Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2009, 04:49 AM

4,180 posts, read 14,603,482 times

Advertisements

In general, Canadian cities have less crime, are cleaner, have better transit options, have more active downtown areas, and a more educated populace. The Canadian countryside has less aggravating annoyances (example: their billboards are not as big, less traffic, less sprawl). The Canadian Rockies don't have as many condos built all over them. When traveling through the Canadian plains, I got a greater sense of their beauty because their were not as many annoyances.

Canada is not as diverse as the states. And Canada does not have as much geographical diversity as the states. They do not have the Florida Keys for example. The desert landscapes are missing. The high mountain ranges of the east in the states are wonderful. And of course, the states have New York City--the most exciting city in North America.

Old 01-24-2009, 02:25 PM

3 posts, read 8,860 times
How are Canadian cities clean LOL, I don't get it i've been to all major Canadian cities, none of them can compare to Houston, Palm Springs, Santa Barbara, Austin, Orlando, Pensacola, the list is endless.

Have any of my fellow Americans actually used Canadian transit? Its pretty dirty and full of bums and vagrancy.

Imagine standing in bitter cold weather, waiting for the c train on an LRT platform , while there are drug deals going on all around you, native Americans drunk and stoned on benches, homeless people asking you for money that's the reality.

Would you rather have that, or driving on smooth wide Texas highway in your own heated Suv, I'll take the latter option any day.

Trust me Americans have it damn good, we have no idea.

No country on earth has these sorts of opportunities , or lifestyle, unless you are a citizen of one of those Rich Gulf Arab nations like the UAE (who probably even outdo us in glitz and glamor, and every citizen gets like $6000 a month for doing nothing)

But the U.S owns Canada, and people in Canada are just bitter and jealous of the states, the jealousy and hatred is really extreme, like a hissing wounded animal, and I agree with a previous poster who stated Canadians would probably kill Americans if they were able to without any consequences.

Old 01-26-2009, 12:30 AM

482 posts, read 2,419,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioUberAlles View Post
I've been to Canada about a dozen times, how many times do I have to go there before I can have an opinion about the nation?

I've been to Alberta (once), British Columbia (once), and Ontario (repeatedly).

Aside from nice snow-capped mountains in BC there wasn't much that interested me.

Canada is sort of like a Ned Flanders version of the United States. Everything is goody goody but you just know they yearn for the day when they can pronounce their judgement on you.

When dealing with lots of Canadians, I definitely get a sense that there is a strong hatred of America and conservative/individualist values, engrained deeply in Canadian culture and education. It is almost part of their mentality. My father often said that most Canadians would kill us if they had the chance.
You really should come to Alberta again. Specifically Calgary... You'd find one place in Canada that doesn't live up to your hypothesis...

I will add though that one reason why Canadians might not like the US so much is because many times we are treated poorly by your Customs/Immigration folks. I understand rules but they don't need to be boors about it... First impressions really do count...

Old 01-26-2009, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakedfish View Post
How are Canadian cities clean LOL, I don't get it i've been to all major Canadian cities, none of them can compare to Houston, Palm Springs, Santa Barbara, Austin, Orlando, Pensacola, the list is endless.

Have any of my fellow Americans actually used Canadian transit? Its pretty dirty and full of bums and vagrancy.

Imagine standing in bitter cold weather, waiting for the c train on an LRT platform , while there are drug deals going on all around you, native Americans drunk and stoned on benches, homeless people asking you for money that's the reality.

Would you rather have that, or driving on smooth wide Texas highway in your own heated Suv, I'll take the latter option any day.

No country on earth has these sorts of opportunities , or lifestyle, unless you are a citizen of one of those Rich Gulf Arab nations like the UAE (who probably even outdo us in glitz and glamor, and every citizen gets like $6000 a month for doing nothing)

But the U.S owns Canada, and people in Canada are just bitter and jealous of the states, the jealousy and hatred is really extreme, like a hissing wounded animal, and I agree with a previous poster who stated Canadians would probably kill Americans if they were able to without any consequences.
I will admit, for a mid-size backwater town Calgary is a ripoff... Infrastructure is severely lacking and the C-Trains sucks for lack of a better word. No wonder parking is $30/day downtown... That being said, the Canadian Rockies and Prairies are more beautiful and the cities more functional than the equivalent US cities, even if Canada is a rip-off by world standards.

Old 01-26-2009, 07:21 AM

1,009 posts, read 876,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajau View Post
You really should come to Alberta again. Specifically Calgary... You'd find one place in Canada that doesn't live up to your hypothesis...

I will add though that one reason why Canadians might not like the US so much is because many times we are treated poorly by your Customs/Immigration folks. I understand rules but they don't need to be boors about it... First impressions really do count...

American customs treat everybody poorly. When he was a young man my uncle went to Canada (he drove with his car), I believe to Niagra Falls and Toronto. When he came back the US customs didn't believe a young man of his age could afford the sort of car he had (he saved his money from his military days), so they took his car apart, piece by piece, looking for hidden stashes of drugs. They found nothing, so they told him he could put his car back together and go on his way.

Old 01-26-2009, 10:34 PM

Quote:
American customs treat everybody poorly. When he was a young man my uncle went to Canada (he drove with his car), I believe to Niagra Falls and Toronto. When he came back the US customs didn't believe a young man of his age could afford the sort of car he had (he saved his money from his military days), so they took his car apart, piece by piece, looking for hidden stashes of drugs. They found nothing, so they told him he could put his car back together and go on his way.
That kind of stuff still goes on, on both sides of the border... Basically any male under 25 who drives a car that looks worth more than $25,000 is going to get the "do you own this car?" question, at the minimum.

But yeah, you should really come to Calgary for Stampede in July http://www.calgarystampede.com for some Alberta hospitality... It will be more of what you're used to in the Midwest US...

Old 01-26-2009, 10:44 PM

Quote:
That kind of stuff still goes on, on both sides of the border... Basically any male under 25 who drives a car that looks worth more than $25,000 is going to get the "do you own this car?" question, at the minimum.

But yeah, you should really come to Calgary for Stampede in July http://www.calgarystampede.com for some Alberta hospitality... It will be more of what you're used to in the Midwest US...
That would entail a two or three day drive across the USA, and I'd have to leave my concealed carry pistol at home, since I cannot take it to Canada, I cannot even leave it stored at a border checkpoint to pick up on my way home.

I've been to Canada over a dozen times, and narrowly escaped being mugged a number of times (at least I thought it was going to close to coming to that)- I've never had anything less than a knife on me, but with the way crime is in Canada these days, there are some places I wouldn't go to without tactical body armor and an AR-15.

Correct me if I'm wrong but Calgary is basically becoming a gang infested nightmare. It's no Cleveland of Canada, but it's basically getting there (it won't be long before it gets a murder every day or every two days).

Old 01-26-2009, 10:49 PM

Quote:

Do they do bull-fighting?

Old 01-26-2009, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakedfish View Post

Not to mention you have to worry about whether or not the guy sitting next to you on the bus will chop your head off and parade around with it, while the other 30-40 people on the bus not only fail to help, but simply run around like fools.

Here in the USA, it is highly likely that at least 1-2 people on a bus with 30-40 people would have a concealed pistol and could stop such an attack. Even still, it's quite likely 3-4 people would pile on the attacker, even if they didn't have pistols to use.

In Canada I believe everybody has to know, on some level, if they come under attack in public, they're on their own... This is the way it is in many big cities. A woman was brutally attacked and raped in Cleveland while waiting for a train, she was attacked at the station/platform.

I speak from experience in that matter, a friend and I actually stopped what we believed was a rape in progress (it wound up just being an assault, maybe an attempted kidnapping, hard to tell, all we knew was a guy was beating a woman up and trying to subdue her and get her on the ground, telling her to a shut up as he grabbed her and struck her), as a dozen other men (many of them certainly Cleveland folks), simply walked on by as the woman was screaming for help.

If you're attacked in Cleveland, unless you happen to have the police walk by you, or a non-Clevelander happen upon you, you're on your own. Heck, you might be on your own anyway.

Old 01-27-2009, 08:16 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,298,702 times
Quote:
That would entail a two or three day drive across the USA, and I'd have to leave my concealed carry pistol at home, since I cannot take it to Canada, I cannot even leave it stored at a border checkpoint to pick up on my way home.

I've been to Canada over a dozen times, and narrowly escaped being mugged a number of times (at least I thought it was going to close to coming to that)- I've never had anything less than a knife on me, but with the way crime is in Canada these days, there are some places I wouldn't go to without tactical body armor and an AR-15.

Correct me if I'm wrong but Calgary is basically becoming a gang infested nightmare. It's no Cleveland of Canada, but it's basically getting there (it won't be long before it gets a murder every day or every two days).
There were 36 last year. Cleveland had 20 in 2007, but is 1/3 the size of Calgary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada