Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2013, 08:02 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,716,100 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
From traveling across the U.S, Not many Americans give much thought about Canada to develop a hatered or a chip on our shoulder.
Traveling through Canada though, you do hear more people and their thoughts about the USA, our politics and our current events.
exactly.
The Americans hardly mention or remember Canada, while Canada doesn't seem to be able to exist without constant comparison with the US (often in attempt to appear superior).

You know what? When a neighbour doesn't give a damn about one, can one stop being obsessed with the neighbour? Apparently we can't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2013, 09:11 AM

2,801 posts, read 3,856,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
exactly.
The Americans hardly mention or remember Canada, while Canada doesn't seem to be able to exist without constant comparison with the US (often in attempt to appear superior).

You know what? When a neighbour doesn't give a damn about one, can one stop being obsessed with the neighbour? Apparently we can't.
I think it's pertinent to remember two things:

American/Canadian issues will be magnified in this forum, which has a small Canadian membership in an overwhelmingly American board.

Furthermore, most Canadians live within 100 miles of the border. Most Americans do not. The fact that most Canadians live so close to the US helps explain our preoccupation with that country, as does the fact that we watch their TV, news, and are saturated with their products and culture to a degree Americans do not have to deal with from any other country. When the vast majority of a fairly small country's population lives within a few dozen miles of the world's only superpower, it follows that the smaller country will have more awareness of the superpower's affairs and culture than the superpower has of the little guy.

What's quite interesting to me is the degree to which Canadians live their daily lives without paying much attention to the US. They may talk about the US on forums like this, or in silly newspaper columns, but your average Canadian could give a toss about the US unless is directly affects their life. Canadians generally do not care if Americans think about us, or what they think about us. What we sometimes resent is the fact that American policymakers and businesspeople generally do not realize the degree to which their country's economy is dependent on trade with little old Canada. For a country that is so preoccupied with money, the economy, and trade, Americans are shockingly ignorant abut the fact that Canada is their largest trading partner, and that every time they make it harder for goods and people to cross freely between our border, they are strangling the life out of their own economy as well as ours. It is these bread and butter issues that really pique Canadian interest in America. The sense of being unappreciated, unnoticed, or even poorly treated by our southern neighbour is not an issue for the vast majority of Canadians except when it comes to issues like the one I mentioned above, that truly impacts people's lives, jobs, and well-being.

Go to a Tim Horton's any morning of the week and listen in on the dozens of conversations going on between middle-class Canadians, and you will hear talk about all manner of topics, but American-Canadian issues will very rarely be in the lips of anyone ever.

Old 08-11-2013, 09:17 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
Quote:
exactly.
So in your opinion whenever a Canadian discusses any Canada/USA issue its because the Canadian wants to feel superior?

Old 08-11-2013, 10:05 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,716,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
So in your opinion whenever a Canadian discusses any Canada/USA issue its because the Canadian wants to feel superior?
I don't know how you came up with that conclusion. Definitely not through proper logic.

Old 08-11-2013, 10:25 AM

Quote:
I don't know how you came up with that conclusion. Definitely not through proper logic.
Perhaps this led me to that conclusion.
Quote:
Canada doesn't seem to be able to exist without constant comparison with the US (often in attempt to appear superior).

Old 08-11-2013, 02:15 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,477,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOkidd View Post
I think it's pertinent to remember two things:

American/Canadian issues will be magnified in this forum, which has a small Canadian membership in an overwhelmingly American board.

Furthermore, most Canadians live within 100 miles of the border. Most Americans do not. The fact that most Canadians live so close to the US helps explain our preoccupation with that country, as does the fact that we watch their TV, news, and are saturated with their products and culture to a degree Americans do not have to deal with from any other country. When the vast majority of a fairly small country's population lives within a few dozen miles of the world's only superpower, it follows that the smaller country will have more awareness of the superpower's affairs and culture than the superpower has of the little guy.

What's quite interesting to me is the degree to which Canadians live their daily lives without paying much attention to the US. They may talk about the US on forums like this, or in silly newspaper columns, but your average Canadian could give a toss about the US unless is directly affects their life. Canadians generally do not care if Americans think about us, or what they think about us. What we sometimes resent is the fact that American policymakers and businesspeople generally do not realize the degree to which their country's economy is dependent on trade with little old Canada. For a country that is so preoccupied with money, the economy, and trade, Americans are shockingly ignorant abut the fact that Canada is their largest trading partner, and that every time they make it harder for goods and people to cross freely between our border, they are strangling the life out of their own economy as well as ours. It is these bread and butter issues that really pique Canadian interest in America. The sense of being unappreciated, unnoticed, or even poorly treated by our southern neighbour is not an issue for the vast majority of Canadians except when it comes to issues like the one I mentioned above, that truly impacts people's lives, jobs, and well-being.

Go to a Tim Horton's any morning of the week and listen in on the dozens of conversations going on between middle-class Canadians, and you will hear talk about all manner of topics, but American-Canadian issues will very rarely be in the lips of anyone ever.
Exactly! Wish I'd said that.

Old 08-11-2013, 02:39 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Exactly! Wish I'd said that.
We have visited Canada a few times, we have cruised with a lot of Canadians and we have known a few who have immigrated to the USA. I have never thought they disliked Americans. I do think some, a good number of them do feel a little superior to us for whatever reason and I think they can be a little more subdued, where we are more laid back. Add to that, Canadians overall are more liberal in their political views, so they come across as not liking us. I don't think that is really the case.

Old 08-11-2013, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I do think some, a good number of them do feel a little superior to us for whatever reason and I think they can be a little more subdued, where we are more laid back. Add to that, Canadians overall are more liberal in their political views, so they come across as not liking us..
So in your brief incursions into Canada you've come to the conclusion that a good number of Canadians feel superior to Americans and because our political views may lean a bit toward liberal then you conclude Canadians dont like Americans.Really?
Wernt you chastising this American expat last week on the political section for not having any business telling Americans what their problems are because i now live in Canada?
Let me refresh your memory''
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I did say and I will continue to say, I find it amazing when people, living in other countries seem to think they know more about our country and how it should be run than we do. That is what I am saying!!!

Last edited by jambo101; 08-11-2013 at 05:25 PM..

Old 08-11-2013, 05:22 PM

4 posts, read 6,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1098 View Post
Its not just a US-Canada thing. Pretty much the same can be said of the relationship between New Zealand and Australia, even thought they are 2,000 km apart.
I agree. Same with The Danes and Swedes and Norwegians, English and Scottish and Irish. Whenever there is difference, there will be discrimination between the sides. Some people are just in denial.
I didn't mean to come across as blunt or obnoxious in my original post. Maybe the behavior I witness is mainly limited to border Americans and border Canadians, such as in Niagara Falls. But I happen to be a Canadian citizen residing in Canada at this time, but not very close to the US border. My two brothers live in WA State, close to the Canadian border. I visit them frequently, and see both sides. The Canadian border agents can be rude and offensive towards American citizens. (But in Canadians' "defence", the US border officials are definitely colossal jerks to Canadians too. It seems that people deliberately hire the biggest pricks they can find to be customs officers). I often observe moments of road rage from Canadian motorists towards American motorists (including my American brothers.) Many Americans I have talked to, who have actually spent time in Canada, and find out Canadians are really like, do not always have nice stories to tell. Some, coming up for a one week vacation, even leave after a one day, after finding out how rude some Canadian people can be. I knew some Americans who said they "couldn't talk to Canadians about anything. One man doesn't bother driving through Canada to Alaska any more, and instead flies up from LA to Alaska. He once even Fed Ex'd the fish he caught in Alaska back to LA, before he drove back down to Canada from Alaska. An American history professor who works in Korea would tell me how rude, insecure so many Canadian students were, with their obnoxious flag waving behavior, especially after the war in Afghanistan. They seemed to bring their pissing contest with Americans wherever they go.
I agree, though, that most Americans never notice or talk or care about Canada. They look through the whole anti-American thing through rose-colored glasses. Why would they care, the whole population of Canada could fit into California? They feel sorry for Canadians. Plus, many Canadians seem very concerned about preserving their image as a tolerant multiracial society, so they deny their anti-American jealousy.
Sadly, the people that the majority of Americans despise the most -- Tucker Carlson and Ann Coulter-- were the most accurate in their assessment of Canadians. Tucker Carlson :"Canada is essentially a stalker, stalking the United States, right? Canada has little pictures of us in its bedroom, right? It's unrequited love between Canada and the United States. We, meanwhile, don't even know Canada's name. We pay no attention at all..."
BTW, I present another article for you that is a bit more recent, from Forbes : "Move To Canada? Not So Fast."

Old 08-11-2013, 05:27 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,477,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyComeLately44 View Post
I agree. Same with The Danes and Swedes and Norwegians, English and Scottish and Irish. Whenever there is difference, there will be discrimination between the sides. Some people are just in denial.
I didn't mean to come across as blunt or obnoxious in my original post. Maybe the behavior I witness is mainly limited to border Americans and border Canadians, such as in Niagara Falls. But I happen to be a Canadian citizen residing in Canada at this time, but not very close to the US border. My two brothers live in WA State, close to the Canadian border. I visit them frequently, and see both sides. The Canadian border agents can be rude and offensive towards American citizens. (But in Canadians' "defence", the US border officials are definitely colossal jerks to Canadians too. It seems that people deliberately hire the biggest pricks they can find to be customs officers). I often observe moments of road rage from Canadian motorists towards American motorists (including my American brothers.) Many Americans I have talked to, who have actually spent time in Canada, and find out Canadians are really like, do not always have nice stories to tell. Some, coming up for a one week vacation, even leave after a one day, after finding out how rude some Canadian people can be. I knew some Americans who said they "couldn't talk to Canadians about anything. One man doesn't bother driving through Canada to Alaska any more, and instead flies up from LA to Alaska. He once even Fed Ex'd the fish he caught in Alaska back to LA, before he drove back down to Canada from Alaska. An American history professor who works in Korea would tell me how rude, insecure so many Canadian students were, with their obnoxious flag waving behavior, especially after the war in Afghanistan. They seemed to bring their pissing contest with Americans wherever they go.
I agree, though, that most Americans never notice or talk or care about Canada. They look through the whole anti-American thing through rose-colored glasses. Why would they care, the whole population of Canada could fit into California? They feel sorry for Canadians. Plus, many Canadians seem very concerned about preserving their image as a tolerant multiracial society, so they deny their anti-American jealousy.
Sadly, the people that the majority of Americans despise the most -- Tucker Carlson and Ann Coulter-- were the most accurate in their assessment of Canadians. Tucker Carlson :"Canada is essentially a stalker, stalking the United States, right? Canada has little pictures of us in its bedroom, right? It's unrequited love between Canada and the United States. We, meanwhile, don't even know Canada's name. We pay no attention at all..."
BTW, I present another article for you that is a bit more recent, from Forbes : "Move To Canada? Not So Fast."
Aaah, so you corrected that oversight with your second offering; I see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada