9/5/2022.

I posted before that our state won't ban gas vehicles, but instead we'll see incentives and regulations to eliminate private cars and put more residents on the bus. These attempts will reduce emissions and open up the roads free from traffic to the elite, progressive few who can still afford that Mercedes Benz and $ 10 for a gallon of gas. The future is coming, and it isn't pretty.

In short, the poor, the homeless, the carless get $ 1,000 and we can keep the potholes. What comes next ? A $ 5,000 tax break if you rip off the HVAC and the gas range from your home? Live in a tent, cook with open fire, and there won't be more taxes to pay. The new green progressive dream.

Last edited by mgforshort; 09-05-2022 at 10:44 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2022, 01:33 PM

47 posts, read 39,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200RT View Post
I answered this for you in your previous post, but it was merged with the bitter EV 2035 thread.
Thanks. Pardon.

Old 09-05-2022, 03:20 PM

10,292 posts, read 6,813,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
What it means is the Democrats want everyone to take the bus and fewer cars. What takes 20 minutes by car takes a hour by bus.
Correction: 2hrs 54mins. And this still leaves you with a mile walk to your destination. With groceries, like ice cream, today...

Old 09-05-2022, 03:52 PM

50,242 posts, read 46,997,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
Correction: 2hrs 54mins. And this still leaves you with a mile walk to your destination. With groceries, like ice cream, today...
I had an 11 mile trek to work and I would have to take a bus, switch buses, take the trolley and still walk a half mile in a super unsavory neighborhood even in the daytime. But yes, almost three hours one way.

Old 09-05-2022, 05:09 PM

1,108 posts, read 527,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgforshort View Post
"With 28 million vehicles on the road, California can rightfully call itself the unofficial capital of American car culture.

The Legislature, though, just passed a bill offering a $1,000 tax break to households that don’t have any.
The bill’s author, Sen. Anthony Portantino, D-Burbank, called it an attempt to get motorists to trade their cars for buses and other forms of transit. “We can invest in the future by providing financial incentives for Californians to transition from vehicles to more sustainable options,” he said in a prepared statement." From The Sacramento Bee today, 9/5/2022.

I posted before that our state won't ban gas vehicles, but instead we'll see incentives and regulations to eliminate private cars and put more residents on the bus. These attempts will reduce emissions and open up the roads free from traffic to the elite, progressive few who can still afford that Mercedes Benz and $ 10 for a gallon of gas. The future is coming, and it isn't pretty.

In short, the poor, the homeless, the carless get $ 1,000 and we can keep the potholes. What comes next ? A $ 5,000 tax break if you rip off the HVAC and the gas range from your home? Live in a tent, cook with open fire, and there won't be more taxes to pay. The new green progressive dream.
Gotta love that California Dreaming!

Wait till all those elec car owners get the new registration tax when the politicians figure out how they are losing hundred of millions in fuel taxes are gone!

Old 09-06-2022, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by done working View Post

Wait till all those elec car owners get the new registration tax when the politicians figure out how they are losing hundred of millions in fuel taxes are gone!
Sandag is already trying to push it.

Old 09-06-2022, 11:30 AM

19,194 posts, read 16,675,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Sandag is already trying to push it.
Curiosity prompted me to look up Sandag as I hadn't heard of it (not living there, I guess) and they seem to be pretty shady. I just read where they stopped use of the agency's credit card because staff was using it to pay for pricey meals. They're also proposing another half cent sales tax on the Nov. ballot but that doesn't seem to be going well, either. And then half of them want more freeway infrastructure (those are the republicans) and half want more public transit (the democrats). They have about as much agreement as our congress and senate in DC, don't they? lol

Old 09-06-2022, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
Curiosity prompted me to look up Sandag as I hadn't heard of it (not living there, I guess) and they seem to be pretty shady. I just read where they stopped use of the agency's credit card because staff was using it to pay for pricey meals. They're also proposing another half cent sales tax on the Nov. ballot but that doesn't seem to be going well, either. And then half of them want more freeway infrastructure (those are the republicans) and half want more public transit (the democrats). They have about as much agreement as our congress and senate in DC, don't they? lol
They want 150 billion. Pocket change.

Old 09-06-2022, 06:34 PM

4,433 posts, read 2,447,326 times
Maybe this has already been mentioned (I'll assume it is) but instructing people not to charge their electric vehicles has been part of the week long flex alert throughout the state. The grid has been pushed to the absolute limit today. What's going to change in the next thirteen years to make this pipe dream a reality?

Old 09-06-2022, 10:34 PM

158 posts, read 159,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by done working View Post

So what is that beautiful state you live in where everything is perfect?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California