Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2009, 07:36 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,025,900 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkgg7 View Post
Instead of being dominated by Hispanics, Canada will definitely see a much larger presence of Chinese, Korean and Indians. Look at some parts of Vancouver like Richmond. The entire city becomes chinatown.
On the other hand, this is the only way Canada can continue to exist. For every 3 white Canadians who die, only one baby is born. I won't be surprised to see Caucasians cease to be the majority in major Canadian cities such as Vancouver and Toronto in a few decades.
and for every 1 American that moves to Toronto there are 3 Canadians moving to the US

Old 10-15-2009, 09:07 AM

2,574 posts, read 2,490,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
Do you know Manhattan as well =as you 'know' Toronto? He has a bargain for what he pays in the area esp since he lives in a modern building with a doorman. He needs parking as he DRIVES to work in NJ. So YES you do need a car in the city.. depending on where you work. Some people DO have cars in the city for weekend getaways. I did when I lived in the city.87

AS FOR TAXES:

Income tax for NYC residents is 7.85 for State (rate for people making between 20k-200k) plus 3.15 (or 3.20 if making over 90k) for city income tax. So in effect that is 11% plus Federal rate (34k to 171k of income is taxed at 25%)

Federal rate for Canada is 15% on first 40,726, 22% on next 40,726 , 26% on next 44,812. Ontario is 9.15% on income of 36,849-73,698.

So on income of 75k USD and 75k CAD:
Ontario resident 6109+7549 (Federal) + 6862 (Province) = 20520 tax
NYC resident 18750 (federal) + 5888 (state) + 2362 (city) = 27000
NY resident, outside of NYC 18750 (Federal) + 5888 (State) = 24638

New Yorkers are taxed higher, not counting deductions. A resident of Toronto pays lower taxes and this includes health cover.
What kind of people earn 75K in NYC...? Any examples ?

Old 10-15-2009, 02:27 PM

2,811 posts, read 5,629,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityboy2 View Post
Universal health care in Canada is looking more and more favorable to "all" American citizens. Be glad you have it... it's a luxury most countries don't have.
Actually most countries DO have it- America is one of the FEW that treats health care as a for-profit business instead of just a basic service all citizens are entitled to.

Old 10-15-2009, 06:37 PM

701 posts, read 1,901,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm31828 View Post
Actually most countries DO have it- America is one of the FEW that treats health care as a for-profit business instead of just a basic service all citizens are entitled to.
Such "entitlement" is controversial as it is not paid by the government but rather money from other taxpayers many of whom didn't need such universal insurance in the first place. For example, my tax has been paid to cover health care of those who are poor but choose to have 6 kids. Those who are single or choose not to have kids are always punished for choosing their lifestyle.
So it is really hard to argue anyone is "entitled" to free health care.

Old 10-15-2009, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrymiafl View Post
USA has only ...pros...

CAN has only...cons,as they say in french...
So France will be the ultimate evil country in your mind? Be a little open-minded and try to accept the fact that Anglophones do need to learn foreign languages if ever go out of the Anglo-Saxon countries.

Old 10-15-2009, 07:15 PM

1,863 posts, read 5,151,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrymiafl View Post
What kind of people earn 75K in NYC...? Any examples ?
There are lots of people who earn less than 75K, 75K and more than 75K in NYC. How much do you think people in NYC earn?

Old 10-15-2009, 10:45 PM

287 posts, read 1,010,700 times
Quote:
Such "entitlement" is controversial as it is not paid by the government but rather money from other taxpayers many of whom didn't need such universal insurance in the first place. For example, my tax has been paid to cover health care of those who are poor but choose to have 6 kids. Those who are single or choose not to have kids are always punished for choosing their lifestyle.
Yeah OK, let's see if you'll say the same thing if you get sick or in an accident.

Old 10-16-2009, 12:16 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,333,625 times
Quote:
Firstly, there is no controversy in Canada regarding universal health care. The vast majority of Canadians support it. And I'm wondering what exactly you mean when you say that there are taxpayers who don't "need such universal health insurance in the first place."

Are there people anywhere who never need to see a doctor? Have you never seen a doctor in your life?

Those childless people you mention as subsidizing people with many children - they have no hobbies/lifestyle choices that put them at risk of injury? They have no investment in the future of this country or its citizens?

There is a famous quote by Javier Perez de Cuellar: The measure of a society is how it treats its weakest members.

And moreover, Hubert Humphrey said: The moral test of a government is how it treats those who are at the dawn of life, the children; those who are in the twilight of life, the aged; and those who are in the shadow of life, the sick and the needy, and the handicapped.

Unless I'm misunderstanding your post, what you suggest or are implying, is morally wrong. No one should die anywhere in the world, or be refused treatment based on an ability to pay. Doctors who go into their profession purely for money are in the wrong profession.

Old 10-16-2009, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Firstly, there is no controversy in Canada regarding universal health care. The vast majority of Canadians support it. And I'm wondering what exactly you mean when you say that there are taxpayers who don't "need such universal health insurance in the first place."

Are there people anywhere who never need to see a doctor? Have you never seen a doctor in your life?

Those childless people you mention as subsidizing people with many children - they have no hobbies/lifestyle choices that put them at risk of injury? They have no investment in the future of this country or its citizens?

There is a famous quote by Javier Perez de Cuellar: The measure of a society is how it treats its weakest members.

And moreover, Hubert Humphrey said: The moral test of a government is how it treats those who are at the dawn of life, the children; those who are in the twilight of life, the aged; and those who are in the shadow of life, the sick and the needy, and the handicapped.

Unless I'm misunderstanding your post, what you suggest or are implying, is morally wrong. No one should die anywhere in the world, or be refused treatment based on an ability to pay. Doctors who go into their profession purely for money are in the wrong profession.
I don't want to go further about medical care in this thread, but my point is: if someone makes $20,000 a year, just don't have 6 kids expecting the "government" (or rather, other taxpayers who otherwise wouldn't have to pay so much tax) will take care of them. I hate to see the well-intended social protection system being abused, in Canada and the US.
http://www.nationalchildbenefit.ca/e...children.shtml
So if a low income family irresponsibly chooses to have 4 kids, they are "entitled" to received over $1000 each month. Such "benefit" comes out of my and your pocket, not the noble government. If the parents choose to have only 1 child, which they can afford, they may not be the "weak" or "needy" as mentioned by Humphrey in the first place.

Last edited by kkgg7; 10-16-2009 at 07:29 AM..

Old 10-16-2009, 07:39 AM

1,863 posts, read 5,151,288 times
Quote:
My point was, the system that intends to protect the weak is susceptible to abuse. In the United States, many Hispanics simply choose to have as many children as they want, as each child comes with a certain amount of subsidy from the government so that they can live on those subsidies and coupons and don't even need to work. In Canada, I believe the government pays you a few hundred dollars a month for each child you have until they reach 18 (below a certain income level). Who are paying for the necessities of those children? Not their legal parents, but you and me. Are we responsible for their choice to have 6 children while unable to raise them in a decent manner? No. Let's not always talk about "the government should, the country should". Each cent from the government comes from our pocket.

As to the right to receive medical care, I reserve the right to believe that everyone needs to earn such rights by working (except of course, the handicapped). If a healthy 25 year old is too lazy to look for jobs (trust me, there are plenty of them on the streets), he is not entitled to such rights. If you make $20,000 a year, just don't have 4 kids, is it so hard?
Don't agree with your point of view. There is something wrong in your way of thinking. There wil always be people who abuse the system, but there are even more who needs and are entitled to receive government help. Every society needs kids today to sustain in the future. I'm fine with paying more in taxes to support such people. I want to be sure I'd be taken care of in the time of need, too. I especially disagree with you regarding health / medical care. I strongly believe it is a human right and should be treated as such in every society. Like somebody in this thread said, what kind of doctors are those people who choose their profession because the amount of money they can earn?

Just give you one example: Me and my spouse both have jobs and a very good health insurance. We have a family plan with my wife's employer. The plan covers pretty much everything, including dental and vision care. We want to move. Do you know what happens if we quit our jobs and move? Cobra will cost us $1,500 per month from our own pockets to have the insurance we have today. In addition to that, we have to pay daycare for our child. Do you know how much is daycare in US? Dude, you have no idea. Of course, you may say we choose our "lifestyle". You can say it's our fault we want to move. However, there is statistics showing that there many people in US who don't hate their jobs, but stay just because of health insurance. You think, it's ok?

Listen, I'm paying taxes now. They go to support anybody else every single day, and that is fine. I think humans should take care of each other. We live in a society. One way or the other, you receive those benefits, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada