Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2021, 02:55 PM

1,252 posts, read 1,053,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
The most liberal part of Boise ( there aren’t many) is way better then all of Palmdale
That's because you don't like brown people. That's probably also why you aren't liking Tucson either. Your problem. Some of your posts from several years ago are pretty damn racist, to be quite honest.

Quote:
I don’t know Sly other then a decent actor .... just showing a example of another multi millionaire who’s had enough of Ca
A decent actor is relative. I don't see any versatility, so not in my opinion. "Rocky" was a one-and-done sort of thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2021, 05:22 PM

6,913 posts, read 3,375,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
I wonder if New York, Illinois & Calif have anything in common....

Thanks all, for the update. (Originally, I checked into this 6 months ago.)
I have lived in all 3 of these states - already left all of them at least once - getting close to leaving CA for like the fifth time. Both CA and IL did come after us after leaving for more taxes that we didn't owe - they lost.

Hi taxes, liberal agendas, and out of control spending.

Old 01-27-2021, 05:45 PM

12,040 posts, read 6,567,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post

People ask, "What drives people out?" That's easy. GOVERNMENT.
Correction —DEMOCRAT controlled government

Old 01-27-2021, 05:47 PM

4,321 posts, read 6,281,603 times
Quote:
Biden just signed a bunch of environmental bills to save us all today. Still worried? I thought he was supposed to save us all.....guess not just killing thousands of jobs
Actually, it'll create many more green jobs. Big oil and coal are not coming back, despite all the far right pundits. Now, I agree that this alone won't solve the problem of global warming as we have to completely move away from a carbon based economy on a global scale. But, at least its a start, which is a lot more than I can say about Trump.

Old 01-27-2021, 06:44 PM

6,913 posts, read 3,375,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njbiodude View Post
Which jobs are leaving?

Virtually everyone I know has at least one wage earner in their family with at least a college degree around here (Bay Area) often in technical subjects. Any job paying under about $40/hr wont sustain one enough to live in this region. You literally wont be able to rent a studio apartment in most areas.

Why should Californians give a $hit that Elon Musk is moving a bunch of factory jobs paying $18-30/hr out of the area? Starbucks managers here make more. People making that much around here are being subsidized by the state and counties.
What a load - who is going to be the barista, servers, cooks, auto mechanic, plumber, gardener etc. Is the Starbucks manager going to be the only one working there? if everyone is a college grad making $40/hr who does the other jobs. The average Starbucks manager in CA makes $43,514 according to data - that is about $22/hr, not $40. How are those making $18-30 being subsidized by the state? It is an issue if it really takes $40/hr to live somewhere - not something to boast about.

You might care about Musk leaving because if he stayed he would owe about $18B in taxes according to reports. That is almost 25% of the total PIT collected by CA last year.

Old 01-27-2021, 06:55 PM

3,456 posts, read 2,781,479 times
This would make a great movie. A “Grapes of Wrath” in reverse. Descendants of the Joad family moving to Oklahoma to escape California’s wildfires. And instead of Okiespeak, the new Joads uses Valspeak.

Last edited by Suesbal; 01-27-2021 at 07:07 PM..

Old 01-28-2021, 07:02 AM

2,209 posts, read 1,782,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
Actually, it'll create many more green jobs. Big oil and coal are not coming back, despite all the far right pundits. Now, I agree that this alone won't solve the problem of global warming as we have to completely move away from a carbon based economy on a global scale. But, at least its a start, which is a lot more than I can say about Trump.
Oh well, who cares if ags prices go up to $4.00 or $5.00 a gallon, everyone can afford that and it won't impact food costs due to freight costs, etc.

Oh batteries for electric cars cause a huge amount of ... pollution when being made. A trade off, not a fix.

"The CO2 emissions from making a battery are higher than what you save from not making the engine and transmission," David Reichmuth, a senior engineer in the clean-vehicles program at the Union of Concerned Scientists, told Business Insider.

https://www.businessinsider.com/buil...hicles-2019-11

Interesting article.

Old 01-28-2021, 07:27 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,659,938 times
Growing up all I heard was peak oil and energy independence is a pipedream... don't forget the coming Ice Age.

Well... fears of Ice Age overstated, Peak Oil in what century again and USA exporting oil... Outlandish.

Paid 2.60 at the pump last fill and today 50 cents more...

We really do it to ourselves...

The old adage follow the money often rings true...

Old 01-28-2021, 07:43 AM

4,321 posts, read 6,281,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer46 View Post
Oh well, who cares if ags prices go up to $4.00 or $5.00 a gallon, everyone can afford that and it won't impact food costs due to freight costs, etc.

Oh batteries for electric cars cause a huge amount of ... pollution when being made. A trade off, not a fix.

"The CO2 emissions from making a battery are higher than what you save from not making the engine and transmission," David Reichmuth, a senior engineer in the clean-vehicles program at the Union of Concerned Scientists, told Business Insider.

https://www.businessinsider.com/buil...hicles-2019-11

Interesting article.
They're saying that within 4-5 years, electric cars will actually be cheaper to manufacture and purchase than regular cars: https://www.industryweek.com/technol...search%20shows.

Agree that there are kinks to work through but that comes through investment and prioritization, not pretending that the status quo is sustainable as global warming becomes more of an issue.

Old 01-28-2021, 07:49 AM

3,456 posts, read 2,781,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Growing up all I heard was peak oil and energy independence is a pipedream... don't forget the coming Ice Age.

Well... fears of Ice Age overstated, Peak Oil in what century again and USA exporting oil... Outlandish.

Paid 2.60 at the pump last fill and today 50 cents more...

We really do it to ourselves...

The old adage follow the money often rings true...
California may benefit from an Ice Age.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California