Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2012, 09:44 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,728,787 times

Advertisements

I don't think there is much difference.

I remember Michelle Kwan, the American figure skater, born and raise in the US, had to say "I love America" every time, trying so hard to convince Americans that she is 100% American. A white American will never bother doing that. I don't understand why a Chinese American is considered less an American than one with Irish origin.

We can deny that but in many Americans' mind, an Asian American is somewhat less authentic American.

In Canada, it is the same mentality. I remember Carol Huynh, the first Canadian gold medalist in the 2008 Olympics, was featured at the very bottom of an ariticle in MaCleans magazine, below those silver and bronze medalists. Why? because she is Asian, and most don't feel as proud about an Asian Canadian winning gold as if it were a white Canadian. Canada only won 3 golds in 2008, and she was put near the bottom of it? Are you kidding?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2014, 04:46 PM

91 posts, read 297,743 times
Canadians as a whole even the Natives and immigrants are a racist bunch. In my travels through Canada it I found it striking that Canada is even more racist than the American south.

Old 10-09-2014, 06:18 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,497,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onni View Post
Canadians as a whole even the Natives and immigrants are a racist bunch. In my travels through Canada it I found it striking that Canada is even more racist than the American south.
Help us here, you're either an "it" or an "I" which is it?

Buuuullcraaaap! There is nowhere else on the planet as racist as the American south.

There is that what you were looking for? We can begin now.

Old 10-09-2014, 07:16 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,843,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Buuuullcraaaap! There is nowhere else on the planet as racist as the American south.
It must be getting close to the time when you're leaving for your 6-month stay in the American South, isn't it BruSan? Or are you there already?

How do you manage to stand all that racism? If I found a place to be the most racist "on the planet," I probably wouldn't want to go there at all, let alone spend 6 months there. There's no way I'd want to support a place like that by giving it my hard-earned money. I'd much rather spend my valuable time and retirement funds in a place where I think people are treated more equitably.

Old 10-09-2014, 09:06 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,330,165 times
I would like to know how Mouldy perceives racism in the south. If that is an indiscreet question, please ignore it. I am genuinely curious as to his perceptions, being from Mississippi. I am not interested in debating them. He has been on this forum long enough to have gotten a sense of how we perceive ourselves and what individuals perceive of the south and personal experiences are of course, subjective.

Old 10-10-2014, 06:56 AM

1,217 posts, read 2,599,838 times
I think the south has a very unfair and outdated reputation, not just by Canadians but by Americans in other parts of the country and people across the world based on what they see in on TV. I think there is also a big difference where you are in the South. I have family in Atlanta and have been 10+ times and have been to NC, Texas, Alabama and Louisiana off the top of my head. I find the bigger cities like Atlanta and Houston aren't that much different from bigger cities in North America - lots of different ethnicities and cuisines, interracial couples, strong gay scenes, artsy and musical, and quite industrialized and wealthy - these aren't not poor, backwards southern towns. In fact, the level of diversity in Texas isn't worlds behind what you'll see in NYC or Cali or Tor/Van.

The less industrialized states like the notorious "Mississippi" might be different but I haven't spent too much time in them. I would think they are more modern that what they credit for but there may be some stereotypes that still linger due to history. I too would love Moudly to chime in

I have been to small town Alabama for a 1.5-week assignment and although it wasn't very cosmopolitan like the bigger cities, I found the people to be extremely friendly and nice (I'm half white and half Asian but get mistaken for Hispanic a lot). Several locals were open to chatting at the restaurants and bars and seemed very interested in my story as a Canadian from immigrants living in NYC (at the time). Although it was bit slow and not a very industrialized town, I remember it being a very hospitable - with the best BBQ I've ever had!

Last edited by johnathanc; 10-10-2014 at 07:25 AM..

Old 10-10-2014, 12:47 PM

1,523 posts, read 2,865,620 times
In experience, English Canadian towns are actually much more racist than towns in the US deep south.

Old 10-10-2014, 02:35 PM

91 posts, read 117,764 times
From what "black" Americans tell me, Canadians claim not be racist with their words, but are very racist in action. Perhaps this is why the upper echelons of Canadian society are white dominated while Americans are much more mixed. Asian Americans for example are extremely successful, but in Canada they are frowned upon as trouble makers.

Old 10-10-2014, 05:26 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,497,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
It must be getting close to the time when you're leaving for your 6-month stay in the American South, isn't it BruSan? Or are you there already?

How do you manage to stand all that racism? If I found a place to be the most racist "on the planet," I probably wouldn't want to go there at all, let alone spend 6 months there. There's no way I'd want to support a place like that by giving it my hard-earned money. I'd much rather spend my valuable time and retirement funds in a place where I think people are treated more equitably.
How ya doin Dixiechick?

I should have used the sarcasm emoticon of rolling eyes after that particular line that offends you but I would have thought the rest of the post would have made perfectly clear I was giving the poster what they sought to get the crappola rolling.

As I've said many times I love the south.

I've also spent time in the RCN with some black guys from Halifax who could tell you some tales of Canadian racism that would curdle your cream. There is not, nor has there ever been, a shortage of racism in Canada. The only marked difference in the two histories is the issue of slavery but even that is not as clear cut.

There's even an example of an aboriginal chief selling land grants given to his people back to the Crown so he could build a mansion and farm and staff it with escaped black slaves from the south; his name was Joseph Brant.

Sophia Burthen Pooley, Part of the Family

Old 10-10-2014, 05:35 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,047,932 times
Given the history of racism in the U.S. and the exposure of many Canadians to it via the media, many Canadians are hyper-conscious about not replicating the specific forms of racism that the U.S. is infamous for. The relative absence of many of the U.S.-famous forms of racism in Canada does not mean Canadians cannot be racist in other ways though. They are humans like everyone else, after all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada