Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2014, 06:00 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,441,267 times

Advertisements

unfortunately these threads have defined racism as something that caucasians do.
they exclude the term when talking about the behavior of minorities.
quebec is intolerant of much poor urban america behavior.
the people of quebec will not hesitate to call you on your stuff.
very little sympathy for ghetto behavior.

Last edited by Huckleberry3911948; 10-13-2014 at 06:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2014, 06:11 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,047,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
unfortunately these threads have define racism as something that caucasians do.
You are right that minorities can be racist. But discussions like these tend to focus on the majority (or majorities) because they generally wield most of the power. If and when they are racist, it has a much more significant impact as this leads to large institutions both public and private being discriminatory. Neither is acceptable I guess, but having a racist police department patrolling an entire city (paid for by everyone's taxes including minorities BTW) is a lot more serious than some Chinese restaurant only hiring Chinese people.

Old 10-13-2014, 07:47 PM

29 posts, read 35,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
You are right that minorities can be racist. But discussions like these tend to focus on the majority (or majorities) because they generally wield most of the power. If and when they are racist, it has a much more significant impact as this leads to large institutions both public and private being discriminatory. Neither is acceptable I guess, but having a racist police department patrolling an entire city (paid for by everyone's taxes including minorities BTW) is a lot more serious than some Chinese restaurant only hiring Chinese people.
Yes. One instance that enters my mind is the deep American south. Both the whites ans blacks (even though American so called blacks are actually mixed African and British or German) had both been on the land the same amount of time. Many in both groups had ancestors in the military fighting the British and later in the US and CS armies during the civil war. They both were quintessentially American. Yet the white majority when racist wielded all the power and were able to control all aspects of economy, politics, and military for the benfit of those who looked like them. Meanwhile the other Americans who were colored were effectively second class citizens. Whites in almot all white areas like New England found the situation vile, bur when they moved to the deeop south themselves they usually adopted the racist ways and all the benefits of appearing white.

Old 10-14-2014, 08:44 PM

360 posts, read 983,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
unfortunately these threads have defined racism as something that caucasians do.
The bolded line is largely true unfortunately.

Institutional racism may not exist in Western countries especially Canada and Australia, but racism on the individual level and through media is still deeply embedded in these places.

Just because Canadians or Australians don't yell out racist slurs to Asians or Blacks doesn't mean that they don't harbour negative feelings or develop a sense of superiority to people of colour. Also, not only does Western media keep reinforcing those typical Asian or Black stereotypes but if you look at most billboards or advertisements of models fronting popular American or Canadian brands, you see only white models. Black or Asian models are seriously underrepresented.

Old 10-15-2014, 10:42 AM

3,867 posts, read 5,293,801 times
Came across a radio interview from this morning and it touched on much of what we have been discussing in the thread. The emergence of overt racism in the most recent municipal election in Toronto is the main topic of conversation, but long rooted systemic racism is also discussed:

Racism in the election - Metro Morning - CBC Player

Old 10-15-2014, 12:23 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,047,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
Came across a radio interview from this morning and it touched on much of what we have been discussing in the thread. The emergence of overt racism in the most recent municipal election in Toronto is the main topic of conversation, but long rooted systemic racism is also discussed:

I guess it turns out Torontonians are human just like the rest of us.

Old 10-15-2014, 04:27 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,330,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I guess it turns out Torontonians are human just like the rest of us.
That's hard to believe.

J/k. I couldn't resist.

Old 10-19-2014, 12:45 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,887,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post

I think there are examples of such things in most any major city and really is this anything new? So this doesn't really surprise me nor would it surprise most Torontonians who know that people like this exist and its hardly a revelation. I mean you couldn't find examples of things like this in cities such as Boston, Montreal, DC or Philly?.. Seriously, are we to say that L.A, Pheonix, S.F, Chicago, Seattle any other large comparative city to Toronto in the U.S is free from racism? If you have an ideal American urban model of racial harmony and integration where everybody isn't a racist that Toronto should follow than do share so we can assimilate. However, if you do share that than be prepared for others to start picking examples of racist sentimentality that does indeed exist in such a place and display it front and centre.

Anyway, not trying to brush away that it isn't an issue but Toronto doesn't own problems of racism against its peers and I think we all know this and really I don't think the majority - the quiet majority of white Torontonians or White Canadians/Americans in general have hostile feelings against minorities. Do you really feel that whites in Toronto are MORE racist than whites in most other cities when the reality is it is a small group of ignorant white morons in Toronto or any other place? I for one think that examples of racism in Toronto belongs largely small groups of narrow minded morons and people like this are going to exist anywhere and these squeaky wheels get the attention grease but largely they are a small group of idiots.. These morons aren't just whites either- heck there is a large enough percentage of minorities with ill will and ignorant judgement towards whites so it is a two way street but fortunately MORONs and Ignorant douchebags are a minority across the spectrum and I for one don't want to give them anymore attention than they deserve. Anyone who makes the claim Toronto is 100 percent free from douchebag ignorant morons is ignorant himself and I think this is something we all know. Who made the claim at any point that Toronto was free from racism? On the flip, anyone who thinks that this problem only exists in Toronto needs to have a healthy dose of realism and balance introduced into their perspective. As much as the U.S likes to talk about racism it is still alive and well - but fortunately like in Canada racist, ignorant douchebag morons are in the minority.. They make a good story to talk about I guess.

As for Olivia Chow - have you watched her in the debates over the last few months.. She has been HORRIBLE and largely has herself to blame for the crash. She was polling way ahead of everyone 5 months ago including John Tory by miles and her support was widespread including amongst white Torontonians. She lost support because of her negativity and weak performance in the debates and an overall weak campaign and platform. Most minorities I saw in the crowds during the debates were largely vocal in their support for the Fords 1st and Tory 2nd with Chow a distant 3rd.

Last edited by fusion2; 10-19-2014 at 02:12 PM..

Old 10-19-2014, 03:06 PM

342 posts, read 511,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
I think there are examples of such things in most any major city and really is this anything new? So this doesn't really surprise me nor would it surprise most Torontonians who know that people like this exist and its hardly a revelation. I mean you couldn't find examples of things like this in cities such as Boston, Montreal, DC or Philly?.. Seriously, are we to say that L.A, Pheonix, S.F, Chicago, Seattle any other large comparative city to Toronto in the U.S is free from racism? If you have an ideal American urban model of racial harmony and integration where everybody isn't a racist that Toronto should follow than do share so we can assimilate. However, if you do share that than be prepared for others to start picking examples of racist sentimentality that does indeed exist in such a place and display it front and centre.

Anyway, not trying to brush away that it isn't an issue but Toronto doesn't own problems of racism against its peers and I think we all know this and really I don't think the majority - the quiet majority of white Torontonians or White Canadians/Americans in general have hostile feelings against minorities. Do you really feel that whites in Toronto are MORE racist than whites in most other cities when the reality is it is a small group of ignorant white morons in Toronto or any other place? I for one think that examples of racism in Toronto belongs largely small groups of narrow minded morons and people like this are going to exist anywhere and these squeaky wheels get the attention grease but largely they are a small group of idiots.. These morons aren't just whites either- heck there is a large enough percentage of minorities with ill will and ignorant judgement towards whites so it is a two way street but fortunately MORONs and Ignorant douchebags are a minority across the spectrum and I for one don't want to give them anymore attention than they deserve. Anyone who makes the claim Toronto is 100 percent free from douchebag ignorant morons is ignorant himself and I think this is something we all know. Who made the claim at any point that Toronto was free from racism? On the flip, anyone who thinks that this problem only exists in Toronto needs to have a healthy dose of realism and balance introduced into their perspective. As much as the U.S likes to talk about racism it is still alive and well - but fortunately like in Canada racist, ignorant douchebag morons are in the minority.. They make a good story to talk about I guess.

As for Olivia Chow - have you watched her in the debates over the last few months.. She has been HORRIBLE and largely has herself to blame for the crash. She was polling way ahead of everyone 5 months ago including John Tory by miles and her support was widespread including amongst white Torontonians. She lost support because of her negativity and weak performance in the debates and an overall weak campaign and platform. Most minorities I saw in the crowds during the debates were largely vocal in their support for the Fords 1st and Tory 2nd with Chow a distant 3rd.
In the DC area it is far less "racist" towards blacks and Asians IMHO than Vancouver. Well really if you don't like blacks you should just get out of the city (or entire eastern US LOL!) but I notice that Asians are much more "integrated" than in Vancouver. I mean you hear terms like Hongcouver and rants about the dirty Chinese elites taking over the city all the time. Its pretty much to be expected. But here Asians are more culturally "integrated" and no one has a problem with them. They are greatly respected as high achievers.
At the same time people acknowledge racism to greater extent and it is a talked about phenomenon out in the open. In Canada the rule is to pretend racism ended sometime in the 1960's with people who venture to say otherwise standing out from the crowd.

Old 10-19-2014, 04:47 PM

3,867 posts, read 5,293,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post

Congratulations on completely missing the point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada