Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2009, 02:05 PM

3,727 posts, read 6,221,870 times

Advertisements

Departed local SoCal sportscasters that we old timers used to listen to on the radio,and/or television----Bob Kelley,Tom Harmon,Steve Bailey,Sam Balter,Stan Brown,Fred Hessler,Jerry Doggett,Don Drysdale,Gil Stratton,Jim Healy,Chick Hearn,and perhaps a couple more that I will recall after this post is made.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2009, 02:25 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,739,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackShoe View Post
Departed local SoCal sportscasters that we old timers used to listen to on the radio,and/or television----Bob Kelley,Tom Harmon,Steve Bailey,Sam Balter,Stan Brown,Fred Hessler,Jerry Doggett,Don Drysdale,Gil Stratton,Jim Healy,Chick Hearn,and perhaps a couple more that I will recall after this post is made.
Dick "Whoa Nelly" Lane.

Dick Lane (TV announcer) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Joe Hernandez (who preceded Trever Denman) at Santa Anita. Joe called every race from 1934 to 1972 and he died at the mike. I even created a thread for him years ago.

//www.city-data.com/forum/los-a...ver-heard.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Her...race_caller%29

http://www.voiceofsantaanita.com./

Beyond classic:

Jim Healy Tribute Site

Old 09-02-2009, 03:17 PM

3,727 posts, read 6,221,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Dick "Whoa Nelly" Lane.

Dick Lane (TV announcer) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Joe Hernandez (who preceded Trever Denman) at Santa Anita. Joe called every race from 1934 to 1972 and he died at the mike. I even created a thread for him years ago.
Of course Dick Lane,like I said,I knew that i would leave someone out.How many wrestling shows did we watch with him on the mic?Am a lifelong horseracing fan,but did omit the early announcers,since very few will recall them,but now I will mention them.Besides Joe Hernandez,there was Harry Henson of Hollywood Park,Bobby Doyle of Los Alamitos,and Roy Shudt of Western Harness.

Old 09-03-2009, 05:52 PM

12 posts, read 24,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
there were 3 places in SGV that had subs to die for, I know they have changed hands since we left and may all be out of business for all I know: One was the Grinder on the corner of Hill and I don't know the other street, maybe Washington on the Altadena/Pasa border. The other 2 were in Arcadia, one was Anthony's Italian restaurant and the other O.J.s All three places used real mean, not like we get today with a bunch of fillers and they used more than 1 oz plus real pieces of lettuce, onion, etc. then added dressing. We did try O.J. about 6 or 8years ago, it had changed hands (which we knew) too bad the new owners didn't keep the same quality.

Nita
Claro's Italian Market (I think there are three in SGV) and Capri Deli in Covina have the best grinders around in my area and they use authentic Italian ingredients.

Old 09-03-2009, 06:46 PM

30 posts, read 120,506 times
Does anyone here remember an ice cream chain back in the 70's called Clancy Muldoons? There were at least a few on the Westside. Also, does anyone remember Lum's? They had hot dogs, hamburgers, and I guess they were known for their beers, although I was just a little kid when they were around, so obviously, I don't remember their beers. Wasn't there also a chain of fried chicken places called Jim Dandy? Also, the Doghouse chain, Orange Julius, Swensen's, and remember Pup n' Taco?

Old 09-03-2009, 06:48 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,739,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Bronco Mike" View Post
remember Pup n' Taco?

YouTube - Pup N Taco

Old 09-03-2009, 07:42 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,593,729 times
Quote:
Does anyone here remember an ice cream chain back in the 70's called Clancy Muldoons? There were at least a few on the Westside.
I do remember them. They were on La Brea just north of Sunset. Didn't know they were a chain though. I just remember that location.

Swensen's was a chain. Since you're from Palms judging by your previous posts you probably remember the one on Sepulveda and National (which this Mar Vista/WLA kid remembers).

I vaguely remember Jim Dandy, they tended to be in black neighborhoods (or what were then black neighborhoods). If I'm not mistaken there was one around Pico and San Vicente by what was Sears?

Orange Julius is long gone, but if you're on the West Side the Novel Cafe in Santa Monica makes Orange Juliuses.

Didn't know Lum's existed in CA, I thought that was more of a midwestern thing.

Old 09-03-2009, 07:51 PM

Yes, I remember that Swensen's on Sepulveda and National, in that shopping center, where there was also a Straw Hat Pizza. I had a couple of birthday parties at that Straw Hat, when I was a kid. There was an Akron right across the street. I actually grew up in the flats of Beverlywood, as I like to call it. I grew up right off of Robertson Blvd, 2 blocks north of Hamilton High. The Clancy Muldoons that I remember was on Wilshire Blvd, either in Santa Monica, or Brentwood, and I think there may have been one in Culver City on Sepulveda, near the Culver Ice Rink(I wonder if the ice rink is still there). I heard from someone on one of these nostalgic sites mention that some of the old Wil Wrights ice cream parlors became Clancy Muldoons, but I'm not sure about that.

Old 09-03-2009, 08:17 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,593,729 times
Quote:
Yes, I remember that Swensen's on Sepulveda and National, in that shopping center, where there was also a Straw Hat Pizza. I had a couple of birthday parties at that Straw Hat, when I was a kid. There was an Akron right across the street. I actually grew up in the flats of Beverlywood, as I like to call it. I grew up right off of Robertson Blvd, 2 blocks north of Hamilton High.
So I wasn't THAT far off.

If you grew up over there you remember when Damiano's had a location on Robertson and Airdrome as well as their location on Fairfax which is still there. They also had a 3rd location earlier on Pico Blvd. near Overland which closed in about 1980. You also might remember the little miniature golf place on La Cienega.

Quote:
The Clancy Muldoons that I remember was on Wilshire Blvd, either in Santa Monica, or Brentwood, and I think there may have been one in Culver City on Sepulveda, near the Culver Ice Rink(I wonder if the ice rink is still there).
Yes it is:
Culver Ice Arena - Ice Rink

I don't recall ANY Clancy Muldoon's other than the one on La Brea. I remember that one very well. In fact I remember running into Freddie Prinze there while he was doing Chico & The Man.

Quote:
I heard from someone on one of these nostalgic sites mention that some of the old Wil Wrights ice cream parlors became Clancy Muldoons, but I'm not sure about that.
Carnation bought Wil Wrights in the '70s.

Old 09-03-2009, 08:25 PM

Wow! You won't believe this, but on Facebook tonight(I participate in many discussion grups on Facebook), I talked about that very same minature golf course on La Cienega. It was called the Hi Point Minature Golf Course. My brother took me minature golfing there a couple of times, when I was a little kid, back in the early 70's. It was down the street from a great pizza place called Pizza Prince, which was around from about the late 60's, until the mid 70's. As far as Damiano's, not only do I remember it, but my family ate there quite often back in the 80's, and I went to high school with the owner's daughter. They also had one on Pico, across from the Westside Pavilion, and one on Fairfax, across the street from Canter's. The one on Fairfax is the only Damiano's left.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California