Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2009, 07:25 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
Perry Boys Smorgy Buffet...............eat all you want................

They also had one in Monterey, Salinas, etc...
that is it, I had forgotten the term "smorgusboard buffet" I knew cafeteria wasn't quite right.

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2009, 09:48 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,597,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
I don't remember Russell's, but I do remember a hamburger chain called "Wimpy's," after the Popeye character.
I didn't think there were any Wimpy's in California but someone else mentioned there were a very few, perhaps they used CA to test out the US market as a whole.

They didn't last long in CA, neither did White Castle on any of their attempts to break into the CA market.

Pretty sure Hamburger Hamlet on Sunset and Doheny is still there. That's a few blocks west of their original location which was near the Whisky.

Old 08-15-2009, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
I didn't think there were any Wimpy's in California but someone else mentioned there were a very few, perhaps they used CA to test out the US market as a whole.

They didn't last long in CA, neither did White Castle on any of their attempts to break into the CA market.

Pretty sure Hamburger Hamlet on Sunset and Doheny is still there. That's a few blocks west of their original location which was near the Whisky.
Oh and then there was Tooties I think it was called, one in Alhambra and maybe one in the Hollywood area, anyway they had the "to die for" onion rings.

NIta

Old 08-15-2009, 05:17 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,938,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post

Pretty sure Hamburger Hamlet on Sunset and Doheny is still there.
That it is.

Old 08-15-2009, 07:14 AM

26,726 posts, read 26,798,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Oh and then there was Tooties I think it was called, one in Alhambra...they had the "to die for" onion rings.
Twohey's, right? They're still there, on Atlantic Blvd in Alhambra. Their onion rings were--and probably still are--amazing. Before they remodeled it, they actually had waitresses on rollerskates who served your meal at your car. They were famous for their "Stink-O burgers" (grilled onions) when we were little. And they served the world's best chocolate sundaes. Wow, did we ever eat unhealthy food back then!

Old 08-15-2009, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Twohey's, right? They're still there, on Atlantic Blvd in Alhambra. Their onion rings were--and probably still are--amazing. Before they remodeled it, they actually had waitresses on rollerskates who served your meal at your car. They were famous for their "Stink-O burgers" (grilled onions) when we were little. And they served the world's best chocolate sundaes. Wow, did we ever eat unhealthy food back then!
I thought Tooties wasn't quite right, some call it a senior monment, I call it plain OLD AGE!!!

Oh, you mean unhealthy food was around then, golly I thought it just appeared on the scene in the past 10 years???

Nita

Old 08-17-2009, 11:56 AM

273 posts, read 655,226 times
Frank Zamboni is being inducted into the Ice Hockey Hall of Fame.
Well, yes, they still make those Zamboni's, but the nostalgia here is the first ones were based on military Jeeps. I remember skating on Saturdays at Ice Land in Paramount and the Zamboni would come out about every 2 hours and shave the ice perfectly smooth.

Old 08-18-2009, 12:12 AM

15,639 posts, read 41,032,900 times
Remember Fotomat? Ever accidentally run into a Fotomat booth with your car in a parking lot?

Old 08-18-2009, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
Remember Fotomat? Ever accidentally run into a Fotomat booth with your car in a parking lot?
I do remember them, but never ran into one, I have run into a few other things, but we will leave it at that...

Old 08-18-2009, 10:31 AM

12,823 posts, read 24,397,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehcsrop View Post
Frank Zamboni is being inducted into the Ice Hockey Hall of Fame.
Well, yes, they still make those Zamboni's, but the nostalgia here is the first ones were based on military Jeeps. I remember skating on Saturdays at Ice Land in Paramount and the Zamboni would come out about every 2 hours and shave the ice perfectly smooth.
Ah, yes, the Iceland chain. Up here, the one in Berkeley may be shut (I have not driven by there of late) but the one in Belmont remains, now with a new crop of Russian and Chinese immigrants' kids. (Legal immigration is fine in my book, so long as there is eventual assimilation.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California