Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2022, 10:04 AM

17,874 posts, read 15,925,121 times

Advertisements

LOL at you Canadiens thinking you can teach us Americans something about gun regulations

https://www.yahoo.com/news/canada-ac...125002493.html

Quote from article
He allegedly set out driving east with the intention of traveling some 50 hours by car to ultimately kill Trudeau. But he ended up turning around near Hope and contemplated committing an act of mass violence at Simon Fraser University instead, prosecutors claimed. Grantham turned himself in to Vancouver police that night.

Yeh how you background checks work for this guy eh? Oh let me guess it told you he would only "contemplate" committing mass murder, and not actually carry out after he already gathered his guns and ammo, and drove to the sight almost.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2022, 10:42 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,536,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
LOL at you Canadiens thinking you can teach us Americans something about gun regulations

https://www.yahoo.com/news/canada-ac...125002493.html

Quote from article
He allegedly set out driving east with the intention of traveling some 50 hours by car to ultimately kill Trudeau. But he ended up turning around near Hope and contemplated committing an act of mass violence at Simon Fraser University instead, prosecutors claimed. Grantham turned himself in to Vancouver police that night.

Yeh how you background checks work for this guy eh? Oh let me guess it told you he would only "contemplate" committing mass murder, and not actually carry out after he already gathered his guns and ammo, and drove to the sight almost.
The day the USA gets it's gun crime to that of Canada's is the day you can gloat. Also no one ever said gun regulations can prevent ALL crime. It can, and does reduce it.

The fact is that in Canada, homicides by guns is much, much lower than in the US. This seems to show that OUR gun regulations do work.

As for this story. Nowhere can I find how he got these guns. Were they stolen? Where they hunting rifles? Squamish is a fairly rural area where hunting isn't unheard of.

Facts are:

19,384 people were murdered by guns in the US in 2020. Canada had 277. Adjusting for population, for the US to be at Canada's rate you would have had 2,493 murders, but you didn't.

Mass murders are rare, and school shootings are extremely rare.

So please, trying to lecture Canadians on our gun regulations is just plain silly.

Last edited by Natnasci; 06-15-2022 at 11:20 AM..

Old 06-15-2022, 11:02 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,477,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/71/...cid=mm7119e1_w

In response, to other questions....Canada's culture COME FROM a Corporate culture, The USA comes from a "up yours" culture.

It really does explain the differences between the two countries....BTW....that observation came from a Canadian on cultural difference between the USA and Canada.
Whaaah??? So - suddenly a Canadians opinion is relevant if it fits a meme?

Americans also bent over for the introduction of income taxes.
Americans stood still while your rights were abrogated by the TSA in personal body searches without probable cause.
Americans instituted medicare and medicaid, TANIF, among a bunch of other welfare provisions such as section 8 housing, not to mention a period of cel-phone plans for baby mommas with multiple kiddies from multiple daddies - none of whom are in the household providing support.
Well over 20 percent or 68 million (twice Canada's entire pop.) of Americans are receiving some form of government assistance OTHER than Social Security: "About 68 million Americans received some type of government assistance through the major welfare programs in 2018. Meaning, about 21.3% of American people are using one or more programs like SSI, TANF, and SNAP. This costs the USA about $212 billion every year."
Americans tolerated the drafting of millions of their young men to go fight in foreign wars.

The list is endless of American provisions that are frequently construed as being "nanny statist" if enacted by other countries.

Golly; that single Canadian sure has a strange concept of what would constitute the "up yours", rugged individualist thingy. :c

Old 06-15-2022, 12:30 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,925,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
The day the USA gets it's gun crime to that of Canada's is the day you can gloat. Also no one ever said gun regulations can prevent ALL crime. It can, and does reduce it.

The fact is that in Canada, homicides by guns is much, much lower than in the US. This seems to show that OUR gun regulations do work.

As for this story. Nowhere can I find how he got these guns. Were they stolen? Where they hunting rifles? Squamish is a fairly rural area where hunting isn't unheard of.

Facts are:

19,384 people were murdered by guns in the US in 2020. Canada had 277. Adjusting for population, for the US to be at Canada's rate you would have had 2,493 murders, but you didn't.

Mass murders are rare, and school shootings are extremely rare.

So please, trying to lecture Canadians on our gun regulations is just plain silly.
LOL until we get our population down to your levels, everything we do will always dwarf anything that happens in Canada.

Old 06-15-2022, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
LOL until we get our population down to your levels, everything we do will always dwarf anything that happens in Canada.
That's your argument? So what was the purpose of your other post if the US will just dwarf other countries?

You do know what per capita means?

https://www.healthdata.org/acting-da...states-outlier

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsan...t-of-the-world

Last edited by Natnasci; 06-15-2022 at 02:35 PM..

Old 06-16-2022, 11:28 AM

88,515 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Went to a Canadian dentist today to get some broken teeth extracted before the next step. It was rather amusing.

He asked me about my guns, half smiling. I told him I live in one of the US states with stricter gun laws, and that I've never held or fired a gun in my life except for one time twenty years ago when visiting my sister in the mountains and her S.O. showed me and my other sister and our daughters how to fire a shotgun at clay pigeons.

Then he said I sounded like a Canadian, which brought a burst of laughter from the hygienist, who has seen me before, and said, "oh no, wait until she talks more, you'll hear it."

Please tell me youse guys don't REALLY think we all have guns!

Old 06-16-2022, 12:15 PM

1,119 posts, read 606,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Went to a Canadian dentist today to get some broken teeth extracted before the next step. It was rather amusing.

He asked me about my guns, half smiling. I told him I live in one of the US states with stricter gun laws, and that I've never held or fired a gun in my life except for one time twenty years ago when visiting my sister in the mountains and her S.O. showed me and my other sister and our daughters how to fire a shotgun at clay pigeons.

Then he said I sounded like a Canadian, which brought a burst of laughter from the hygienist, who has seen me before, and said, "oh no, wait until she talks more, you'll hear it."

Living in a big urban center, guns are quite rare among us "regular" folks. None of my friends own any firearms. Well, some acquaintances may have a shotgun or rifle because he hunts.

The thing is we Canadians hear so much noise about how much Americans looooooooooooooove their guns. The one that sticks in my mind is that numbskull who purposely walked into a Walmart open carrying an assault rifle (Texas?) shortly after there was a public shooting. He did it to "prove" that he has a "God given right" to carry.

Then there is the infamous NRA saying and the image is seared in my head with Heston: "I'll give you my gun when you pry (or take) it from my cold, dead hands"

We obviously have our gun nuts here too, but not even close to the degree that you guys do :P

Old 06-16-2022, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HodgePodge View Post
Living in a big urban center, guns are quite rare among us "regular" folks. None of my friends own any firearms. Well, some acquaintances may have a shotgun or rifle because he hunts.

The thing is we Canadians hear so much noise about how much Americans looooooooooooooove their guns. The one that sticks in my mind is that numbskull who purposely walked into a Walmart open carrying an assault rifle (Texas?) shortly after there was a public shooting. He did it to "prove" that he has a "God given right" to carry.

Then there is the infamous NRA saying and the image is seared in my head with Heston: "I'll give you my gun when you pry (or take) it from my cold, dead hands"

We obviously have our gun nuts here too, but not even close to the degree that you guys do :P
Yeah, I remember Heston saying that. What a doofus. He shoulda stuck to being Ben Hur.

My point was that I was assumed to have/asked if I had a gun because I am an American. Even though we certainly do have gun nuts, most of MY friends don't own guns, either! One of my sisters does, mostly because she used to hunt when she was younger, but she also keeps a handgun in a holster bolted to the wooden frame of her waterbed, which I found hilarious. She's in the boonies, and she's got a straight line of sight from her bed to her back door.

I never wanted a gun. I am clumsy, and always thought I'd likely shoot my own foot or kill one of my cats. For the record, I lived in New Jersey (which does have stricter gun laws than some other states) and worked in NYC all my life. I've never felt I had to be so fearful that I'd need a weapon. The only time I was ever attacked and my life was in danger, they used a plane. A gun wouldn't have helped, either. Wear shoes you can run in and always know where the exits are.

I just thought it was a weird thing to ask a grey-haired woman in her 60s just because she's from the USA. But, TV influences Canadians too, I guess.

Old 06-16-2022, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

I don't think that at all. The dentist was joking..I hope

I do think that there are too many guns floating around in the US though and that organizations like the NRA have drifted from their intended purpose.

Legal gun owners in the US always say that they aren't the problem....but when more than 380,000 guns a year are stolen in the US from legal gun owners...that can't be a good thing.

https://truckvault.com/post/gun-theft-america

Old 06-16-2022, 02:06 PM

Oh I think there are too many guns, too. The problem is that the ones who do love their guns REALLY love them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada