Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2008, 11:19 AM

6,560 posts, read 14,457,035 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rose22 View Post
As I suppose you know, here in Catalonia, the weather is Mediterranean and I really like it, although now I think that we will have more summer period than winter winter because of all the changes that the world weather is suffering. And the fact is that I prefer winter, but winter in Catalonia means cold but we are not used to have rain everyday, that's what I don't know how I will feel in a place where it rains everyday, maybe where you live the weather is similar to Van or not? Maybe not, because you said you lived in the south of Washington state.

It's true that a lot of Catalan people would like Catalonia to be one country and not a part of Spain, but the fact, is that me, personally I like being Spanish, for me that's no problem.

At last, I would like to apologize if I do a lot of mistakes in written English, I try to do my best so you can understand.
One thing worth understanding is that this region has very distinct climatic regions. I lived in Seattle for sixteen years. From October to April inclusive, it basically rained. Now I live about three hours' drive away, where the sun shines 300 days a year. But it gets significantly colder; not much snow but a lot of wind; this area is a scrubby desert with little to break that wind. And in summer temperatures can clear 40 C, with hot wind blowing dust like a hair dryer full of talcum powder. So within three hours you can leave rainy Seattle, drive through snowy forested mountains and down a lush farm valley, and be in the desert.

BC doesn't have the same situation (I don't think Canada actually has a desert) but you should expect the same strong climate differences between Van and the interior. It's very hard to describe a regional climate in the Northwest overall because there are parts of the Olympic peninsula (and I'll bet along the BC coast, most of which you can't reach by roads) that get enough rain to make Van and Seattle look dry. In summer it's going to be nice in Van most of the time. In spring, winter and fall it's going to rain often.

Your written English is just fine, by the way. I can see where it could improve in small ways, but it's quite clear. If you speak as well as you write, or close, you should have no trouble getting along.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2008, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW2NOVA View Post
So thanks for your back-handed compliment, I know a lot more about Van than you do
How many decades have you lived in Seattle, then?

Old 09-17-2008, 11:51 AM

26,876 posts, read 38,019,680 times
Expect daytime temperatures in the coldest part of the winter in Vancouver to be around 7 degrees C. I would say this is probably colder than Barcelona in the winter. It does rain quite a bit but there are frequent nice days as well. It usually snows once or twice during the winter but the snow often melts during the same day. Some winters there is no snow at all in Vancouver.

Summers will not be as hot as in Barcelona, with the average daytime temperature probably around 22 degrees C. As someone said, summers tend to be quite sunny in Vancouver with relatively low humidity.

Old 09-18-2008, 10:18 PM

1,048 posts, read 6,444,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_k_k View Post
BC doesn't have the same situation (I don't think Canada actually has a desert) but you should expect the same strong climate differences between Van and the interior.
Actually, BC does have the exact same situation. The Canadian/USA border is just a manmade fabrication - the climate and geography are identical on either side of the border, and that includes the BC and Washington state border.

BC (and therefore Canada) has a desert in the Okanagan Valley - it's based around Osoyoos.

Some photos for those who are interested:

http://flickr.com/photos/amyallcock/655827965/
http://flickr.com/photos/amyallcock/...7600423981795/

Even the interior of BC around Kamloops and Lilloett is semi-arid - a drastic change from the other side of the Cascade mountain range where you'll find the lush, rainy temperate coast.

http://flickr.com/photos/22193654@N00/1472206957/ (around Kamloops)
http://flickr.com/photos/44462122@N00/612271449/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/deesignphotography/130640307/ (broken link)

Back to the original question, Vancouver is a popular choice for international students to learn and study English. Vancouver doesn't have a stereotypical American drawl or the stereotypical Canadian gawky accent... it's a rather neutral accent. But so many people here in Vancouver have moved here from elsewhere, you'll encounter all kinds of accents in your daily experience in Vancouver.

One suggestion, if you really want to hear how locals speak, is to watch some online Vancouver TV shows, or listen to some local Vancouver radio stations. That will give you a good indication for accents, or lack thereof.

Here are some radio/TV links to start with:

http://www.cbc.ca/vancouveratsix/ (broken link) (local TV news station)
http://www.95crave.com/ (local pop station)
http://www.citr.ca/ (college radio from UBC)

Last edited by Robynator; 09-18-2008 at 10:37 PM..

Old 09-19-2008, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robynator View Post
Actually, BC does have the exact same situation. The Canadian/USA border is just a manmade fabrication - the climate and geography are identical on either side of the border, and that includes the BC and Washington state border.

BC (and therefore Canada) has a desert in the Okanagan Valley - it's based around Osoyoos.
What I was specifically thinking of was the large, arid high desert that is the SE quadrant of Washington (where I live). I have never known of any area that large and that dry on the BC side. Up by the border, of course, I'd agree that there isn't much difference.

Old 09-20-2008, 09:43 PM

6,304 posts, read 9,011,042 times
Wow, unbelievable that a thread like this has turned into something somewhat ugly.

I am from New York, have lived all over the US, and currently live just outside of Seattle. My boyfriend of 3 years lives in a suburb of Vancouver, and I've had the wonderful opportunity to spend a LOT of time up there.

If you're an international student, I believe that you'd find Vancouver to be a wonderful place. Not only to improve your English, but also to meet some of the friendliest people in the world. It's a CITY, and, as such, has problems that every city in the world faces. Safety wise? I think that you would be hard-pressed to find a city that is safer. And, yes, that does include Seattle, which, by my reckoning, has plenty of unsavory characters.

Weather-wise? Aside from a LOT of rain (and sometimes snow) in the fall and winter, it's a wonderful temperate place to live. No real extremes of temperature one way or another. (As a native New Yorker, I can tell you that I REALLY appreciate this fact.)

To sum it up, from my perspective, if you can handle many dreary (yet not overly cold) days in the winter, Vancouver is a very appealing place to spend time.

Old 02-20-2009, 09:49 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,047,835 times
Default How Canadian is the accent in Vancouver?

Is the Canadian accent weakest in Vancouver compared to the rest of Canada?

Old 02-20-2009, 09:52 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,925,882 times
Aboot the same as in Hamilton, Ontario last time I was there.

Old 02-20-2009, 09:57 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,047,835 times
Ah that's interesting...also, is there a 'working class' accent - that tends to be more working class? It seems most Canadians regardless of class, ethnicity (if they were born there or lived most of their lives there) speak similarly.

Old 02-20-2009, 10:29 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,747,524 times
Quote:
It seems most Canadians regardless of class, ethnicity (if they were born there or lived most of their lives there) speak similarly.
Really? 33 million people spread out over the second largest country in the world all speak with the same accent and inflection?

Next time my buddies from Alberta and Newfoundland get together, I'll be sure and tell them.

Canadian accents are no different from those found in the US in that they change by region. You can find a subtle difference in accent in as little as 100 miles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada