Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 11:12 PM

89 posts, read 327,865 times

Advertisements

I'm considering a move to San Luis Obispo but am worried about the nuclear power plant in Diablo Canyon. I have never lived near a power plant, or even power lines for that matter.

Please allay my fears, or scare me away from the area. Please be honest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2009, 12:03 AM

13 posts, read 61,445 times
Honestly, I still don't know what I'm going to do with this seventh finger...

Really though, it's out in the middle of a canyon. If anything should happen, SLO is covered by the surrounding mountains for pretty decent protection. Look at a topological map, a la google, you're fine.

It's the drunk frat guys you should be worried about!

Old 02-19-2009, 01:19 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,958,238 times
I grew up 10 miles from the San Onofre nuke plant, a lot closer than you'd be, and nothing but open air between us and the plant, unlike Diablo and SLO, which has a large, mountainous terrain barrier between them. I'd live next door to one of those places without a care in the world.

Old 02-19-2009, 08:39 AM

1,319 posts, read 4,244,527 times
It is far unhealthier to live near a coal plant.

Old 02-19-2009, 09:04 AM

15,639 posts, read 41,047,807 times
I'd be more worried about living near someone's meth lab. You never know when that's gonna blow!

Old 02-19-2009, 09:38 AM

1,634 posts, read 6,720,515 times
They say Diablo is the one of the strongest buildings in the world. If you are at all concerned, they say live north of it because of the winds. Those planes that hit the World Trade Center wouldn't even make a dent on those containment domes. They say there is an earthquake fault near the plant. I'm not sure exactly where. Again, it's no concern to me. I'll gladly glow to live in paradise.

Old 02-19-2009, 12:22 PM

8,262 posts, read 18,490,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA central coast View Post
They say Diablo is the one of the strongest buildings in the world. If you are at all concerned, they say live north of it because of the winds. Those planes that hit the World Trade Center wouldn't even make a dent on those containment domes. They say there is an earthquake fault near the plant. I'm not sure exactly where. Again, it's no concern to me. I'll gladly glow to live in paradise.
Would you eat any fish caught near the cooling water outflow?

Old 02-19-2009, 12:32 PM

1,248 posts, read 3,510,578 times
Diablo Canyon 1, why can't you be more like Diablo Canyon 2?

My friends and I call San Onofre "T*ts on the beach" but that's because we have the minds of 12-year-olds.

I live about 50 miles east of Palo Verde Nuclear Generating Station in Phoenix, home to one of the world's largest nuclear reactors and while there's been safety issues/concerns in the past, it hasn't seemed to affect the 4.5 million people who live east of the plant (I emphasize that we're east of PVNG because the winds blow east and if there ever was an incident, Metro Phoenix would be in deep sh*t)

Old 02-19-2009, 02:20 PM

1,664 posts, read 3,958,633 times
I was going to say something humorous, but then I felt sad for all the people cowed by the propaganda against nuclear power plants.
Would you visit Europe? Nuclear plants are the power of choice there due to high cost of oil, dirty coal , etc.
As I recall getting a regular tan at a tanning parlor causes more cancer than all the atom smashers in the US.

Sleep easy as you should fear your bathroom more as most accidents happen there!

Old 02-19-2009, 02:57 PM

1,248 posts, read 3,510,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Trails View Post
I was going to say something humorous, but then I felt sad for all the people cowed by the propaganda against nuclear power plants.
Would you visit Europe? Nuclear plants are the power of choice there due to high cost of oil, dirty coal , etc.
As I recall getting a regular tan at a tanning parlor causes more cancer than all the atom smashers in the US.

Sleep easy as you should fear your bathroom more as most accidents happen there!
Yeah, most of my post was supposed to be facetious. Other than the waste, there's a ton of benefits to nuclear power over coal and similar energy forms. It just so happened that things like Chernobyl, The China Syndrome and Three Mile Island occurred around the same time (give or take a few years) which resulted in a huge backlash against nuclear power plants since nobody bothered to educate the public on the pros and cons of nuclear power (and in Chernobyl's case, it was severe incompetence in both the construction and management of the facility).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California