Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2014, 09:23 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,883,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
Congratulations on completely missing the point.
Oh i'm sorry - like usual your point is just to underscore that Toronto is the only racist city in N.A and that it requires you to reveal such to the world at every turn. My apologies - carry on with the T.O rampage and ignore the ills of everywhere else in Canada/U.S. If that is therapeutic to your wellbeing than by all means, I wouldn't want to interfere with that.

As for Torontonians - no revelation with your post.. We are more than aware there are a small minority of racist douchebags.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2014, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbesdj View Post

I couldn't agree more. The outright denial of the existence of racism in Canada is what gets my goat. .
Ed seems to have no problem finding examples of issues of racism brought to the fore in our media up here ie the Toronto Star, CBC media etc so perhaps this comment is a tad untrue and exaggerated. Anyway healthy discussion and dialogue is a good thing but sensationalism isn't necessary our style!

Old 10-20-2014, 09:46 PM

Maybe not as swept under the rug as some would contend... Sorry - we don't do Jerry Springer up here..

Race and racism central issue of election | Toronto Star

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/craig-a...b_5845284.html

Old 10-20-2014, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikeMike91 View Post
In the DC area it is far less "racist" towards blacks and Asians IMHO than Vancouver. Well really if you don't like blacks you should just get out of the city (or entire eastern US LOL!) but I notice that Asians are much more "integrated" than in Vancouver. I mean you hear terms like Hongcouver and rants about the dirty Chinese elites taking over the city all the time. Its pretty much to be expected. But here Asians are more culturally "integrated" and no one has a problem with them. They are greatly respected as high achievers.
At the same time people acknowledge racism to greater extent and it is a talked about phenomenon out in the open. In Canada the rule is to pretend racism ended sometime in the 1960's with people who venture to say otherwise standing out from the crowd.

I can't comment on Vancouver.. I've only been to the city once but my partners best friend is from Vancouver and she's about the coolest and most accepting white girl I've ever met (We met her in Toronto when she was a contestant in Miss Universe Canada). As for the part bolded in red - just don't buy it.. Too generalized imo. There are certainly examples of it brought to the fore in our media so... Even in a country like the U.S with sensationalized media and everyone 'talking' about it - there is certainly no lack of racist inclinations - first vid from Boston and second from Brooklyn..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHx21vr624Y
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wY-mrPuGDCg

Fortunately in both countries - douchebags like these are in the minority and most people respond to these idiots like the people in the video's. Some people are just narrow minded and regardless of how much they are exposed to open discussion they are just going to dislike people who are different. Hard to teach an old dog new tricks.

The best way to root this out long term is through educating our young and good anti-racist public policy and groups like these

http://www.edu.gov.on.ca/eng/document/curricul/antiraci/antire.pdf

http://urbanalliance.ca/initiatives-...-in-education/

Last edited by fusion2; 10-20-2014 at 10:30 PM..

Old 10-20-2014, 10:03 PM

1,706 posts, read 2,437,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikeMike91 View Post
In the DC area it is far less "racist" towards blacks and Asians IMHO than Vancouver. Well really if you don't like blacks you should just get out of the city (or entire eastern US LOL!) but I notice that Asians are much more "integrated" than in Vancouver.
You're either totally misinformed or trying to skew facts to prove a non-existent point. DC is one of the most racially segregated cities in America.

12 Maps That Show The Extreme Racial Segregation In America's Biggest Cities - Business Insider

Last edited by sandman249; 10-20-2014 at 10:32 PM..

Old 10-20-2014, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Maybe not as swept under the rug as some would contend... Sorry - we don't do Jerry Springer up here..

Race and racism central issue of election | Toronto Star

Racism Is Canada's Problem Too - Let's Talk About it*|*Craig and Marc Kielburger
What does racism have to do with the Jerry Springer show? There is clearly an audience for Springer because they show it on Canadian TV.

What can be truly compared is institutional racism between the two countries. Are there laws in Canada and USA that can be considered "racist" laws?
How about the stop and frisk laws in many American cities that mainly target minorities?
NYPD report: Most of those 'stopped and frisked' are minorities - CNN.com

How about Arizona's immigration law that allows cops to stop and check immigration status.
https://www.aclu.org/arizonas-sb-1070

How about the voter id laws that block the minority vote?
How Voter ID Laws Are Being Used to Disenfranchise Minorities and the Poor - The Atlantic

What does Canada have?

Old 10-20-2014, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman249 View Post
What does racism have to do with the Jerry Springer show? There is clearly an audience for Springer because they show it on Canadian TV.

What can be truly compared is institutional racism between the two countries. Are there laws in Canada and USA that can be considered "racist" laws?
How about the stop and frisk laws in many American cities that mainly target minorities?
NYPD report: Most of those 'stopped and frisked' are minorities - CNN.com

How about Arizona's immigration law that allows cops to stop and check immigration status.
https://www.aclu.org/arizonas-sb-1070

How about the voter id laws that block the minority vote?
How Voter ID Laws Are Being Used to Disenfranchise Minorities and the Poor - The Atlantic

What does Canada have?
I'm talking about sensationalized media - we just don't do it like that as done in the U.S... So from a media perspective - I think you don't have to have in your face shows to necessarily have constructive dialogue and representation of issues within media sources. Jerry Springer just sort of popped up in my mind because we don't really do that type of thing up here -same with Fox news lol

As for the rest of your post - don't get it.. Are you sharing with me that there are examples of racism in American institutions? I'm not surprised and again this is hardly a revelation. I for one don't support racial profiling of any group by any institution - be it the Toronto PD or laws the block minority votes in Arizona..

What do you mean what does Canada have? It has lotsa lakes, the Canadian Shield, Limestone and Shale mountains, Tundra, Arctic - ummm lots of Bison among other things Context please!

Last edited by fusion2; 10-20-2014 at 10:50 PM..

Old 10-20-2014, 10:48 PM

Quote:
I'm talking about sensationalized media - we just don't do it like that as done in the U.S... So from a media perspective - I think you don't have to have in your face shows to necessarily have constructive dialogue and representation of issues within media sources. Jerry Springer just sort of popped up in my mind because we don't really do that type of thing up here -same with Fox news lol

As for the rest of your post - don't get it.. Are you sharing with me that there are examples of racism in American institutions? I'm not surprised and again this is hardly a revelation. I for one don't support racial profiling of any group by any institution - be it the Toronto PD or laws the block minority votes in Arizona..

What do you mean what does Canada have? Context please!
I wasn't necessarily responding to your post. I was just trying to move the topic forward: Are Canadians are less racist than Americans?

Hence I was talking about institutional racism in the two countries.

These might not be new information for you. But I think that stating facts is more useful than posting YouTube videos about people yelling at each other.

Old 10-20-2014, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman249 View Post
I wasn't necessarily responding to your post. I was just trying to move the topic forward: Are Canadians are less racist than Americans?

Hence I was talking about institutional racism in the two countries.

These might not be new information for you. But I think that stating facts is more useful than posting YouTube videos about people yelling at each other.
Oh boy - I was just highlighting the fact that there are racists in both countries - not just Canada because if ya hadn't noticed, some individuals in here are bent on portraying Canada and some more specifically Toronto as being the epicenter of racist mentality and that we are completely oblivious to racist issues. You can absolutely contribute to the discussion and share information that is constructive and meaningful by all means.. If it is balanced all the better!! Having said that, would ya give me a bit of a break and look at the context of my posts and who I was responding to and why I responded the way I did

As for the Youtube video's - I was more interested in the collective reaction by most individuals to the racists than the actual racists themselves. I think the vids underscore that in most places in Canada and the U.S - the Quiet majority aren't racist - or at least not overtly sooo...

Old 10-20-2014, 11:30 PM

3,867 posts, read 5,292,845 times
Quote:
Oh i'm sorry - like usual your point is just to underscore that Toronto is the only racist city in N.A and that it requires you to reveal such to the world at every turn. My apologies - carry on with the T.O rampage and ignore the ills of everywhere else in Canada/U.S. If that is therapeutic to your wellbeing than by all means, I wouldn't want to interfere with that.

As for Torontonians - no revelation with your post.. We are more than aware there are a small minority of racist douchebags.
I guess I am just somewhat confused as to why you arrived at the conclusion you did. No one else seems to be having the same difficulty understanding the points I am making, so it is strange that an apparently intelligent person would respond in such ridiculous fashion.

Overt racism has gone underground for the most part in North America but we can find examples of such in any city on the planet. Our children's grandchildren will probably be around and some form of racism will still exist. That is life. The point I am making is that for some reason many other cities have broken certain glass ceiling barriers but Toronto seems to be stuck in neutral.

You have a great opportunity this election to break through. You have a viable Asian female running for election against two complete duds for mayor. You have some exciting young city council members of South Asian, Middle Eastern and Caribbean heritage running in some very winnable Ward elections. I am hoping that at least ONE wins their election and we have something to point to as a small but documented success.

All are polling behind, so based on polls they will all lose. But lets hope those are not correct. Especially the Ward 2 election where the front runner is Rob Ford of all people.

Desmond Cole had a great segment on SUN News speaking about White Privilege.

The truth about white privilege : Prime time : SunNews Video Gallery

So I ask you the same questions he asked the host on that show. Why is that in a city that is 47% visible minority we cant find one Public or Private industry or institution that represents those demographics accurately in Toronto? I have never lived in another city where minorities were so underrepresented in leadership positions in private and public life. Not one.

This does not mean that Toronto is the most racist city on the planet and racism has been solved elsewhere. It means that there are some serious barriers in place and you as a proud Torontonian should be outraged by it.

Now let me get back to my breakfast and morning news, followed by a day filled with racism denial that I seem to be so famous for.... ; )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada