Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2010, 05:05 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5Lakes View Post
Frankly, most people live where they do because it's where they have ties or it's what is best for their family. I'm not exactly sure what kind of answers you are looking for? The premise of this thread is if people are jealous of California, and I think you found some people to answer that. Most people don't look at where they live as some sort of contest. I don't think any reasonable person would say California is boring either, so I don't know where that comes from.

I live in Chicago because it's where I have a job and also because it's one of the most happening cities in the country. I like it here because of the urban life and because it's a vibrant city. I sure don't live here for the low cost of living or because it's an easy place to live. Before Chicago I lived in San Diego, which I also liked but for different reasons. Like Chicago, I found myself there for work, but also knew it would be an enjoyable place to live.
It seems to all boil down to the simple, Shakespearean concept of, "The lady doth protest too much, methinks."

For my part, I have no burning need to defend where I choose to live nor any need to denigrate from whence I came. Both have their benefits and their deficits. It's purely a matter of personal choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2010, 06:40 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,174,412 times
Let this thread die already, damn

Old 06-29-2010, 06:49 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,174,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
If you were familiar with the words to the Beach Boys song, you wouldn't post it as means of promoting the state.
what are you talking about? it names a bunch of California beaches and talks about surfing. How is that not a means to promote the state?

Old 06-29-2010, 07:30 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliguy19 View Post
Let this thread die already, damn
It will if you stop responding with your 2 cents worth all the time.

Nita

Old 03-08-2015, 03:13 PM

2 posts, read 2,529 times
I have noticed that the "new status question" is "Are you FROM here?" I am surprised how many people who are non-native are driven to ask me this question.....and yes, I am a Native Californian. I think this is the latest status seeking question that has replaced "So, what do you do?"

Old 03-08-2015, 05:37 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,011,473 times
How could people be jealous of California living in states like Colorado, Washington, Hawaii, Oregon, Vermont or cities like NYC and Miami?

I could understand if you lived in Ohio or Mississippi but I think Californians are reading way too much into comments and doing the equivalent of what that annoying popular girl in high school used to do to deflect criticism; saying to herself that everyone is just jealous.

California is a beautiful wonderful state but it has a lot of baggage. Stuff that other ppl probably don't like or want to deal with. That doesn't mean ppl are jealous.

Old 03-09-2015, 12:04 AM

1,640 posts, read 2,657,106 times
The short answer is "yes."

Old 03-09-2015, 02:33 AM

9,197 posts, read 16,843,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
How could people be jealous of California living in states like Colorado, Washington, Hawaii, Oregon, Vermont or cities like NYC and Miami?

I could understand if you lived in Ohio or Mississippi but I think Californians are reading way too much into comments and doing the equivalent of what that annoying popular girl in high school used to do to deflect criticism; saying to herself that everyone is just jealous.

California is a beautiful wonderful state but it has a lot of baggage. Stuff that other ppl probably don't like or want to deal with. That doesn't mean ppl are jealous.
The "jealous" conclusion often comes from the fact that so many from other states feel a burning desire to inexplicably keep coming back into CA forums, usually to talk smack. Which would likely indicate some level of jealousy, if people are so moved to engage in this.

Old 03-09-2015, 07:15 AM

21,736 posts, read 16,350,818 times
Jealous? Nope.
Quote:
envy vs. jealousy : Choose Your Words : Vocabulary.com
Envy is when you want what someone else has, but jealousy is when you're worried someone's trying to take what you have. If you want your neighbor's new convertible, you feel envy. If she takes your husband for a ride, you feel jealousy.

Old 03-09-2015, 01:29 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,843,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Jealous? Nope.
We're trying to take their happiness by simply existing, judging by the rhetoric in here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California