Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2013, 10:36 AM

6,560 posts, read 14,466,792 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nzrugby View Post
Yes but unlike Aussies neither Canada nor the USA cheat at cricket
In the case of the US, that's only because a) we can barely play cricket, and b) our precious corporations haven't figured out a way to make money cheating at it. If there is a way, however, give them time, and they'll find it and ruin it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2013, 10:57 AM

2,801 posts, read 3,861,044 times
Quote:
And it was only thirty two years ago
In Toronto, cricket is very popular at the local level and at any given time you can find a group of men or boys playing an informal game somewhere in the city. I don't know if there are any formal leagues, but there should be, because our South Asian and West Indian communities are large enough to sustain a few, especially in areas like Scarborough, Brampton, Mississauga, Rexdale. But the previous poster is absolutely right - until corporations can find a away to make big money from the sport, it will never be played at the professional level in Canada or the US. I mean, soccer is barely supported here despite having a massive fan base (especially in the big cities).

Old 06-04-2013, 05:50 AM

3,869 posts, read 5,294,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOkidd View Post
In Toronto, cricket is very popular at the local level and at any given time you can find a group of men or boys playing an informal game somewhere in the city. I don't know if there are any formal leagues, but there should be, because our South Asian and West Indian communities are large enough to sustain a few, especially in areas like Scarborough, Brampton, Mississauga, Rexdale. But the previous poster is absolutely right - until corporations can find a away to make big money from the sport, it will never be played at the professional level in Canada or the US. I mean, soccer is barely supported here despite having a massive fan base (especially in the big cities).
I agree you can always find a good Cricket match any week in the summer in Toronto, took advantage of a few myself.

Even if there was a professional and youth academy set up in Canada it would take a long time to really become a player on the world stage. Any elite player that rose through the Canadian system that held or had access to another countries passport would be swayed to play for that country. Kind of similar to what Canadian soccer faces with their truly elite players choosing to play for other countries if they can claim another nationality. Guys like Owen Hargreaves (England), Jonathan De Guzman (Netherlands), Asmir Begovic (Bosnia), Junior Hoillett (Unattached, but leaning towards Jamaica) and Sydney Leroux on the womens team (USA) come to mind.

Old 06-04-2013, 04:02 PM
pdw

2,675 posts, read 3,097,591 times
I'm not going to go out there and say I dislike every single American in the world, but as a collective, I strongly disagree with their cultural and societal values. I feel like the US thinks it's their job to push the world around as they see fit to uplift their economy at the rest of the world's expence. I also feel as if it's an every-man-for-himself capitalist kind of society where the poor are mocked, the rich are the only ones that matter and everyone sues everyone for everything. There are some things I admire about the US like their rate of church attendance and religiosity relative to ours here in Canada, as well as electing a black president for the first time, but other than a few things like that my view of the United States is largely negative.

Old 06-04-2013, 04:09 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,510,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
I'm not going to go out there and say I dislike every single American in the world, but as a collective, I strongly disagree with their cultural and societal values. I feel like the US thinks it's their job to push the world around as they see fit to uplift their economy at the rest of the world's expence. I also feel as if it's an every-man-for-himself capitalist kind of society where the poor are mocked, the rich are the only ones that matter and everyone sues everyone for everything. There are some things I admire about the US like their rate of church attendance and religiosity relative to ours here in Canada, as well as electing a black president for the first time, but other than a few things like that my view of the United States is largely negative.
You really think its like this?

Old 06-04-2013, 07:46 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,059,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
This from the guy who in the Montreal forum crapped all over someone from the States who said he liked the fact that Montreal was French and wanted it to stay that way. For meddling in Canadian affairs!

Old 06-04-2013, 08:35 PM

6,560 posts, read 14,466,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
You really think its like this?
Not every person, but as an overall set of national values as represented in how we govern ourselves, living here 49 years, that's how I think it is. People who defy those values are considered a bit strange, "questioning Murrica." It is alienatingly heartless and ruthless, increasingly ridden with "you can't do this because it's against my religion," and increasingly trips over three-syllable words. We sue way too often. We deride the poor; a lot of us call them 'takers.' We exalt the rich as being, obviously, the best people, because money is good and more money is better. I'm hoping we'll get a world government in my lifetime, so I can be governed by adults.

Old 06-04-2013, 08:46 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,500,035 times
Quote:
And it was only thirty two years ago
A slow rolling grounder pitch that was seen around the world.

Old 06-04-2013, 09:11 PM
pdw

2,675 posts, read 3,097,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
This from the guy who in the Montreal forum crapped all over someone from the States who said he liked the fact that Montreal was French and wanted it to stay that way. For meddling in Canadian affairs!
No he said he wanted to eliminate all signs of English from Montreal, which is a bilingual city, not French, and he can't want it to "stay that way" as it isn't "that way" in the first place.

Old 06-05-2013, 07:08 AM

564 posts, read 1,040,861 times
When I was 16 or so and working retail near the Halifax waterfront, an American woman came in and bought something using US currency, which we accepted. The change I gave her, however, was Canadian. She looked at it with disgust and snorted, "What the hell am I supposed to do with this?"

That is the attitude that will not make you any friends...lol.

Now in my 40's, and after many, many trips to places like New England, Florida, Vegas, and Seattle, I have yet to encounter an American as rude as that lady. For many years she tainted my view of what an American is. But I love the US, and I love visiting there, especially New England as my ancestors were Mayflower descendents and Loyalists, some of whom remained in the Boston area and others who left for the Annapolis Valley in NS.

Do Canadians dislike Americans? I think there are a few general qualities that we sometimes associate with the "loud American" that can rub us the wrong way. But I think it is mostly just the jealousy of a younger brother who sees his older brother getting all the attention.

Now living in Toronto, I get the same sense from some friends back in Halifax, with the "oh, now you are in the center of the universe" pokes. It's just a Canadian thing to always be looking at others and creating a self-image based on what we see or perceive others to have "over us" and what we have over them. If someone sticks their head up above the crowd, there are always swords being sharpened just waiting to cut it off. (Maybe I've been watching too much Game of Thrones!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada