Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2021, 09:17 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,560,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
Lytton set a new all-time high record for all of Canada hitting 46.6c. Victoria also reached an all-time record of 38c. Tomorrow is supposed to be even hotter.
One aspect of the heat is melting snow. Flood warnings.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...rior-1.5545880
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2021, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
It's 40 degrees right now and I'm dreading what tomorrow brings. I've been doing everything you're supposed to do to combat the heat but I still have an upset stomach and my whole body feels stiff and sore all over like I got beat up and thrown in a drier to tumble dry.

This is not fun and not easy to adapt to for a society of people who have been accustomed all their lives to much cooler temperatures. Stepping outside even for a moment is like stepping into a blast oven. All of my neighbours in the highrise are utterly miserable and feeling ill, and for one of them we had to have paramedics and police called to attend to him because he had a mental breakdown this morning because of the heat and he became violent and hallucinating. I've been hearing many emergency vehicle sirens around town around the clock since yesterday afternoon.

Many of the plants and shrubs in my gardens around the building are keeling over and withering in spite of being well watered, they just can't take the intense direct sun on their leaves. I'll be glad when this heat wave is over, forecast is for it to ease up a bit within the next week to 10 days. It can't break up too soon for me.

Time to go stock up on some Pilsner for tomorrow once the heat lets up a bit later this evening.

I used a big round concave garbage can lid tuned upside down on the lawn to make it into a bird bath for all the birds. They like it.

Went for a walk today. Picked up a nice sandwich and cold ice-tea, sat in the park and enjoyed the unexpected breeze. Still hot though.

Apartment internal temps has been 31C, cooler than I thought since it's hotter outside.

When I stepped out for my walk at 2pm, outside seem fresher than my apartment. When I stepped outside to walk to Canada Place to get my second dose, it was a wall of heat, that reminded me of Mexico.

Now I'm having a lovely homemade Margarita made with local BC Strawberries. It is either cooling me down, or the tequila is making me not care .

Take a cool shower Zoisite. I find that helps.

Old 06-27-2021, 10:10 PM

3,625 posts, read 3,412,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Now I'm having a lovely homemade Margarita made with local BC Strawberries. It is either cooling me down, or the tequila is making me not care .
I was at the local racetrack for horse racing today (won some, lost some, about evens on the day), and it was hot. Over 30C, anyway. Thankfully, the track has a bar, so cold beer (no kidding, Old Style Pilsner, off the tap--Zoisite? ) was called for. But it was so hot, that when I got home, the only thing to beat the heat was a couple of gin-and-tonics over ice, with lime.

Some of our American friends seem to like to remark on how long and how cold our winters are. What they don't realize is just how hot our summers, short as they are, can be. Phew! And we've got three more months of this heat.

Old 06-28-2021, 08:30 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,493,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
I was at the local racetrack for horse racing today (won some, lost some, about evens on the day), and it was hot. Over 30C, anyway. Thankfully, the track has a bar, so cold beer (no kidding, Old Style Pilsner, off the tap--Zoisite? ) was called for. But it was so hot, that when I got home, the only thing to beat the heat was a couple of gin-and-tonics over ice, with lime.

Some of our American friends seem to like to remark on how long and how cold our winters are. What they don't realize is just how hot our summers, short as they are, can be. Phew! And we've got three more months of this heat.
Chevy; when all things are considered, I would not want to trade places with the southwestern folks at this time in history. Seeing satellite shots of Lake Mead right now is not something one can easily grasp the reality of. They've been low on water before but not this bad for decades.

Famer's are having to walk away from crops they planted because they can't irrigate them. Cattle are requiring feed and there's not going to be any for the near future. It's going to be a tough couple of years ahead for them throughout the mid & south west.

This heat dome over the west could be a harbinger of just more wild fires and other heat related problems for Canada as well.

Ice sheets melting, pandemics, cicadas and gypsy moth outbreaks, indigenous genocide, - boy, oh boy. Give me back a decade or so of our parents not having to worry about anything other than next winter's price of fuel oil for the furnace.

Old 06-28-2021, 09:22 AM

7,681 posts, read 5,530,949 times
I was recently following a water shortage thread in the Great Debates forum. Someone mentioned NAWPA which I had never heard of so I googled it. It was a rather interesting but wacky water management scheme: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_...Power_Alliance .

The scheme was conceived in the 1950s by the US Army of Engineers to divert water in Canada down into the US. In 1964 the Parsons Corp. of California developed a plan. Parsons originally proposed using peaceful nuclear explosions to excavate trenches and underground water storage reservoirs for the system.
Quote:
The Parsons plan would divert water from the Yukon, Liard and Peace River systems into the southern half of the Rocky Mountain Trench which would be dammed into a massive, 500 mi (805 km)-long reservoir. Some of the water would be sent east across central Canada to form a navigable waterway connecting Alberta to the Great Lakes with the additional benefit of stabilizing the Great Lakes' water level. The rest of the water would enter the United States in northern Montana, providing additional flow to the Columbia and Missouri–Mississippi river systems, and would be pumped over the Rocky Mountains via the Sawtooth Lifts in Idaho. From there, it would run south via aqueducts to the Colorado River and Rio Grande systems. Some of this water would be sent around the southern end of the Rockies in New Mexico and pumped north to the High Plains, stabilizing the Ogallala Aquifer. The increased flow of the Colorado River, meanwhile, would enter Mexico, allowing for greater development of agriculture in Baja California and Sonora.
Quote:
Canadian Prime Minister Lester Pearson was quoted in 1966 saying of the plan that “This can be one of the most important developments in our history."
The scheme would have required the building of 6 nuclear power plants to create the electricity to pump the water over the Rocky Mountains.

Old 06-28-2021, 05:16 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,048,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
I was recently following a water shortage thread in the Great Debates forum. Someone mentioned NAWPA which I had never heard of so I googled it. It was a rather interesting but wacky water management scheme: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_...Power_Alliance .

The scheme was conceived in the 1950s by the US Army of Engineers to divert water in Canada down into the US. In 1964 the Parsons Corp. of California developed a plan. Parsons originally proposed using peaceful nuclear explosions to excavate trenches and underground water storage reservoirs for the system.

The scheme would have required the building of 6 nuclear power plants to create the electricity to pump the water over the Rocky Mountains.
From that wiki article "Canadian Prime Minister Lester Pearson was quoted in 1966 saying of the plan that “This can be one of the most important developments in our history."

Right after that it says this:

Quote:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_...Power_Alliance

"In the 1970s, the plan began to encounter fierce opposition by a number of different groups on both sides of the border, based on concerns with its financial and environmental costs and the international implications of exporting Canadian water. The environmental movement, which viewed the plan as the "hydrologic anti-Christ,"[14] gained momentum in the early 1970s, and is credited with playing a major role in halting the project.[2][15] After initially expressing support for NAWAPA as Interior Secretary in the 1960s, Stewart Udall publicly ridiculed the plan after leaving office.[1][16] The project was opposed by public sentiment in Canada,[1] though Canadian financier Simon Reisman, who negotiated the Free Trade Agreement, the precursor to the North American Free Trade Agreement, was one of its backers and main promoters. Nonetheless, the Canadian position on free trade exempted water exports, in part specifically to pre-empt any attempted completion of Reisman's long-time pet project.[citation needed] The NAWAPA Foundation, which Parsons had founded to promote the scheme, closed its doors in 1990.[17]

Environmental writer Marc Reisner noted in Cadillac Desert that the plan was one of "brutal magnificence" and "unprecedented destructiveness."[1] Historian Ted Steinberg suggested that NAWAPA summed up "the sheer arrogance and imperial ambitions of the modern hydraulic West" and credited rising costs and the rise of the environmental movement with killing the idea.[15] One author called it "the most outlandish water development scheme to emerge in the past 50 years"
I never approved of any of that awful NAWAPA scheme to start with anyway, but now I also think it's just as well nobody ended up wasting the money and effort on it for a more recent reason. It never occurred to any of them back in the 50's and 60's that climate change was going to throw a spanner into the world's gears they way it's doing now. I think such an environmentally and socially destructive scheme as they had envisioned would have ultimately destroyed North America.

They should have all been giving much more serious consideration to desalinizing sea water instead of playing with ideas of terra-forming North America and FUBAR'ing all of it along the way.

Old 06-28-2021, 06:06 PM

7,681 posts, read 5,530,949 times
Well, I’m glad Canada managed to keep water exports out of the free trade agreement. It would have folded into NAFTA and probably would probably have caused problems now.

Old 06-28-2021, 07:42 PM

3,462 posts, read 2,789,333 times
Freres Pilon drank Coors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRNbG98zyQc

Old 06-29-2021, 08:48 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,493,436 times
Some interesting reading related to this part of the discussion:

https://www.ijc.org/en/boundary-waters-treaty-1909

A few years back just about every dock along the shores of Georgian Bay were high and dry by hundreds of yards with people having to anchor their boats out in the Bay proper then slog through hundreds of yards of bottom mud to get to their boats. There were many discussions centered around this "treaty" and the speculation that a lot of water was being taken out of the great lakes ("perhaps") in violation of this treaty.

It came to naught however as there is no practical method of "measuring" out going water flow with any degree of certainty.

We need to husband ALL of our resources, with fresh water being probably the most important of the lot, as I'm quite certain the future holds nothing but the guarantee we'll need every drop.

Our area is now in full protest mode over companies like Nestle trying to renew fresh water bottling permits for any number of fresh water wells in southern Ontario and people are gradually coming to their senses over, not only the loss of water for mere pennies, but also the terrible additional plastic burden on the environment.

These are interesting times indeed whith all the things we've taken for granted for at least a generation, now becoming tenuous.

Old 06-29-2021, 07:36 PM

Well no one sent Zoisite and me beer, and the thread went from asking for cold beer to talking about water.

Next heatwave I'll start with water and hope it ends up all about beer.

Today is the last day of the heatwave. It was 32C-35C depending where you were in Vancouver today. It certainly felt better.
Tomorrow 27C and it will hover around that for the next 6 days or so, then down to 22C ish for a bit.

Glad to get back to normal...and perhaps now I can get all those chores I've put off...because ya know, " It' too Darn Hot ".

Ann Miller. Great American Dancer to sign out!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WS_YAKZH3lw
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada