Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 10:06 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,334,415 times

Advertisements

The US Dollar buys 1.25 Canadian.

That's a pro.

Old 10-24-2008, 08:31 PM

1,020 posts, read 1,895,855 times
Why hasn't anyone mentioned "Hockey Night in Canada"? Is there a better show about hockey? Why can't we have that down here?

Old 10-27-2008, 05:24 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,334,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
The US Dollar buys 1.25 Canadian.

That's a pro.
Make that 1.29....

Old 10-27-2008, 05:52 PM

4 posts, read 18,965 times
Everybody keeps talking about how high the taxes are. Does anybody have any hard numbers? My husband has been offered a job in the Okanagan Valley for $25/hour. Is that a fair, livable wage considering some of the higher costs of things than America? How much money will he actually net?

Old 10-28-2008, 06:32 PM

315 posts, read 1,624,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legendary View Post
Everybody keeps talking about how high the taxes are. Does anybody have any hard numbers? My husband has been offered a job in the Okanagan Valley for $25/hour. Is that a fair, livable wage considering some of the higher costs of things than America? How much money will he actually net?
For $52,000 per year, you will live a very simple life in BC. The issue is not as much in what you net but more in what you will spend from day to day.

Most things in British Columbia are expensive than in Montana. Gas, clothes, food, entertainment, consumer goods, car insurance, et al.

Don't underestimate the expense in sales taxes. The 12% (GST & PST) tax in BC is huge compared to the 0% in Montana.

Old 10-28-2008, 06:41 PM

3,326 posts, read 8,862,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valeriege View Post
I currently live in Miami and I've been here for a bit over 10 years. I'm originally from Venezuela. My plans are to move to Canada once I'm done with school here. I'M IN LOVE WITH CANADA.
I know, lots of people would do anything to live here, but I just can't wait to get out of this melting pot of trash people. I am hispanic myself, so I won't say the trashy people down here in Miami are all the hispanics. But I've noticed that all hispanic people that come to Miami, are good for nothing. all they do here, is hate on each other. They envy everyone that is successful, they are rude, no education, no discipline...and as we hispanics say "chusmeria total". They don't respect anybody and they think they deserve the world without earning it first. I am sick of having people around me that are no good and only wish me wrong. I need to be around civilized people, lol. Been a few times to Canada, and I've noticed a completely different atmosphere. People are so educated it's hard to believe. I have met one or two here and there that as soon as you say you're from America, they completely change, so I've stopped saying I'm from America.
Other than the people from Miami, Miami has been cruel to my family as well. We've worked hard to get to where we are. I moved here with my mother and younger sister without having anybody to rely on, no friends or family. we worked, and worked hard for our dreams, until everything seemed good. We owned our own beauty salon, we bought a house, cars, invested in properties, etc. Then the economy started getting worse and worse and I'm sure all of you have heard of the issue we have here with foreclosures. Making the long story short, we lost everything we owned. the business, the houses, the cars, everything. God is huge and is by our side.
Just wanted to tell you Canadians you have beautiful people and a beautiful country that do not discriminate anybody, and as I've seen for myself, you seem to accept anybody willing to succeed. My dream is to live up there with you guys,lol. I guess I rather deal with the harsh winter then the foreclosures and uncivilized people down here.
Miami is one of the absolute worst places in the U.S. I don't blame you for wanting to leave.
Some of my favorite states are the ones that border Canada. Maine, Minnesota.... the latter may or may not be anything like parts of Canada, but it fits some of the stereotypes in a good way.
I'm not too envious of Canada's healthcare. I make less than 40k a year, yet I do have insurance through the workplace, and it doesn't leave me destitute, because I live in a very affordable area. It also happens to be very good insurance.
I don't know about Canada, but the U.S. government is far too inept to be in control of healthcare. It doesn't matter which party is in power, they're both pretty bad. There's also very little difference anymore between Democrats and Republicans. I think we're ready for a new party to rise up.

Old 10-30-2008, 02:20 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,293,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardius View Post
Why hasn't anyone mentioned "Hockey Night in Canada"? Is there a better show about hockey? Why can't we have that down here?
Not the same since they lost the theme song.

Oh, and you can get HNIC including After Hours if you have the Centre Ice package on Dish/Cable

Old 10-30-2008, 09:24 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,749,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
Not the same since they lost the theme song.

Oh, and you can get HNIC including After Hours if you have the Centre Ice package on Dish/Cable

The musical score that signifies hockey to several generations is still heard sevral times a week as the theme music for hockey broadcasts on TSN.

Old 11-02-2008, 04:20 PM

6 posts, read 30,949 times
USA Pros
1.Great cities Like LA, New York City,Seattle,Chicago,Boston
2.Cost of living lower compared to Canada
3.Great National Parks (not saying Canada does not) But we have Yellowstone,Grand Canyon and Yosemite.
4.Free spirited people can make their dreams come true
USA CONS:
1. Our President is a idiot thank god he is leaving office soon
2. We like to start wars that are none of our business.
3. American view on immigration especially towards Mexico is screwed up
4. our health care system is messed up. I wish there was some form of National health care to help people that don't have health insurance
5. We are rude and crowd at least most of us are.

Canada Pros
1. I love the way they talk (No making fun of the Canadian accent)
2. Love there money it is so colorful (colourful)
3. A lot of movie stars and singers are from Canada so Canada keep pumping them out
4. Great Cities: I only been to Toronto but i am sure that Vancouver and Calgary and Edmonton and Montreal are wonderful too.
5. Love Niagara Falls Ontario ( Las Vegas of Canada)
6. National health Care
Cons
1 Prices are higher in Canada $5 a gallon of gas $10 for a pack of Cigarettes
$6 for a beer . $8 for a big mac meal
2. Some Canadian are a little rude at times But i would say 75% are very nice.
3 Canada uses the Metric System and I found out that 100k/mh is not 100 mph a stupid mistake but i am sure i am not the first.

Old 11-02-2008, 05:03 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,789,526 times
Pro: As a lesbian, I can marry my girlfriend in Canada and it be recognized by the federal governent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada