Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2014, 02:34 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,773,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoepolish View Post
I heard the "Raise" doesn't manifest in Canadian children until they hit 15-16 and start displaying signs of it. Before that they sound relatively normal. However the onset can be even earlier.

What age did it start for you? Do you remember the day when you went through the change.
You were asked some questions...

You don't have the manners to reply?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2014, 03:13 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,504,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
8,566 threads about it on City-Data, maybe?

I don't really feel anything personally about this as I don't really have the accent people are talking about. (I have more a French Canadian accent.)

But I can understand that it is annoying for some people.

I mean, who the f- cares if people speak with a (slightly) different accent?
You don't remember that lady who got banned asking Americans why they think Canadians have an accent? she got banned and now all of a sudden all these posters with 10 reputation are making threads about Canadian accents..... to the point that there is now a sticky thread about accents.

I'm thinking this is the same girl.

Old 11-20-2014, 03:28 PM

7,728 posts, read 12,624,521 times
I've always thought Wisconsin and Minnesota.

Old 11-20-2014, 03:28 PM

3,749 posts, read 4,968,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
No.

Given that I make a few dollars recording voiceovers for American ads and whatnot, and have never studied "American voice," I think it is safe to say that "Canadian raising" is overblown. If I had to pin my accent down, I'd say that I speak "American newscaster," much like Peter Jennings and Morley Safer--both of whom were Canadian.

Seriously, why is a Canadian accent of such interest to Americans?
I actually notice Canadian lowering more, like saying "melk" instead of "milk" and "op" instead of "up". Even Canadians who don't say "eh" and "aboat" will invariably do the lowering no matter how Americanized their accent is. Then again this is also prevalent on the West Coast and in the upper Midwest so it doesn't necessarily give away that someone's a Canadian.

Old 11-20-2014, 03:30 PM

3,749 posts, read 4,968,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Canadians flipping out over their own accents?Something you may not have considered is we dont hear this linguistic anomaly.
Its Americans that seem to be obsessed with the way we evidently say out and about.
in fact oot and aboot would be more attributable to a Scottish accent.

Welcome to the forum eh!
The Canadian accent has noticeable English and Scottish influences, probably due to lots of immigration from there in the 19th and 20th centuries.

Old 11-21-2014, 02:39 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valsteele View Post
I actually notice Canadian lowering more, like saying "melk" instead of "milk" and "op" instead of "up". Even Canadians who don't say "eh" and "aboat" will invariably do the lowering no matter how Americanized their accent is. Then again this is also prevalent on the West Coast and in the upper Midwest so it doesn't necessarily give away that someone's a Canadian.
The lowering?
The raise?
Is there an anti Canadian cult happening and these are current buzzwords?
If you really want to discuss accents America has em all from New England,to the hillbillys to inner city to the latino and just about every minority that moves to the USA . yet American after American starts topics on how Canadians say a few words differently making the pompous assumption that the American dialect is correct and the Canadian dialect is in some way inferior.
With thousands of posts from Americans on the ramifications of how Canadians evidently say oot and aboot instead of out and about ya gotta wonder just how vacuous the American intellect has become.Is there any Canadian linguistic abnormalities in the term "Get a life" ?

Last edited by jambo101; 11-21-2014 at 02:53 AM..

Old 11-21-2014, 03:59 AM

1,395 posts, read 2,525,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
The lowering?
The raise?
Is there an anti Canadian cult happening and these are current buzzwords?
If you really want to discuss accents America has em all from New England,to the hillbillys to inner city to the latino and just about every minority that moves to the USA . yet American after American starts topics on how Canadians say a few words differently making the pompous assumption that the American dialect is correct and the Canadian dialect is in some way inferior.
With thousands of posts from Americans on the ramifications of how Canadians evidently say oot and aboot instead of out and about ya gotta wonder just how vacuous the American intellect has become.Is there any Canadian linguistic abnormalities in the term "Get a life" ?
Easy now, jambo101. She's just a young gal. I don't think valsteele means any harm.

Old 11-21-2014, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maclock View Post
Easy now, jambo101. She's just a young gal. I don't think valsteele means any harm.
Although I'll freely admit that her participation in this thread and her odd comments about the "Canadian accent" are somewhat suspicious.

Old 11-21-2014, 06:05 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
Post # 20K

As valsteele is into accents heres the motherlode on the subject as it applies to American and Canadian accents.
American Accents and Dialects | Dialect Blog

Old 11-21-2014, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maclock View Post
Although I'll freely admit that her participation in this thread and her odd comments about the "Canadian accent" are somewhat suspicious.
Errr ... his participation ... his comments ....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada