Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2009, 08:19 AM

1,009 posts, read 876,376 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
There were 36 last year. Cleveland had 20 in 2007, but is 1/3 the size of Calgary.

Cleveland had about 150 murders in 2007. Calgary has about 1,000,000 living in the city proper, while Cleveland has less than 450,000. Please get the right numbers

Old 01-27-2009, 08:30 AM

4,301 posts, read 7,036,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
Actually it was Canada that won that war. We burned Washington.
Me thinks you need a history lesson. Canada did not win the war, Canada didn't even exist, it was all British. Keep in mind that it was a rowdy bunch of Americans who burned the Canadian capital. Had Russia not stepped in and set up a truce, the US probably would have joined Napoleon and helped him win against his enemies in Europe (by keeping Britain occupied with Canada). As a reward, we probably would have gotten any British holdings in North American - including Canada. The war was turning in favor of the Americans anyways (Battle of New Orleans).

So if were Canadian, I would be thanking my lucky starts that the Russians came in and saved your frozen hides .

Old 01-27-2009, 08:54 AM

1 posts, read 2,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonjj View Post
In general, Canadian cities have less crime, are cleaner, have better transit options, have more active downtown areas, and a more educated populace. The Canadian countryside has less aggravating annoyances (example: their billboards are not as big, less traffic, less sprawl). The Canadian Rockies don't have as many condos built all over them. When traveling through the Canadian plains, I got a greater sense of their beauty because their were not as many annoyances.
I agree with that Sir. I'm staying in the Maritimes - here in Halifax right now. It is one of the cleanest, most polite cities I've been to

__________________________________________________ ___________
Don't Agonize, Organize! - www.organizeanything.com

Old 01-27-2009, 09:48 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,059,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioUberAlles View Post
Cleveland had about 150 murders in 2007. Calgary has about 1,000,000 living in the city proper, while Cleveland has less than 450,000. Please get the right numbers
It varies from year to year, but generally speaking the highest murder rates for Canadian cities (generally found in Prairie cities like Winnipeg, Calgary, Saskatoon and Edmonton) are roughly in line with the rates of the U.S. cities where the rate is the lowest (think Honolulu, San Diego, Portland, Austin). Say, between 3 and 5 murders per 100,000 people.

Old 01-27-2009, 09:49 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,298,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioUberAlles View Post
My bad. I pulled the raw number for Calgary, and the Rate for Cleveland.

Old 01-27-2009, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie117 View Post
Me thinks you need a history lesson. Canada did not win the war, Canada didn't even exist, it was all British. Keep in mind that it was a rowdy bunch of Americans who burned the Canadian capital. Had Russia not stepped in and set up a truce, the US probably would have joined Napoleon and helped him win against his enemies in Europe (by keeping Britain occupied with Canada). As a reward, we probably would have gotten any British holdings in North American - including Canada. The war was turning in favor of the Americans anyways (Battle of New Orleans).

So if were Canadian, I would be thanking my lucky starts that the Russians came in and saved your frozen hides .
Check your facts.

Upper and Lower Canada were brought into existance in 1791. Upper Canada being primarily English and Lower Canada being primarily French. The peace was brokered in Belgium, and Napoleon was in exile on Elba while the war took place, and didn't escape until just after the Treaty of Ghent was signed. The US sacked York, but couldn't hold any territory. On the signing of the treaty, the US had lands returned to them.

Sorry for the thread-jack

Old 01-27-2009, 10:36 AM

1,459 posts, read 3,299,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajau View Post
You really should come to Alberta again. Specifically Calgary... You'd find one place in Canada that doesn't live up to your hypothesis...

I will add though that one reason why Canadians might not like the US so much is because many times we are treated poorly by your Customs/Immigration folks. I understand rules but they don't need to be boors about it... First impressions really do count...

I live just south of the Canadian border in Washington. Can't tell you how many times retailers are harassed by Canadians.

"Why don't you give par for our dollars even though the banks are only buying at 78 cents on the dollar"
"why don't you accept Interact??"
"why don't you accept Canadian?"
"why don't you carry **Canadian product**?"

I have yet to encounter a US citizen going into Canada and demanding these things.

Vancouver is a clean city compared to many in the US.

Canadian women do seem to keep themselves better looking than most US.

Canadians are also the biggest criticizers of US politics. Last time I was up there was a nice car, someone took liberty on posting anti-war flyers all over my car.

Old 01-27-2009, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freebird2007 View Post

Canadians are also the biggest criticizers of US politics. Last time I was up there was a nice car, someone took liberty on posting anti-war flyers all over my car.

If I caught somebody plastering crap all over my car, they'd better hope they're a Canadian, because they'll be needing that nice free medical care system by the time I'd be done with them.

Old 01-27-2009, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freebird2007 View Post
I live just south of the Canadian border in Washington. Can't tell you how many times retailers are harassed by Canadians.

"Why don't you give par for our dollars even though the banks are only buying at 78 cents on the dollar"
"why don't you accept Interact??"
"why don't you accept Canadian?"
"why don't you carry **Canadian product**?"

What the heck is Interact?

Old 01-27-2009, 11:16 AM

Like paying by debit in the US. The only difference is that you actually use your bank ATM card instead of a debit card backed by your bank account under the pretense of a credit card.

There's lots of stupid travellers both ways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada