Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 07:41 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,688,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoTimeToTalk View Post
Interesting. Can you explain why?
I may be able to shed some light on that comment. If you live in or under a major 400K line, you could take insulated electrical wire, perhaps a thousand feet and lay it on the ground in a zig zag fashion under the power line, you can quite a bit of electricity from that, without any direct contact with line.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2012, 07:44 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,958,238 times
Induction, correct? I can see getting volts from that, but useable amps?

Old 02-19-2012, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Induction, correct? I can see getting volts from that, but useable amps?
I cannot vouch for it, having never done it myself. I remember reading years ago about PG&E catching people appropriating the power like that.

It would be induction I reckon.

Once also many years ago I was driving down I5 near Patterson at night time, and as I did before wife and kids, took an off ramp, found a dirt road that took me up onto ranch land and threw out my sleeping bag. I realized that I was under a large power line my hair was stiff, the nylon bag crackled, very bizarre, I felt like I and the grassland could just burst into flame... That had to have been the field force around the powerlines I felt.

Living under or near those big lines cannot be good for ones health.

Old 02-20-2012, 06:34 AM

12,149 posts, read 8,422,794 times
You're more likely to die on I5 or get struck by lightning or have a heart attack or develop cancer or win the lottery or marry Cindy Crawford than to suffer ill effects from a nuclear power plant.

You breathe air everyday that is cumulatively worse.

Old 02-20-2012, 09:00 AM

364 posts, read 611,436 times
I call TROLL. The op has no interest in living in SLO. Just wants to push anti-nuke propoganda.

Old 02-20-2012, 09:09 AM

89 posts, read 327,865 times
Actually, I am, and have been, interested in living in the SLO and Monterey area. The sheer proximity of the Diablo Canyon Power Plant somewhat concerns me. As for nuclear power, I am for nuclear power and think we need it to sustain and improve our quality of life. I am just concerned about living near one, just as I would be concerned about living near an electrical or cell reception tower.

Old 02-20-2012, 10:53 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,752,781 times
Default No excuse for nuclear power in California

I have worked in a nuclear facility and there is no reason why, with enormous expenditures, they cannot be made reasonably safe. In California, however, with abundant wind, water and solar energy, there is absolutely NO reason to build nuke plants and those remaining should be decommissioned ASAP. Even getting rid of them is a hassle. We have a defunct nuke plant on Humboldt Bay which was taken offline years ago because of its location above a major fault (nice going, PG&E) and the spent rods, sealed in concrete, are going to be there forever because no one can figure out a safe way to transport them to Yucca Flats or wherever. They apparently don't represent a hazard at this point but I personally wouldn't buy a house within a hundred miles of a nuke plant as long as private corporations are in charge.

Old 02-20-2012, 06:51 PM

268 posts, read 817,562 times
I live down wind of Diablo. PGE has all kinds of warning sirens, like air raid sirens. They test them a couple of times a year, quite noisy. The thing is, by the time they sound them off, you will probably get your dose of cancer. It's just part of life. Vandenberg Air Force Base is just to the south of SLO county, trust me, it will be one of the first things nuked by the Chinese or Russian submarine missiles. So life is a risk.

Old 02-21-2012, 07:12 PM

89 posts, read 327,865 times
This Just In: "Radiation detected 400 miles off Japanese coast"

Quote:
Radioactive contamination from the Fukushima power plant disaster has been detected as far as almost 400 miles off Japan in the Pacific Ocean, with water showing readings of up to 1,000 times more than prior levels, scientists reported Tuesday.
Read the full story here: Radiation detected 400 miles off Japanese coast - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/radiation-detected-400-miles-off-japanese-coast-195135164.html - broken link)

Old 02-21-2012, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoTimeToTalk View Post
This Just In: "Radiation detected 400 miles off Japanese coast"

Read the full story here: Radiation detected 400 miles off Japanese coast - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/radiation-detected-400-miles-off-japanese-coast-195135164.html - broken link)
Something will kill you, quit worrying about what it might possibly be and enjoy life. Oh, and by the way, when you go, what is your legacy?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California